How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang?

/ How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #11  
The 1st picture shows the little spike barriers we purchased to keep the birds form nesting. These are smaller versions of what you see to control pidgins in the big city.

A day after they were installed, we saw several small birds hoping around on the little wires.

The 2nd picture shows the nice little nest the birds are building inside the spikes. They no doubt appreciate my providing a protected environment for their offspring.

Next year, I'll try some 3/4" wire mesh, the kind use for cages. Note that if we are successful in not having birds, we will then have to spray for wasps nest during April every year. Every solution brings about a new problem.

Pete

Attachments

• small_bird_barrier.jpg
    small_bird_barrier.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 395
  • small_bird_barrier_nest.jpg
    small_bird_barrier_nest.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 755
   / How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #12  
New porch, new roof, new overhang.....new problems!

Last year I discovered that some birds seem to love this corner (among a couple others) to build their nests in.
...........................Any thoughts?

If it matters, I do not know what type of birds were doing that...unless annoying qualifies as a bird type! :D

You build it (like that), they will come. :D Very inviting shelter for robins (I suspect in your case, if the nest is a lot of mud in with the nesting material and quickly rebuilt). When they are ready to lay eggs, a nest is needed and built in a hurry.

It'll be your decision whether you put up wire mesh to restrict their access to that nice ledge so well protected.

A rat trap may help if you want to weed out the perpetrator (I have successfully used them for woodpeckers attacking my house siding). For a robin that can't leave my windows alone when they see their lovely image and get twitterpated, I resort to a shotgun #6 shell.

Last edited:
   / How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #13  
For a robin that can't leave my windows alone when they see their lovely image and get twiterpated, I resort to a shotgun #6 shell.

Twitterpated - is that a disease birds get? We once had a bird that spent the entire day fluttering up and down our windows leaving a mess behind. When it wasn't at our windows, it was over at the neighbors doing the same thing. The neighbor finally shot it to put everybody out their misery :D I couldn't figure out when it took time out to eat.
Dave.

/ How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #14  
Wind chimes would probably work and be more aesthetically pleasing, to me

/ How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #15  
Anyone ever had any success with wind chimes?

/ How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang?
BTW: Love the design of the porch roof. Would love to see the whole thing if you care to post a picture.

Thanks. The wife gets any/all credits for designing it. She literally penciled her "vision" on a napkin and much like that Kohler commercial....took that (and our existing 10 year old blueprints for a starting point) to the guy and said 'I want this porch and room additions added to my house"

Here's some other images.

Attachments

• DSCN5586.JPG
    DSCN5586.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCN5581.JPG
    DSCN5581.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 1,432
  • TBN 2.jpg
    TBN 2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 3 TBN.JPG
    3 TBN.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 156
   / How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang?
Looking for some other angles. This room addtion to the kitchen has easily become the new hangout room. Something kind of cool about it...you can enter it from either direction. In the living room, I have my stereo (and huge horn speakers).

The sound from the right speaker (as facing it) happens to be angled to the left doorway of the kitchen (and works its way into this dining room) and the sound from the left speaker (as facing) happens to be angled to the right doorway next to the front foyer.

The net result, you have a VERY open & spacious sound in this room, regardless of where you sit. It's not really a stereo sound. Just a very open, high quality sound. Hard to describe it.

All of the low frequency room modes are essentially left behind in the living room so by the time the sound works its way here it's very balanced & full.

Attachments

• DSCN5621.JPG
    DSCN5621.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN5573.JPG
    DSCN5573.JPG
    274.9 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCN5629.JPG
    DSCN5629.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN5659.JPG
    DSCN5659.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 103
   / How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #18  
I don't know what to do about the birds on your porch, but I sure wish I knew how to keep the grackles from building nests in my bradford pear trees. A couple of years ago, I think there were 15 nests in the 4 trees, baby birds kept falling out of the nests and our chihuahua were bring them to the back door; some alive, some dead. That winter, I tore all the nests down and I think there was only one nest last year. But I'm seeing signs we're going to have lots of them this year again.

If I weren't in the city limits where the discharge of firearms is illegal, I know how I'd handle it.:D

/ How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #19  
Yeah, if you live out in the country, its sounds like its time to shoot a little skeet.

/ How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #20  
Have you considered sitting a Mother in Law by the nest? Already have mine out scaring the local wildlife !;)