how to build your own custom backhoe subframe

/ how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #221  
I just scored the Kubota frame reinforcement kit B4681 for my 2400 - the one that strengthens the frame on each side from the rear axle assembly to the FEL. New old stock in OEM box with all hardware and instructions. Also found the reinforced toplink housing bracket and now have it in the workshop as well. Figured I would put them on regardless of the hoe I end up with. But if I found a B4672a ... it would be tempting to use use it as designed. Still looking for a hoe in the right price range and driving range....

/ how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #222  
And yet another interesting idea that I don't know I agree with. In this video (
) their subframe connects to the 3 point arm housing. They remove the 3 point arms and attach a plate to each side (where the arm slides off) that in turn bolts to the subframe. If the 3 point assembly area is strong enough this seems like a pretty nice set up. One could also make the plate on each side go up and bolt on to the ROPs assembly as well which would basically tie all the rear assembly together for the rear connection then go up to the front for the FEL tie in. Thoughts on this? Doing a quick search I think the ford unit below also uses the same theory of removing the arms and using the 3 point arm shaft to hold the subframe.

Attachments

• 3 pt bracket sub frame drawing.JPG
    3 pt bracket sub frame drawing.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 72
  • subframe for 3 pt possibly.jpg
    subframe for 3 pt possibly.jpg
    563.3 KB · Views: 73
  • ford 3 pt frame too.jpg
    ford 3 pt frame too.jpg
    709.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
   / how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #223  
I'm not a big fan of the backhoes on the little tractors. I do have one on my little Kioti CK2620. It does work, it takes time to do much but it is much better then a pick and shovel.
As far as the sub frames the Kioti one seems fairly well thought out and is fairly easy to drop and reconnect the hoe, and does not need the 3 point arms to be removed.

/ how to build your own custom backhoe subframe
Thoughts on this? Doing a quick search I think the ford unit below also uses the same theory of removing the arms and using the 3 point arm shaft to hold the subframe.
This is a common older design for subframes. The video shows a Chinese LW-7 backhoe attachment, and it desperately needs a rigid toplink, which is not mentioned. I also think those light-duty 3-point pins, used to support the subframe, are too far inboard and not strong enough.

The Ford subframe in your photo is better, but a toplink will reduce the bending stresses where the 45-degree brackets attach to the horizontal beams. This is where the similar Kioti subframes, mentioned above, fail.

/ how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #225  
Major Update: backhoe secured. I got a great deal on a BH650-2 Woods backhoe. Included pump. And not advertised but installed was a sub frame for I think an old B7100. And to my shocking surprise it fits my B2400! I haven't seen this idea before so I am posting pictures. It is unbolted from the hoe frame in these pics as I removed it and put on 3 point pins so a friend could use it today. The sub frame attaches to the rear end housing at the point where the 3 pt arms connect (at the bottom, remove the arms and slide on) and then at two tabs that are about 24 inches forward welded on the tractor. The sub frame bolts on to the hoe where the pins are currently installed. It appears use a toplink connection as well as the subframe. Does not have any of the Saf-T-Lok system as it has the subframe instead of 3 point. See photos below. It was working well today on my friends L Kubota until the boom cylinder started leaking. Have the rebuild kit - that's tomorrow mornings project.

The third picture is a pretty similar set up as it looks to hang on the 3 point arm mount as well. Mine is the first picture on the piece of wood.

So who made this style of sub frame and are there any known issues with it (other than the hassle of removing the arms)? Thanks.

Attachments

• newSubFrame.jpg
    newSubFrame.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
  • my_woods650.jpg
    my_woods650.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 75
  • woods75mnt.jpg
    woods75mnt.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 75
   / how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #226  
Anyone see this kind of subframe before? I still can not find out who made it (Woods? Kubota?) and if there are inherent weakness to this design. I can modify it to strengthen this style once I know of any issues it may have. I plan to use it with a reinforced toplink and HD toplink bracket (Kubota) to help stabilize the hoe. I could add some arms to come down from the top of the hoe frame (near where the toplink attaches) to the sub frame if that would help. Just looking for anyone who has used one of these or knows of them.

The tab picture is from youtube - not my tractor but it looks like this minus the bar/pin. The submount goes between these tabs and looks to be secured with the 9 inch pin in my photo.

Thanks.

Attachments

• newSubFrame.jpg
    newSubFrame.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • new sub frame mounting.jpg
    new sub frame mounting.jpg
    886.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 3pt sub connection.jpg
    3pt sub connection.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • pin mount.jpg
    pin mount.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 58
  • tabs.JPG
    tabs.JPG
    306.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
   / how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #227  
Found it I think... It's a woods bh6500 subframe kit number 9267. It appears it might use a bracket instead of the two tabs on my frame. I tied to test fit it on my b2400 and the rear pin fitment is really tight, but will work. The front connection point is not compatible with the B2400. While there are two tabs there, the subframe itself would hit other parts of the tractor in order to get aligned. The parts image from woods shows a separate intermediate bracket in the diagram. I think I will just modify the subframe to continue on up to the FEL mounting point, which is probably stronger and will have more leverage anyway. I don't like the idea of removing the lift arms to install the subframe/backhoe each time but for now I'm at a loss without major fabrication.

FYI - the specs on the BH650-2 Woods backhoe shows it is slightly less powerful and slightly smaller than the Kubota B4672 backhoe. Oddly the B4672 came as a 3 pt with safety bar (and super reinforced toplink). Also required frame strenghten kit and HD toplink - which I have.

Attachments

• bh6500 subframe kit 9267.JPG
    bh6500 subframe kit 9267.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 48
  • newSubFrame.jpg
    newSubFrame.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
Last edited:
   / how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #228  
I was wondering if you gents would be able to take a minute and look over my proposed backhoe subframe project before I buy steel to build it. I recently purchased a ford 345C tractor and it came with a woods 1050 backhoe. Hopefully the pictures show up on the post. My plans are to buy 5" C-Channel for the frame. From the pictures, do you think this plan is acceptable? I have not figured out how to attach the backhoe (the last picture is a potential way) to the proposed 4 point as the woods 1050 doesnt have much metal to work with on the top side. I will attach pics of the 1050 soon.

Attachments

• rear looking forward modified.png
    rear looking forward modified.png
    623 KB · Views: 58
  • sideimage.png
    sideimage.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 56
  • top view.PNG
    top view.PNG
    922.2 KB · Views: 59
  • potential.PNG
    potential.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
   / how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #229  
This is a picture from the web of the 1050 backhoe. The steel surrounding the top is only sheet metal and the top link attachment point is really the only point I can see to attach to. Do you think I can come off the top link and make a bracket to accept the two top points of the 4 link?

Attachments

• FF9064S.JPG
    FF9064S.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
   / how to build your own custom backhoe subframe
Do you think I can come off the top link and make a bracket to accept the two top points of the 4 link?
I see the photo you posted of the 1050 homemade rigid toplink. You should do something like that to enhance the stiffness of the subframe you are making.

It is hard to tell exactly how your design works in the other pix you posted. Do you plan to use PTO pump, or the tractor's hydraulics?