How to straighten a Tie Rod?

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #1  

teg

Tractor
s
I bent my Tie Rod and would like to fix it and not buy a new one. I have access to a press like the one attached and also could apply heat via propane torch. I never used a press (or a torch, for that matter :)).

I was going to leave the nut covering the threads on (to help keep it straight) but could the press bend or break the nut? I would like to just bend it without heat, is that possible?

I assume the treads you see on this end are trashed (adjustments with be made on the other end). The red line is what needs to be straight (it has another bend in the tie rod that should be there, I hope :eek:) Any thoughts? I don't need perfection just get it close.

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #2  
I have to recommend that you buy a new replacement part. Having a little too much toe-in, or toe-out could cause serious stability issues at freeway speeds !!!! ;) ;) ;)

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #3  
Ductape, once you straighten your tie rod or buy a new one you might want to slip a piece of pipe over it for some added strength before you install it. A farm neighbor of mine did that on one of their small tractors after bending theirs twice. Seemed as though it was prone to getting struck by whatever and by reinforcing it with a pipe sleeve it seemed to remedy the problem.

Sincerely, Dirt

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #4  
teg said:
I bent my Tie Rod and would like to fix it and not buy a new one. I have access to a press like the one attached and also could apply heat via propane torch. I never used a press (or a torch, for that matter :)).

I was going to leave the nut covering the threads on (to help keep it straight) but could the press bend or break the nut? I would like to just bend it without heat, is that possible?

I assume the treads you see on this end are trashed (adjustments with be made on the other end). The red line is what needs to be straight (it has another bend in the tie rod that should be there, I hope :eek:) Any thoughts? I don't need perfection just get it close.

I have a press like that and I use it often to fix things I accidently bent,
like hyd cylinder rods.

Your tie rod is mild steel and easy to bend. If you are concerned about
crushing the end of the long nut, remove the other tie rod end and thread
it into the nut first. Since your rod is bent so far over, consider putting the
nut end into a vise and using a long pipe for leverage to bend that part.
If you do not have a vise that is well anchored, consider mounting one to
your truck's or tractor's hitch receiver.

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod?
dfkrug, Thanks... I'll put a bolt down into the nut before doing anything. Since the press is at a friends house (hour away) I'll try the vise with a long pipe first. I would have thought that the tie rod would be a little better then Mild Steal... (doesn't surprise me :()

I was wondering if anyone built a shield to protect the Tie Rods. I'm just planning to "baby" the tractor's front end and not just run over everything in front of me :eek:.

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #6  
teg said:
I was wondering if anyone built a shield to protect the Tie Rods. I'm just planning to "baby" the tractor's front end and not just run over everything in front of me :eek:.

I have not, but it is a good idea.

I bought a replacement tie rod for a Kioti CK30 once (about $30 as I recall)
and it is very exposed to damage. You can try a piece of pipe as
DIRTWORKS suggests, or you can fabricate a skid plate.

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #7  
Personally, I would heat it red hot with oxy-acetylene then straighten it. That is a pretty sharp bend. Any time you bend steel without heating it, you weaken it. You already bent it once, now you are going to bend it again. Without heating it, it also may bend where it is not already bent, now you end up with a pretzel.

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #8  
I agree, I would definitely spot heat it and bend it that way.

Especially that your bend needs to be where the threads are. The threads make a natural weak point and could lead to a crack or even break off without heat. Might even break off with heat? If that happens, get some threaded stock that fits the nut and weld it back on. I don't think you'll damage the nut at all. No big deal.

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod?
oxy-acetylene?? That is also at the shop, an hour away. I can do that but would a propane torch work at all (just hold it on it longer?). I have that and the vise, here and now.

I don't want to break the tie rod... so I'll heat it up and try and bend it. Just let it cool down afterwards or drop it in water?? (sorry I'm a newbie around metal).

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #10  
I too agree that you should heat it cherry red hot before bending it back into shape. If you just press it without heat it will probably crack.
I haven't had to do mine yet but have straightened a bent rod on my neighbors tractor. The second time he broke it in half by driving over a stump sticking up so I cut off the threaded ends and welded a new piece of 1/2" schedule 80 pipe between them. My front diff had bolt holes on the bottom so I bolted on a homemade skid plate of 3/8" flat steel to somewhat protect my tie rod.