How slow can you go with a Hydro? (with video)

/ How slow can you go with a Hydro? (with video) #41  
All 3 HST's I've owned all got noiser toward the next oil change interval, and all quieted down after HST oil & filter change.

This must be elementary fluid mechanics, as K0ua notes. When I am constipated I make loud squealing noises as well. :rolleyes:

Higher pressure differential = louder fluid flow.

/ How slow can you go with a Hydro? (with video) #42  
My Kioti does not freewheel. On the other hand, my JD lawn mower will scare the bejezzus out of you going downhill. I complained about it to the local JD dealer and he refused to believe it.

My BX certainly won't freewheel. But my tiny JD STX38 sure would. Well, I guess that wasn't freewheeling. It was a full slide. Usually one wheel would let go before the other, so that one would spin backwards as the other one was tracking forward and the average of the 2 wheels was just slightly above 0, the speed I wanted. First time it happened scared the crap outta me. I mowed my hill in the fall for the kids to go sledding. Wide open at the bottom, so I just had to make sure to keep the steering wheel straight. :D That darn little STX38 was so light you could pick up the whole rear end just grabbing the rear fenders.

/ How slow can you go with a Hydro? (with video)
My BX certainly won't freewheel. But my tiny JD STX38 sure would. Well, I guess that wasn't freewheeling. It was a full slide. Usually one wheel would let go before the other, so that one would spin backwards as the other one was tracking forward and the average of the 2 wheels was just slightly above 0, the speed I wanted. First time it happened scared the crap outta me. I mowed my hill in the fall for the kids to go sledding. Wide open at the bottom, so I just had to make sure to keep the steering wheel straight. :D That darn little STX38 was so light you could pick up the whole rear end just grabbing the rear fenders.

I have had that slide thing happen with a gear tractor too, It is called a light rear end, and I was in 2wd going down a very steep slippery with gravel hill with a load in the bucket.. It was a stupid thing to do, and I did it. The compression braking is trying to slow the tractor down, but the contact patch to the roadway is too small and you don't have enough weight to stick the rear tires to the roadway, so the slide. If you are in 4wd, you have more contact patch to work with, and besides the front tires would have been heavily loaded, but in 2wd, they just went along for the ride.. Weeeeeh..:shocked:

/ How slow can you go with a Hydro? (with video) #44  
Interesting discussion. I hate to side track the OP's question, but someone else did already.

Dozers are getting HST transmissions more now.
The Hydrostatic Revolution: How crawler dozers became infinitely more versatile when stripped of their gears (VIDEO) | Equipment World | Construction Equipment, News and Information | Heavy Construction Equipment
Largest Hydrostatic Dozer In The World The Liebherr PR776 Demo @ Bauma 216 - YouTube

I'm genuinely curious how the transmission in the M8540 works. I'm wondering if someone will post a video operating that one.

/ How slow can you go with a Hydro? (with video) #45  
I used to pull cable, by myself, using the creeper gears in our Universal 445. I can't see using a hydro for that. I actually worked with a guy, that tried just that (we were pulling CCTV cable underground) with a boomer, and he just about ran him self over trying to operate the hydro pedal, from off the tractor.

The JD 110 has the neat little lever, but it is still not designed for unmanned operation.

/ How slow can you go with a Hydro? (with video) #46  
I used to pull cable, by myself, using the creeper gears in our Universal 445. I can't see using a hydro for that. I actually worked with a guy, that tried just that (we were pulling CCTV cable underground) with a boomer, and he just about ran him self over trying to operate the hydro pedal, from off the tractor.

The JD 110 has the neat little lever, but it is still not designed for unmanned operation.

You could do it with a boomer CVT. I just wrote up a review on my Case 55 CVT. After reading this I was curious how slow I could actually go with the cruise control set.

/ How slow can you go with a Hydro? (with video) #47  
That is SLOW!

/ How slow can you go with a Hydro? (with video)
I have seen paint dry faster than that.:)

/ How slow can you go with a Hydro? (with video) #49  
You got out of a moving tractor?! You daredevil! :laughing:

/ How slow can you go with a Hydro? (with video) #50  
You got out of a moving tractor?! You daredevil! :laughing:

Sure did. Just glad I didn't get caught by one of the tires. It would have been the slowest accident on record. I would have still been in the middle of it when the first responders arrived.