How to Choose Replacement Car Parts

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #12  
Timing belt?

It will depend on the car. Many V8, and perhaps V6 engines will have the cam located in the block, and connect the camshaft to the crankshaft with a chain.

Many inline-3 or inline-4 engines have an overhead cam. These vehicles will have a belt that will connect the camshaft to the crankshaft. Your manual should tell you which you have.

The chains should last a good long time. The belts are likely rated for 100K miles or so.

If the belt should rupture, it can cause significant damage to the engine.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts
It will depend on the car. Many V8, and perhaps V6 engines will have the cam located in the block, and connect the camshaft to the crankshaft with a chain.

Many inline-3 or inline-4 engines have an overhead cam. These vehicles will have a belt that will connect the camshaft to the crankshaft. Your manual should tell you which you have.

The chains should last a good long time. The belts are likely rated for 100K miles or so.

If the belt should rupture, it can cause significant damage to the engine.
My understanding is that the Ford 3.0L DOHC has two timing chains, no timing belt.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #14  
if i was not concerned about the cost of replacement parts i would put ford replacement parts on it. i made my living for over 20 years working on cars and trucks and the aftermarket parts world just keeps getting bigger and worse. but it's much chepper and thats why it's so big. just like wall mart. oem parts are a better quality and are made to fit a specfic applacation. just my opnion

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #15  
No timing belts on either engine.

If you have a 12valve OHV it has wires, use motorcraft parts OEM, the aftermarket wires are junk, it dont matter what brand or price. Stay away from chump or bosch plugs , motorcraft or autolite. Motorcraft pcv valve, the tin ones will rattle.

The 24valve DOHC has coil packs, the boots are replaceable. Remove the right cowl panel, cabin filter and lower panel for easy access to rear plugs.

Stick with name brand belts, hoses and pulleys.

If replacing starters alts, waterpump, etc. Stay away from new part, go with reman. The new ones are china nockoffs, fit and performance is terrible.

I worked for a ford dealer for 25 years, i've replaced many aftermarket parts, that were just installed and failed. Spend a little extra and do it once.

Dave

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #16  
I usually use whatever parts autozone or napa or advanced has. The cheap stuff.

Rarely do I have any issues.

As to the plugs, do a google search. I am sure somewhere out there, there is a forum dedicated to that car/engine. Do a search on that forum and see what them guys are running.

For some reason, certain engines dont work with some of these new fancy plugs, like those bosch with the wierd tangs, etc.

I had a LT1 GM engine that I tried bosch platinum's in. Ran like crap. Searched the web and found it didnt like them plugs. Went with the recommended autolites.

......... Remove the right cowl panel, cabin filter and lower panel for easy access to rear plugs...........Dave

Now this is a unique approach. Everyone seems to take off the upper intake manifold to reach the rear plugs.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #18  
I always buy the cheapest parts for cars and trucks . Cant say i've had any more failures than using genuine parts ?

I always buy the cheapest parts for cars and trucks . Cant say I've had any more failures than using genuine parts ?
This is the wife's car, so I don't want to cut any corners, but don't want to waste money either. For my own vehicle, I'd take more of a chance.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #20  
Yes, the cowl removal only takes a few min, no risk of dirt getting in the engine and no gasket required!

I use a blow gun with the rubber tip removed and a peice of brake tubing screwed in place, to blow any debris from the plug wells, before removing the plugs.

My wife's 2005 taurus has 285k on its 12v, unfortunately the head gasket is leaking coolant externally. She loves the car and wanted it to go 300k before getting another car.

Dave
I found a wrecked car with 85k, so time for a transplant, now she will never want to give it up.