How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style)

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #11  
I'm with Midsouth and shvl73...

Looks like they're doing what they need to do to get it done with what they have.

If they were unfortunate enough to have to attempt this in the US, there is no way they would be able to get their lumber sawed... Safety Patrol here on TBN would have shut them down a long time ago and made them sleep in a tent.

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #12  
kinda reminds me of the old cord wood saws that ran off a tractors clutch wheel. only we never ran wood through it that size. in places like where this video was shot you do waht you have to do to survive.

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #13  
As wild as that may look to folks today, I'm pretty certain that my father, FIL and their father's have seen or taken part in similar operations. Buying lumber or equipment wasn't always an option.

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #14  
That must be where my local 84 lumber gets there 2x4s.

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #15  
That show reminds me of a song by Sargent Barry Sadler....

12 men heard the call, ready to give their all, .....invinceable, the A team.:p

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #16  
Thats right farmerjim that's what it reminded me of to. Too many people today don't use that round thing on there shoulders for what it is made for. They expect other people to take care of them instead of doing it themselves. Our parents and grandparents would not have seen anything wrong with that setup. They would just use common sense around it something that is sadly lacking in todays society.

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #17  
YOu dont have to go to Africa to see that kind of stuff. I am currently on a job in Nigeria, but I just came from Mexico and witnessed some of the same type of issues. When I mentioned the saftey attitude of one on the Mexican National supervisors and stated that a few lawsuits from injured worker might change the companies attitudes, I was informed that in Mexico if a worker is killed even due to negligence by the contractor, they are only required to pay a maximum of $10,000 and that is PESOS not dollars. When I was there it was 10 pesos to the dollar. Do you think American companiese would be as safety conscience if they could kill a worker thru negligence and only be liable for 1000 USD. Personally I wouldnt want to limit them to that and work for one to find out. Now that we have been exposed to safe work sites, I dont think any of us would even think about working with the type of hazards that you see, but these 3rd World nationals dont know any better so they continue to use what ever they can scrounge and put together to do the job, like welding with a pair of dark safety glasses. There was a 20 page ?discussion here recently about whether or not to use a HF autodarkening hood. That welder having to use the safety glasses would likely kill for one of those and yet folks here were worrying about whether or not it darkened at 1/100,000 of a second or 1/99,000 of a second.
Oddly enough, most of those hazards that we see and would not work around, these guys do it every day and rarely get hurt because they are aware of the dangers and seem to keep their mind on what they are doing. IF they get hurt, there is no workmans comp for them and no big payoff to the widow, just a lot of pain and suffering.

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #19  
Guys, I agree they've got to get it done with what they've got, but surely a coulple of minor changes would add to the safety and quality of the job. It just looks so darn risky. That said, I don't know if I'm smart enought to know what those changes may be so perhaps if I was there I would be log pusher number 13.

I guess we're pretty lucky to have the tools we've got!