How to price?

/ How to price? #12  
Because as a long time mechanic, and then looking at the condition of dealer mechanics today, and then comparing dealer mechanical shops with what I know about mechanical manufacturing.... it's my opinion that the proven reliability of a good low hour used machine is worth as much or more to a new owner than a warranty is worth.

After all, a good running tractor with any new issues taken care of is going to then go for thousands of hours needing nothing more than occasional maintenance. As K5lwq says above, the new ones have emissions and computers which the older ones did not. BTW, I'm in favor of both - but when better perfected, which they aren't yet.

A warning is that buying anything used needs some knowledge or trust. But that is becoming true of new as well.

I didn't always feel that used could beat new. Right now it has to do with the decline in factory training, dealer apathy for repairs, and the more narrow focus of shop mechanics today towards replacement rather than diagnosis, As well as what I see as an over-emphasis on profit by manufacturers.

It wouldn't surprise me to know that it is changing at some shops right now. I hope so anyway.

rScotty
Correct me if I'm wrong Scotty, but I sum this up as you saying the whole business model has changed in the tractor world and you see there being more value in the older tractors then the newer ones due to all the reasons you stated above.