how to build your own custom backhoe subframe

/ how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #231  
I will be running off the PTO pump that came with the 1050 backhoe. The attached picture may help clear things up. The C-Channel will slide into the pin/dowel on the loader arm in the picture and bolt onto the loader frame at the rear axle area. I will then need to fab a 4 point system going back from that point. I may tie into the rear axle itself or ROPS to help support the top two mounting points. The pin/ dowel is 2" diameter and I think is used as a mounting point for a factory ford backhoe subframe?

Attachments

• top view modified.png
    top view modified.png
    700.2 KB · Views: 72
   / how to build your own custom backhoe subframe
I may tie into the rear axle itself or ROPS to help support the top two mounting points. The pin/ dowel is 2" diameter and I think is used as a mounting point for a factory ford backhoe subframe?
The fact that your loader subframe goes all the way to the rear axle is great. Your tractor is industrial strength, not a CUT. Use it for your mounts if you can. The lower ROPS bracket is great to use, too, in addition to other mounting places.

Of the 10 Prairie Dog backhoe attachments I bought, only one was the Woods 1050 copy, the Prairie Dog 10 1/2.. It went on a largish RanchHand farm tractor in AZ, more than 10y ago. I helped the owner with making a subframe, but I have no pix.

/ how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #233  
Update on B2400 sub frame project. I have mounted the OEM sub frame stiffener 4681 on the B2400 (see pic below). I will post a few pics of this as well as the HD toplink later as finding the data on the 4681 OEM kit is getting harder as time goes on. I decided to mount the OEM stiffener first then customize the woods hoe subframe to work around/with it. My goal now is the extend the woods sub frame (see pic below for rear attachment placement) up to the FEL mounting posts.

I do have to remove the lower 3 pt arms to use the woods sub frame rear connection design as that's where it connects. I assume this is a strong enough location/design as it was how Woods did it for years. So in the end the hoe weight would be on the 3 pt shaft as that would be the pivot point between the hoe and the FEL. My intention is to extend the woods sub frame about 18 inches up to the FEL. Tipping of the hoe is held by a heavy duty toplink. I have the woods HD toplink but think I might just fab my own out of 3/4 x 3 steel flat stock I have.

Any thoughts on this approach? Thanks.

Attachments

• B2400 OEM 4681 sub frame mounted.jpg
    B2400 OEM 4681 sub frame mounted.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64
  • woods sub frame mounted on b2400 v1.jpg
    woods sub frame mounted on b2400 v1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72
Tipping of the hoe is held by a heavy duty toplink. I have the woods HD toplink but think I might just fab my own out of 3/4 x 3 steel flat stock I have.
Why not use the Woods toplink?

/ how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #235  
I could, I have it. Not sure if it has been repaired or just a bad weld the hoe end. See pictures. My mig can't melt that thick of stuff, but I do have access to a stick. Just thought since I had the steel I could make a better one. But in the end that might not be necessary as much of the force is via the sub frame as the hoe does not pivit on 3 point pins.

Does this toplink look OK?

Attachments

• toplink 1.jpg
    toplink 1.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 48
  • toplink 2.jpg
    toplink 2.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 51
  • toplink 3.jpg
    toplink 3.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 51
  • toplink 4.jpg
    toplink 4.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 53
   / how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #237  
First and foremost I tip my hat to dfkrug for sharing hard earned experience on a subject that needs all the help it can get. I have a recently acquired B Kubota which suffered consequences of fel without adequate sub-frame. It's bad enough poorly designed tractors an attachments were sold but downright shameful mfgrs discontinued parts needed for repair leaving owners no choice but scrap tractors and equipment. I'm still fabricating parts for tractor and haven't started to design subframe reinforcements. I'll be able to use ideas from this thread when time comes to work on subframe. Meanwhile I'm colleting steel from scrapyards I consider better suited than ordinary steel. Things such as 3 point lift arms and front axle struts from old tractors are much tougher than structural steel. Truck springs and other truck and car parts might also perform better.

I have a recently acquired B Kubota which suffered consequences of fel without adequate sub-frame.
Thx, JAXS.

What model Kubota, and how did the loader subframe fail? I have had or worked on a few regular Bs, and owned 2 of the industrial Bs (B20 and B21). The regular Bs are not very stout, and need a lot of help if sporting any backhoe, and the hoe should be no bigger than 6.5' IMO.

/ how to build your own custom backhoe subframe #239  
B2400 to Woods 650 BH, using BH6500 subframe from woods (modified). OK, I have back half of the woods subframe stuck on the b2400 rear end. As you can see in the photos it is short of FEL bracket by about 26 inches. It actually lines up with the Kubota Subframe cross bracket but I don't want to use that - would rather just extend it to the FEL.

Question: Is it OK (and I am assuming so) to use the FEL U channel as the front connection point for the BH subframe? My design is to weld on 3x1.5 channel (same as woods subframe) to the woods subframe, which will extend it to the FEL bracket. Then design it so the subframe will slide into that bracket and either be held by pins or bolts. Any problems with this?

PS - the orange subframe in the pictures is the Kubota OEM one that is used when hooking up the B4672 kubota backhoe. I will be leaving it on, making the woods work with it. Double protection :)

Attachments

• subframe short 3.jpg
    subframe short 3.jpg
    617 KB · Views: 68
  • subframe short 2.jpg
    subframe short 2.jpg
    584.9 KB · Views: 58
  • subframe short 1.jpg
    subframe short 1.jpg
    697.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Question: Is it OK (and I am assuming so) to use the FEL U channel as the front connection point for the BH subframe?
I almost always connect the forward part or the hoe subframe to the FEL subframe. Usually some convenient holes there.