How to Stop an 8N

/ How to Stop an 8N #1  

8N_John

Silver Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N
This is a stupid question, but what is the quickest/easiest way to stop (or slow down) an 8N? I've operated mine only a few times so far and am finding it awkward to slow the thing down or stop it quickly. The brakes alone will slow it down only a little (which I assume is normal). The clutch and the brakes pressed together will stop it, but that is somewhat awkward to do if I need to stop or slow down very quickly (due to the height and location of the brake pedals). The throttle is another option that may be the quickest way to slow down quickly, but not sure how that would work going down a slope? I've tried it both ways, but can't decide which way to stick with.

I guess I just want to find out the way long time owners find it easiest to slow down in very short notice.

/ How to Stop an 8N #2  
I think I'd try to get comfortable with using the brake and clutch at the same time when going down a slope. If the clutch is left engaged, you're always going to have forward momentum trying to counter-act the brakes.

/ How to Stop an 8N #3  
8N_John
Clutch in and the brakes both on evenly, up to the point just before the rear wheels lose traction.

To do that with the 8N, the right foot has to be on both left and right brake pedals at the same time and with the same pressure. If adjustment is out of whack, that means for a lot of twisting of the foot. If your brakes will not slide the rear wheels, then they are in need of replacement and repair and adjustment work. That may mean new seals, as the 8N can leak oil out of the axles onto the brakes and render them darn near useless.

Hope this helps. Sounds like you have some new experiences to get used to. But asking for some help is the best way, before you meet up with an emergency and cannot handle it.

When going down a slope, care must be made to keep one wheel from sliding as the other will go twice as fast (differential working here) causing some dangerous downhill skidding. That is why becomming skilled at putting both brakes on equally is very important.
When going downhill, do it in a low gear and go slow. That will help with traction and engine braking. Sufficient weight on the rear axle, either with fluid in the tires or weights as ballast will also help. The 8N is pretty well balanced for good weight on the rear end, but fluid in the tires helps a lot.

/ How to Stop an 8N #4  
The main thing here is to go SLOW! Keep both hands tight on that steering wheel too. The 8N will turn side-ways easily if both brakes are no applied equally. It takes awhile to learn what each 8N will do, but they are fun after that.
Sherpa

/ How to Stop an 8N #5  
8N John,
You didn't say what implement you were using behind the tractor. But, 8N Fords need an overriding clutch on the tractors PTO shaft. Without that the momentum of the rotary mower will push it tremendously. No Stopping for half a mile(or so it seems). Buy one of the better overriding clutches from your local independant tractor supply store - the $70 dollar one - Not the cheaper one. A good one will last you 30 years or so. Some day we'll have to tell you about all our modifications on our 8N - power steering, 4 spool hydraulics, throw-away screw on oil filter. Let us know what implement you are pulling behind the tractor. Merry Christmas! Yugo

/ How to Stop an 8N #6  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( It takes awhile to learn what each 8N will do, but they are fun after that. )</font>

Talk about fun... when I was a teenager many decades ago, I used to snowplow the family driveway using a 9N with a front mounted plow and tire chains. My favorite way of turning around after going down the driveway was to get up some speed on the snowy road, crank the wheel to the left and stomp on the left wheel brake. The tractor would go into a slide, do a 180 with the wheels spinning, and I would head back the opposite way with an idiotic grin on my face. As far as I know, my dad never witnessed this. How is it that so many of us actually survive our teens?

Older now and at least a little wiser,
Tom

/ How to Stop an 8N #7  
TMcD_in_MI

I had the same experience. Would do that same thing in high gear on the Iowa gravel roads. Not the safest nor the most dangerous thing I ever did, but did it nonetheless.

I was going to explain another way to brake when going downhill, that one can slide both wheels enough to put the clutch in and downshift the transmission into a lower gear to help slow down. It can get a bit dicey and one wants to make sure the front end stays out in front of the back end when doing it. But it has been done, and sometimes with a big log on the 3pt pushing you down the hill in the woods.

KMcD_in_WI (EIEIO) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How to Stop an 8N #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( It takes awhile to learn what each 8N will do, but they are fun after that. )</font>

The only fun I ever got out of my old 8N was a sore left knee from the clutch and a sore right knee from the lousy brakes they have. I wish I could help you out. I sold mine because of that and breaking down constantly. Good Luck.

/ How to Stop an 8N #9  
Most of the time, almost always, you don't want to be pushing the clutch in and "freewheeling" while going down a slope as you lose more control without the engine for breaking.
Get the brakes adjusted properly together, push them both, and lower the RPM if necessary, but freewheeling can lead to a dangerous ride. John

/ How to Stop an 8N #10  
I'd use the engine compression for breaking if you had the extra half second.. otherwise.. just clutch/brake pedals.

All 3 for normal stuff.. I.E. throttle down as you come up to a stop and then clutch brake to stop.

Soundguy