How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang?

/ How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #21  
We have barn swallows that try to next under out eaves and on our lamp, etc... we taped 1" wide strips of aluminum foil to the ceiling hanging down around the lamp about every 3-4 inches. That did the trick. They fly up, the foil flutters around and touches them and they do not like it at all. It has kept them at bay the last 3 years.

Works great! :thumbsup:

(looks like #$@%%!!!) :laughing:

The thing about barn swallows is they are mud nest builders. If you put up chicken wire, they'll stick their mud right to it. I used to have a nice thermometer under our porch eaves. I had to take it down because of the swallows. Now that I know the foil strips work, I may put it back up. :)

We have wrens in a wren house on our unattached garage.
Robins and doves come to the same nest in a grapevine wreath on the side. Kinda weird that the doves will use the robin nest and vice versa. It just depends who stakes their claim first each spring. The robins raise two sets of babies each year. I saw the doves trying to next in the gutter yesterday. Very stupid birds. First rain and their eggs will soak. They also nest on the ground. Then they hang around our back door all year. Cardinals try to nest in our clematis vines each year but end up abandoning the nest due to our comings and goings at night. They fly off in the dark if we go in or out the door and don't come back until morning. The eggs never hatch.

/ How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #22  
Thanks. The wife gets any/all credits for designing it. She literally penciled her "vision" on a napkin and much like that Kohler commercial....took that (and our existing 10 year old blueprints for a starting point) to the guy and said 'I want this porch and room additions added to my house"

Here's some other images.

Richard, I'm sure I don't have to tell you that the difference in your house is dramatic. I loved raised decks and have added them all around my house except for one side. However, I don't have them covered as you do. I may actually retrofit a roof-over at some point in the future. Your wife did well. I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy the additions. Nice! Thanks for the photos.

/ How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #23  
Every spring we'd get birds nesting in the Cessna engine cowling.
This is very dangerous as it can result in fires and or engine failure in flight.

The one thing that did work was to sit a rubber toy snake on top of the engine cowling!

/ How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #24  
Like the snake idea, I have had some success with artificial fishing worms. I guess the birds think they are snakes.:D

/ How to prevent birds from nesting in overhang? #25  
Anybody heard of painting the underside of porches a sky blue? Old wives tale? Something about the birds think it's sky so they won't build there cause they want cover.