How to Choose Replacement Car Parts

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #21  
I use a blow gun with the rubber tip removed and a peice of brake tubing screwed in place, to blow any debris from the plug wells, before removing the plugs.

Definitely do this ^

Also, w 100K after I blow out the SP wells, I squirt some (insert your favorite penetrating oil here) in there and let it sit for awhile. Sometimes even warm up the engine for 5-10 min, then squirt, and let cool for awhile.

/ How to Choose Replacement Car Parts #22  
I've got a 2004 Taurus nearing the 100,000 mile mark. It has been a great car needing just tires and brakes. So I figure it probably needs spark plugs, new serpentine belt, PCV valve, coolant, etc.

I like the convenience of Rock Auto, so I start looking for parts and for every component they have a bunch of alternatives. How do you choose a part these days? Does the Goodyear or Dayco name on a hose mean anything?

And what about plugs? Platinum, double platinum , iridium? Champion, NGK, Bosch?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Man o' man, I have just went through what you are going through. I will take Dayco or Goodyear. Look for the heart symbol because that is what most people chose. As for the plugs, I read a great many of reviews on the types, and just used my head to guess which of the manufacturer's comments made the most sense. I like to use OEM equivalent plugs insofar as possible since I don't want to get into deciding heat ranges, etc.

The first thing I do with any "new to me" vehicle is understand the timing belt status. Next, the valve adjustment status. Once I know that, I plan a major PM where I adjust the valves, replace the timing belt, drive belts, cam seals, crank seal, hoses, and anti-freeze, all fluids including brake fluid, rotate the tires, and whew...I'm done.