How to unload tractor from a pontoon

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #21  
I've lived on the the shore of a lake most of my life and have seen all sorts of boating accidents.
The dimensions of the boat 8x16 would make a nice trailer for your tractor if it were being driven down the road. I think a boat loaded as you describe will be prone to capsizing once it is under way. Once the boat pitches slightly the high center of gravity and rather narrow platform will roll easily.
I vote wait for the freeze up. If not tie then a buoy to you tractor with a 100' rope.

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #22  
so you already have a pontoon "trailer"? a pontoon "boat" or your going to build one thats pourpous built?

i dont understand why you just cant build a flop down ramp at one end say....8' long. use a small 12v wench to lower and raise the angle iron/wood plank contraption.

float up to the sandy portion, beach the pontoon, flop the ramp down and drive off.

15b_LCVPLGE.gif

without the tall sides...

(its a real original idea i know)

Last edited:
   / How to unload tractor from a pontoon #23  
the other question is... once its there, does it live there for ever and ever... or is this something your trucking back and forth a couple times a year?

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #24  
Yes thats right, if I want to get a project done this fall at the cabin the only way to get there is via pontoon, now loading on the land side is easy---however I have a problem in unloading on the other side of the lake. I could wait and take it out there after freezeup---however I am not really that keen on working outside in the winter.

Have you searched the forum? I seem to remember someone in a similar stuation some years back, that had to move his equipment in Alaska or something. I'm thinking like 7 or 8 years back. Would be worth looking.

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #25  
   / How to unload tractor from a pontoon
the other question is... once its there, does it live there for ever and ever... or is this something your trucking back and forth a couple times a year?

The ramp idea may work---I'm not good at calculating construction strength--I just gotta figure out what will support about 2000-2400 pounds

The pontoon already exists

Its more of a one time trip---or at least once every 3-5 years kinda trip---do major cleanup then bring it back home----I have considered and can't decide if I should wait til freeze up---take equipment out there---leave it for one year---do work next summer at cabin and just figure out a different method of mowing grass ect around home for one summer

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #28  
The ramp idea may work---I'm not good at calculating construction strength--I just gotta figure out what will support about 2000-2400 pounds

you've seen the removable ramps they build for trailers, you can do the same thing if you dont want to build one huge wide ramp.... just two drop down ramps.

i would think 6' long at a min. again youll want some method to help you raise and lower them.

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #29  
I hear more divorces start on boat ramps than anyplace else; this brings it to a whole new level!

/ How to unload tractor from a pontoon #30  
Notice the difference betweeen schism's vessel (built for the job under discussion) and a pontoon boat?

CENTER OF GRAVITY!