How to unload tractor from a pontoon

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #1  

acs55812

Silver Member
Tractor
4100/410
Yes thats right, if I want to get a project done this fall at the cabin the only way to get there is via pontoon, now loading on the land side is easy---however I have a problem in unloading on the other side of the lake. I could wait and take it out there after freezeup---however I am not really that keen on working outside in the winter.

I have a rocky shoreline (3-10 inch rocks) with the exception of one small sandy area about 10 feet wide.

If possible I would like to keep the pontoon back far enough as not to bottom out on the rocks and in a perfect world I would take a bush hog, FEL, wood chipper and 4100 John Deere (this would require two trips I am sure---but gotta figure out a ramp for the opposite side.

Thoughts?

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #2  
I am a boat guy and you have me stumped on this one. I am guessing the only real choice is to build a dock by setting up some pilings in the lake bed then drive the pontoon up to the dock and leave the motor in gear at a low idle to hold it in place.

The first question is can the boat handle the weight and is it stable enough to handle this top heavy load? I have seen more than one pontoon rolled over.

Chris

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon
Hex pontoons 25 inches high, and about 22 wide (Pontoon is totally open like a cargo ship!) ---should handle the weight fine, and centering load is easy enough, its just that jump from pontoon to land that bothers me---did I mention I can't swim?

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #4  
Can't swim,how are you at bridge building ?!

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #5  
Sounds like a challenge. Do you have some pics?

I'm thinking about those portable bridges and seeing some industrial planks???

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #6  
Is the camp on an island or opposite shore of lake? The 4100 looks to be subcompact size. Does it have a backhoe? I have seen excavators that will float and have pontoons in place of the tracks. They work in the lake and shoreline while floating. You said you have a ten foot beach to land on. Is the beach rocky? Will you have ballast to hold barge level while loading and unloading. Maybe make a pair of landing ramps with float drums underneath. A large barge could have a crane or tow truck to lift tractor off and on. We have a large lake in NH,with a colony of houses on an island. They have a barge to bring suppiles and delivery trucks or service trucks over. It isn't cheap to have this service. plowking

The 10 foot beach is sandy, the rest of the 200 feet is rocky.

and add to the possibilities that in my stash of goods is 600 feet of 1 inch nylon rope---I'm beginning to envision a "suspension" type bridge from deck of pontoon to shore made of nylon rope---planks or boards across three strands of rope 50ish feet long anchored to tree/trees on shore and secured to deck of pontoon--problem is to hold the pontoon out in the water when weight is on bridge.----all this is thinking/rambling out loud

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #8  
You gotta post some pictures. I'm stumped on this one. Could you make a portable bridge out of wood and metal tubing like the top deck to utility trailers to place on the shore and on the boat?

Is the camp on an island or opposite shore of lake? The 4100 looks to be subcompact size. Does it have a backhoe? I have seen excavators that will float and have pontoons in place of the tracks. They work in the lake and shoreline while floating. You said you have a ten foot beach to land on. Is the beach rocky? Will you have ballast to hold barge level while loading and unloading. Maybe make a pair of landing ramps with float drums underneath. A large barge could have a crane or tow truck to lift tractor off and on. We have a large lake in NH,with a colony of houses on an island. They have a barge to bring suppiles and delivery trucks or service trucks over. It isn't cheap to have this service. plowking

Is the camp on an island or opposite shore of lake?---OPPOSITE SHORE OF LAKE WITH NO ROAD ACCESS

Does it have a backhoe? I have seen excavators that will float and have pontoons in place of the tracks. NO BACKHOE, AND TRACTOR WEIGHS ABOUT 1500 POUNDS ITSELF

Compared to what you describe---scale the project back to a 8 X 16 foot pontoon deck and small tractor---remote cabin in the woods with no road access.

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #10  
I haven't read anything yet (except the commercial barge comment) that isn't going to end in disaster.

Your one and only option as I see it is to beach the boat on the sand beach and drive the tractor down a ramp. Floating and ballasting a working pier is not a job for amateurs.

I'm pretty sure that you have a problem with your boat, too. Having sufficient flotation to float a tractor does not mean that you aren't going to capsize. Flotation and ballast (center of gravity) have to be carefully considered. Wait for the ice or get the advice of a pro.