How to Stop an 8N

/ How to Stop an 8N #11  
soundguy,
I can't remember, are the 8N's the ones with a brake pedal on each side ? If so I can understand the guys confusion. My FIL has an old Avery tractor with no footbrakes at all just a lever on each side over the rear axle ! I refuse to drive it, just know I would jam it into the side of my car or something /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Ben

/ How to Stop an 8N #12  
From recolections of 50 or so years ago I can't figure out why you'd want to stop a Ford 8N. Had enough trouble just gettin them started!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ How to Stop an 8N #13  
<font color="blue"> I can't remember, are the 8N's the ones with a brake pedal on each side ? </font>

The 9N and 2N both have the left brake on the left side and the right brake on the right side. The 8N has both brake pedals on the right side of the tractor.

My 8N has terrible brakes. It's a good thing my land is flat! I have to plan every move I make if I'm using it to mow my father's property though... I've been in some pretty hairy situations with it. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ How to Stop an 8N #14  
Thanks Andy, I thought it was one of the old Fords, but could not remember which one.
Ben

/ How to Stop an 8N #15  
Are you guys using overrunning clutches with your mowers? It should not be that hard to stop from 5 mph.

/ How to Stop an 8N #16  
The 8n and up did have both brakes on the r side.. and the 9n/2n had a pedal on each side.. however.. you could adjust a 'dog cam' on the clutch pedal so that when you clutched you also hit the left brake.. thus with 2 feet, you could hit the right brake, and clutch/left brake all at the same time.

my 2n can lock up and skid both wheels. My 8n and NAA each have a good right brake.. and almost non-existant left brake. With my flat land, and since I do have some brakes...a brake job is on my list to do right after i finish everything else... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Soundguy

/ How to Stop an 8N #17  
Simpson industries has a brake upgrade kit to retrofit the 8N's. I hear it greatly reduces the stopping distance. See picture of the installed kit.........Tom

Attachments

• 550910-8N Brakethru Kit.jpg
    550910-8N Brakethru Kit.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 214
   / How to Stop an 8N #18  
Doh!

/ How to Stop an 8N #19  
<font color="blue"> my 2n can lock up and skid both wheels. My 8n and NAA each have a good right brake.. and almost non-existant left brake. </font>

My 2N has one good brake... but it's only good enough to stop on a steep hill if you're standing on it.
The 8N's brakes are totally non-existant! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

<font color="blue"> With my flat land, and since I do have some brakes...a brake job is on my list to do right after i finish everything else... </font>

I know what you mean. There's not enough time to do everything. Getting the 2N running again is below the hydraulics and brakes projects for the 8N, but that ranks below building a garage, deck, and fence, and other landscaping projects next year.

/ How to Stop an 8N #20  
I have had 2 different 8N's over the years. The brakes were stuck on the last one I had. If I used them I had to put my foot under the pedal and pull up on it to get them to disengage. Rode it that way for over a year using the engine to slow me down 99% of the time.

I tried pulling the brake drums one time and couldn't get them off so I just sprayed some WD40 through the adjuster holes on the brake drum backing plate and it finally loosened the brakes up.

I had a box blade on it the whole time I had it and in an emergency could just drop the box blade and it would come to a halt much faster than the brakes could stop it.

Going down hills I would recommend low gear, cut the throttle back, and let the engine slow you down. Use brakes only as a last resort. Never push the clutch in on a bad downhill, the engine will help slow you down if you will cut the throttle all the way back to an idle.

My philosophy on hills in any vehicle is go down in the same or 1 gear lower than it would take to go up the same hill. If you have to use first gear to pull up a hill and are in 3rd coming down you are in for a thrilling ride!

God bless all the 8N's in the world, they LOOK like real tractors and run forever.

Bill Tolle