How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence?

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #21  
I have a Stihl 800 manual pole saw, which is a Silky saw, with Stihl paint. Great tool. As fast to use as a gas powered pole saw and easier as it is so much lighter. Stihl 800 extends 30'.

Whenever I post on the Stihl 800, I am ignored. Its like: If its not GAS, I am not interested.

I SECOND Rox's post above.

Last edited:
   / How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #22  
Agreed Jeff the effort it takes to just set the chain of a gas powered polesaw on the correct branch, in the proper orientation, before even opening the throttle, can far exceed the effort it takes to just cut it off with a manual saw. You have to "ready yourself with your full strength" to catch this heavy whizzing lump on the end of a long pole, this is fatiguing. Then it cuts cut thru and you have to "catch it", using more strength. It's strenuous, can't do it for hours.

Running a gas powered polesaw (for more than 15 minutes) can't be imagined, you have to actually try it. Don't judge it on a few 'test branches' those are pretty easy. Get out there and cut real branches, in various locations, angles and hard-to-set positions (=real life) where control of the the whizzing chain is crucial. It's strenuous, will give you forearms like Popeye if you do this regularly and don't just blow out your neck. Its safer than a ladder though, and every specialty tool has conditions where it works very well.

With these kind of threads the discussion quickly diverts from the JOB to the tools, and once you start looking at tools, bigger is better. Especially with no pics of the job.

But anyway back to this thread subject running a chainsaw next to the dirt is no fun and anybody starting such a job will understand that quickly. Or find a 20-year old with a young back who knows how to sharpen chain.

Last edited:
   / How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #23  
Agreed Jeff the effort it takes to just set the chain of a gas powered polesaw on the correct branch, in the proper orientation, before even opening the throttle, can far exceed the effort it takes to just cut it off with a manual saw. Then cuts cut thru and you have to "catch it". It's strenuous, can't do it for hours. Running a gas powered polesaw (for more than 15 minutes) can't be imagined, you have to actually try it. You can try a few 'test branches' and it seems pretty easy, then get out there and cut real branches, in various location and hard-to-set positions (=real life). It's strenuous.

With these kind of threads the discussion quickly diverts from the JOB to the tools, and once you start looking at tools, bigger is better. Especially with no pics of the job.

But anyway back to this thread subject running a chainsaw next to the dirt is no fun and anybody starting such a job will understand that quickly. Or find a 20-year old with a young back who knows how to sharpen chain.
This is why I suggested sawing (your choice of how you cut them) the entangled branches in the fence so you can then pull the whole tree out. Unless it is a huge tree, a CUT should be able to pull it out by the roots using a chain to the drawbar. Once you get the branches cut above the fence so it wont damage the fence when pulling it out, you are good to go with the tractor.

I really like using my backhoe for this task so I don't have to get off, hook a chain, pull out the tree, then get off, unhook the chain. With the backhoe and backhoe hydraulic thumb I can pick up the branches cut with the chainsaw and move them off the fence line then grab the tree and rip it out of the ground, then pile it with the branches.

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #24  
That is similar to the Stihl Machine we use too. Ours is a combi system, you can swap out the implements. Swap out the brush cutter for the chain saw (and I agree, you don't want to use a chainsaw, you want to use the brush cutter), I can't imagine what bending over running a chainsaw would do to your back.

Stihl makes these combi systems in a consumer grade and a pro grade. We had to replace the consumer grade model medium sized motor- which worked for many many years a couple of years ago and moved up to the pro model. I LIKE Stihl, because if they break you can get parts, or like we do we take it into a shop. If you buy an off brand there is no fixing them, only throwing them away. I would not buy the lowest model in the consumer end, but I would think that the medium model or high model of the consumer end would work just fine for your needs.

My husband will no longer use the regular chainsaw as he cut his hand pretty bad with it, he worked (when I told him not to!) when he was feeling sick and then had the hand accident, which he recovered alright from. But since that accident he is afraid of the chainsaw, the only one he uses is the chainsaw from the Stihl Combi System. Using the chainsaw on the Stihl Combi system keeps the saw far away from you. Of course it is not as powerful as the regualr pro model Stihl Chainsaw but most of what we need, over 90% is handled by the Chainsaw on the combi system.

We bought but never used the hedge trimmer attachment. We could have bought the straight up brush cutter which is shown in your pic but actually the Stihl Combi system is more lightweight and if you use it a lot you appreciate having the lighter weight. We get plenty, plenty of power out of it. Best of luck with your project.

I've got one of those things too. I got the largest motor they had so it's kinda heavy so I got the harness to help deal with the weight. It sure makes short work of a lot of stuff. So far I have the weed whacker, the blower and a brush cutter. I went without the harness to whack and blow a lot of stuff one day, yeah I know it was stupid. I wound up dealing with a sore shoulder for a few days so now I'll be sure to use either the harness or the sling. It didn't feel that heavy when I started out but I guess it adds up over time.

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #25  
I have a Stihl 800 manual pole saw, which is a Silky saw painted for Stihl. Great tool. As fast to use as a gas powered pole saw and easier as it is so much lighter. Stihl 800 extends 30'.

Whenever I post on the Stihl 800, I am ignored. Its like: If its not GAS, I am not interested.

I SECOND Rox's post above.

I have not used a long Silky Pole (branded by Stihl) saw but it has got to be awesome. There is always a lot of emphasis on powered saws, I think a great manual saw is so much easier. I myself have cut for many years for a couple months at a time, using the Silky saws. I do use the Stihl Chainsaw attachment at the end of their Combi System if the branch is up to high for me to reach using the wheeled ladder I am on. The time it takes to pull the starting cord on a chainsaw, get positioned for the cut, you could be done in half the time and little effort with a great manual saw.

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #26  
I currently don't have horses at the property, some might be coming. How long do I need to keep them away from the sprayed vegitation?

Look at the instructions of the product you use. Many will have instructions on when to let kids or pets on the sprayed area. That is a good guide.

We are getting ready to bring the horses home. I want to spray a bunch of 2, 4-D. That is like a wait until dry time frame for pets. However I will likely want to wait at least a week.

/ How to clean *A LOT* of vegetation of a split rail fence? #28  
I've got one of those things too. I got the largest motor they had so it's kinda heavy so I got the harness to help deal with the weight. It sure makes short work of a lot of stuff. So far I have the weed whacker, the blower and a brush cutter. I went without the harness to whack and blow a lot of stuff one day, yeah I know it was stupid. I wound up dealing with a sore shoulder for a few days so now I'll be sure to use either the harness or the sling. It didn't feel that heavy when I started out but I guess it adds up over time.

My husband just uses the sling. I never run the brush cutter he does that work. But he only operates it 3 to 4 hours a day for about a week at a time and he manages. You should get the chainsaw, it's really nice. With the extension on it you can get up real high. I have burned the clutch a time or two forcing it but then you learn the technique. I have thought about that little rototiller attachment, not bought yet, what do you think of it? Have you looked at it? It sure looks handy for a quick weeding of a garden for example.

If we weren't spending money fixing our stone walls for the last 2 years I would have bought my hubby a new tractor with a bucket & mechanical thumb. You know he has ever farmers dream, a tractor for every implement, LOL! We have had to make trade-offs, set priorities, and installing a mill came before a new tractor.