How to get more grip going up and down steep hills

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills
This photo is looking form the top of the hill down, well it is not actually the top, there is more hill but we stop here. From the red arrow to the blue arrow at the bottom of the hill is about 50 ft. At the bottom of the hill is our house so you have to descend and then stop and turn.

Attachments

• 487044-Resize of Resize of IMGP0223.JPG
    487044-Resize of Resize of IMGP0223.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 440
This is the photo that might help with slope. From the base to the blue arrow is about 50ft, perhaps a bit more. From the base of the hill, the red arrow shows a distance traveled to the second terrace of 25ft. In that 25ft of distance traveled, the green arrow shows that you climed up 9ft. My husband throws weeds on the path, but they are all dry and I think it will only make it slip more not help We are not in agreement on this point.

Attachments

• 487045-Resize of Resize of IMGP0224.jpg
    487045-Resize of Resize of IMGP0224.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 363
This photo shows how there is no room for error.

Attachments

• 487046-Rotation of Resize of IMGP0225.JPG
    487046-Rotation of Resize of IMGP0225.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 407
   / How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #24  
Just a thought, but how about only filling the sprayer 1/2 full? Less weight.

From the tractor pic, I think you can roll your rims out (other thread) to get wider. Need a better pic of the wheels to be sure. Actually, your local implement dealer might be of some help here, simply because I have never even heard of a Goldoni /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The farm worker might be able to tell you how they got the machine up the hill in the past, if not, ask a neighbor.

I suggested the winch to my husband but he says the spayer doesn't have any wheels. It seems to attach to the back of the tractor where it is like latched ont to the tractor, kind of like that little wagon in the first picture. I forgot about that. I think both sprayers are like that, although the one that make the big puffy clouds that one might be on wheel, I can't remember. Gotta go get some work done, I'll check back here later. At which time I'll ahve to do a search on directions for filling tires. My husband said that we will do that idea.

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #26  
From the style of front tire, I'd bet you have 4wd, Look at the front axel and see if you have a driveshaft going back to the transmission.

If you are carrying a hitch borne implement, and you back up the hill then all of the weight on of the implement will be on your back wheels. However it will also take the weight of the tractor and put it on the front wheels. Try backing, and look for the 4wd. Reverse, low range if you have it, and 4wd will walk that hill.

Tossing weeds on that slope will just give the tires somthing to push out of the way. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Wont hurt or help.

I would NOT repeat NOT place boards across that slope. When they get wet, you WILL slide. Honestly, that slope doesnt look all that bad, as in, you should be able to climb it with the tractor.

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #27  
I agree that the slope doesn't "look" that bad - pictures never seem to do slopes justice. Might be interested in a tiltmeter to really check it out.

That bar on your tractor doesn't look like a ROPS to me - I would not use a seatbelt until I was sure that it is one (although I doubt it).

I think that the weeds will INCREASE SLIPPAGE - just my opinion but I'm on your side on that argument.

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #28  
Almost certainly a 4WD tractor as Goldoni doesn't seem to have a 2WD modelo. Here is the manufacture's web site Goldoni Tractors.

That hill doesn't look all that steep, but sometimes it's hard to tell from pictures. I'd try going up in reverse as this will put all the weight on the wheels, and make sure that you have 4wd drive engaged. I've climbed WAY steeper hills in reverse. I'll try and post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

RE: Filling Tires: Are you in an agricultural area? Check you phone book and see if there isn't someone who specializes in Ag tire service. I recently had mt tires filled with Calcium Chloride and the fella came to my house and did the work. $130 for two tires, something like 60 gallons. I got the NaCL because it doesn't freeze and actually adds significant weight versus water alone. Half that cost was for the NaCl which you probably won't need.

Oh and thanks for the pics. I like the looks of some of these European tractors.

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #29  
Rox, I meant to address your idea of adding boards. The reason I would be against doing so is that if the tire slips on the board, it could give momentum to the tractors downward travel. Anything that could interrupt traction could cause this, so the weeds would be out also.
Egon's idea is similar to mine in that you want to pull 'something' up the hill with a cable. Hook on the sprayer, and tie onto the tractor while your husband is "driving" it backward up the hill, you could be pulling on the cable with an auto and helping the tractor up. Going very slowly up would be a must. Just assure that the connection at the tractor is down low where the drawbar comes out of the back. Any higher up and you could cause the tractor to flip backwards, pivoting on the rear wheels. I hope we get you there. John

/ How to get more grip going up and down steep hills #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the farm worker already told him to back up and down hills )</font>

Partially correct, in my opinion. I thought about suggesting that earlier, but thought you were talking about a sprayer on wheels that you towed with the tractor's drawbar. But when in doubt about a hill, I always back up it, but go forward down it.

And your husband really needs to find out if it's 4 wheel drive. I'm not familiar at all with European tractors, but in the USA you would not normally see that type of tire on the front unless the tractor was 4 wheel drive.