How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #21  
I thought about that idea as well but then remember the OP mentioning the grage apron may tie into this line so debris is a concern and stone would eventually plug up with leaves and other debris introduced from the gutter. So it would be a maintance issue having to dig up the stone every so often to clear out any garbage that made it in.

I personally would just cut the pipe flush and see what happens. I don't see it being a trip hazard as once its there people will get use to it and if they find themselves tripping over it often, well, don't ever let them drive. But if it does become a problem you can always adapt a grate after the fact. Mowing, just straddle over the opening and don't worry. I would be more worried about mowing over a steel grate and having it pop up under the deck destroying the blades, if the plastic pipe rises some how the mower won't even notice.

I also think so.

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #22  
Thanks,

The concrete bags are stacked, but not bonded. Each sack weighs 80 LB, so it won't move much. I may do some more work on the outlet. If so, I will just stack up some more sacks of sacrete. I like the stacked sacks. I've used stacked sacks for various projects. The sacks will almost always set up properly. the paper eventually comes off.

If you could get the sand bags used for flood contol and fill them with concrete, I'm sure it would work even better.

I found a quick way to bond them was to drive a couple of pieces of rebar through the bags. When they setup, the rebar was snug as a bug in a rug.:)

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #23  
I think they also sell the bags with out plastic inside them for this application.

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #24  
I cannot see what all the fuss is about, but could be wrong. This seems to be a simple drain, that presumably has been laid to drain all its catchment area. That being so, the run off issuing from the head or "exit" as the original poster calls it will be above freezing point and so run freely from the drain. Why would the drain move? I have never known it happen but admit that I do not have experience of such outlets below about minus 25ºF so if the temperatures are below that my experience does not count.

How much experience of land drainage do the other posters on the thread have? I have only done about 500 acres in England, Scotland, Australia and Portugal so cannot claim to be an expert. You might need to take local advice if your outlet pipe doers move, but again I see no reason why it should.

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #25  
I've done something similar with a drain at my garage doors. I poured a little concrete around the exit on the hillside and formed it as a square. The lower part of the concrete has a small drip in it to help the water run down it as it comes out of the drain. I then cut the french drain pipe flush with the concrete. My concrete was about 1" higher than my freshly cut grass. The concrete pad is 12" x 12" and my drain pipe is 4".

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #26  
the way we have always done the gutter drains is to just daylight them out the side of the hill.

cut the tile back to match the hill slope and your done :thumbsup:

Trench300.jpg

/ How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside
UPDATE

OP here. Thanks for all the great suggestions and comments.

I decided not to run the surface drain through the french drain pipe. Instead I ran a second pipe in the same trench then tied them together with a Y fitting just before the exit. I was warned that the surface drain would distribute water through the perforated pipe exactly where I am trying to eliminate it. Made sense, so two pipes most of the way.

I went to my favorite scrap yard looking for a ready made grate and spied a nice piece of catwalk. It has a grippy surface. So I cut a rectangle and laid it over the cut down plastic pipe in a recess in the soil. I did not stake it, but will if the grass growing through it doesn't hold it tightly. Last picture is before I cut down the pipe.

Attachments

• IMG_3349.JPG
    IMG_3349.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_3348.JPG
    IMG_3348.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3351.JPG
    IMG_3351.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_3350.JPG
    IMG_3350.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 205
   / How to exit a drain pipe from a hillside #28  
I think you would have been OK with just cutting the pipe flush with the ground and letting the grass grow around it. Alternatively, you could get a peat plant pot about the right size to fit into the pipe opening and put dirt and grass seed around it. This will recess the pipe slightly within the sod. Once the grass is established trim away the end of the peat pot and you won't even know the pipe is there.