How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #11  
Why not add some black drain pipe (the cheap flexible stuff) length to your pipe, bury it and have it discharge somewhere its not in the way.

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #12  
Here's a couple of pictures showing how I handled that situation. The first picture was taken during installation a couple of years ago. The second picture was taken very shortly after Tropical Storm Lee came through last Sunday.

Cool construction technique:thumbsup:! Dual purpose packaging/concrete forms:laughing:
Sometimes the cement and aggregate separate in the bag and need mixing. Unfortunately you have to open the bags to do this:)
Can you disassemble the structure or are the "blocks" bonded together?
Bob

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #13  
I have that configuration downstream of my sump pump & gutter drain. Continue the trench until the bottom comes to grade & backfill the last 3-4 feet with crushed stone. The water will warm the stone to the point where it will drain before freezing & mower will pass over it easily. I tend to mow around rather than completely over because the power bagger will suck up some of the stone. Have never had an issue with stone plugging, leaves & grass get flushed away every time it flows. MikeD74T

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside
Why not add some black drain pipe (the cheap flexible stuff) length to your pipe, bury it and have it discharge somewhere its not in the way.

Thanks, all for the suggestions so far.

Hiltz, the land quickly flattens just below where the pipe would exit, so it would be difficult to discharge a pipe that was below ground level, short of digging a hole for it to discharge into.

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #15  
We have a footing drain here at work that exits a hillside and we just poured a concrete pad around it (conforming to the hillside slope) about 12" square. This also helps with erosion right around the pipe. Our pipe spills onto a concrete drive, but in your situation, I'd put some gravel below the pad to dissipate the outflow. When I exited a drain tile into a creek on my property, I put gravel below it to avoid eroding the bank.

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #16  
Thanks, all for the suggestions so far.

Hiltz, the land quickly flattens just below where the pipe would exit, so it would be difficult to discharge a pipe that was below ground level, short of digging a hole for it to discharge into.

Ahh, I was looking at your drawing. Sorry wish I could be more help. Your sure to get some good ideas here. I love this site. (Do you think it will snow this year?)

We have a footing drain here at work that exits a hillside and we just poured a concrete pad around it (conforming to the hillside slope) about 12" square. This also helps with erosion right around the pipe. Our pipe spills onto a concrete drive, but in your situation, I'd put some gravel below the pad to dissipate the outflow. When I exited a drain tile into a creek on my property, I put gravel below it to avoid eroding the bank.

I had a similar thought. Maybe put a metal grill in the middle that would be easy to pop out and clean.

Ahh, I was looking at your drawing. Sorry wish I could be more help. Your sure to get some good ideas here. I love this site. (Do you think it will snow this year?)

Yea, sorry for the drawing quality.

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #19  
What about a piece of wide spaced expanded metal? Cut about a foot square. Trim/ cut grass to bare earth and peg over opening. Grass will grow anchoring it, fixes trip hazard, disperses mower pressure, and can be pulled up if clogged.

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #20  
Cool construction technique:thumbsup:! Dual purpose packaging/concrete forms:laughing:
Sometimes the cement and aggregate separate in the bag and need mixing. Unfortunately you have to open the bags to do this:)
Can you disassemble the structure or are the "blocks" bonded together?
Bob
Thanks,

The concrete bags are stacked, but not bonded. Each sack weighs 80 LB, so it won't move much. I may do some more work on the outlet. If so, I will just stack up some more sacks of sacrete. I like the stacked sacks. I've used stacked sacks for various projects. The sacks will almost always set up properly. the paper eventually comes off.

If you could get the sand bags used for flood contol and fill them with concrete, I'm sure it would work even better.