How to straighten a Tie Rod?

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #41  
Afternoon Teg,
Just kind of stumbled on this thread ! One thing that I dont think was mentioned was that with that press you can get that rod pretty close to perfect ! Especially if you have a lathe that you can chuck that shaft up in and inspect it each time you tweak it in the press. If you dont have a lathe any flat surface will work well also to see if your gettin any daylight as it rolls across the surface ! I have fixed many shafts through the years using this method ! Give er a try ! ;) :)

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod?
Thanks Scott... I'm not looking for perfection but will try to shoot for it. I'm not going to be at the shop with the good press... I will make do with a close shop and I think I will heat the tie rod up in an old vise and clamp down on it when it's good and hot. I was going to do it tonight BUT I decided to go to happy hour instead and leave the shop for the morning... I'll have more time to "play". (I took Monday off and didn't know it was already Friday!!)

PS. Let me tell you that your signature is my all time favorite.

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #43  
teg said:
(I took Monday off and didn't know it was already Friday!!)

??? ****, I haven't had a week that great since university!

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #44  
I had a load of rocks in my loader 2 years ago and I drove over a "rotten log" instead of driving around it. Yeah, dumb idea. Log was not so rotten, left tie rod bent. I didn't have any threads involved because it was pretty much right in the middle. So I just used a sledge and bashed it back into shape. Not very elegant but it worked. At the time I was in the middle of a project and I figured that I would just try it and buy a new one if I messed it up. Well that was two years ago and it has never bent again or cracked. I do try to avoid "rotten logs" with a full load of rocks!

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #45  
Interesting thread, lotsa info...but I'm with MrJimi...;)

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod?
Well, that did not take much time, I've spent more time typing then it took to do the work!!! But I learned a few things. Heating it did make it easier to bend in the vise, but I needed to bend it a little more so I had to re-heated it to finished the job. Photos are not much to look at. That flame gets pretty bright adding the O2 and I did screw up with a loud "POP" :eek: with the flame once. Got my heart racing good. It's a degree off or so but much better. I let it air cool. I will not do any welding on it... just prime it and use that darn $10 can of spray paint :( Thanks, for all the information. (if it ever does break, I'll bring this tread to life again :))

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #47  
Good Evenin Teg,
Darn good job son !!! ;) Youre a quick learner ! :) My 35 years as a toolmaker get in the way sometimes, Ive got a problem about everything having to run true within a couple of thousanths ! :confused: :)

That staright edge is all you really need for that job ! ;)

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #48  
Good job Teg,
I was afraid that bend and where it was might be too much even if you heated it, but it looks like it turned out just fine.

/ How to straighten a Tie Rod? #49  
3RRL said:
Good job Teg,
I was afraid that bend and where it was might be too much even if you heated it, but it looks like it turned out just fine.

I thought the same after seeing that last cleaned up but bent picture. I almost would have cut the bend out, beveled the 2 pieces and butt welded it backtogether. Probably a bit stronger to.

But it looks good from here!