How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style)

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #21  
Seems like they could build some saw horses at each end of the saw so they don't have to lift all of the time. They will still have to lift to push/pull but they would do so with less effort.

The sawing part does not look tooooooooo bad. They are not that near the blade. The tractor cordwood saws scare the heck out of me. :eek::D

The 55 gallon drum full of gas is ok. There is a board on top holding the fuel line. Looks like spark has a a 60% chance of getting gas. :D:D:D:D

Later,
Dan

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #22  
But...they are working and trying...not sitting on the welfare couch or driving the drug paid for car or shotting the neighbor. Bet they would help their neighbor and for fact know them. Not been than long ago here. I admire their attitude. So who here is going to make any effort to help improve the situation for them? Boy wouldn't they like our old saw mills.

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #25  
is it just me, or is that a 55 gallon drum of fuel just sitting there open about 3 feet from the exhaust pipe?

amp

I think its a thermosiphon tank for cooling the engine.

tom

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #26  
In my country we use circular saws to rip logs too. But not this way:) The saw is on a cart, the cart rides on rails and the log is secured to rails. It works really well and it is not as sensitive as band saw. The blade is 3 - 4 feet dia and motors are 3 phase assynchrons.

I helped a neighbor rip logs many times, with safety covers and caution it is pretty safe. The picture is just random one from the internet, but it pretty much sums it up.

Attachments

• katr.jpg
    katr.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 176
   / How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #27  
I'm pretty sure that is a Yanmar single cylinder diesel engine, probably about 8 HP, and quite a bit underpowered to drive that size of a blade. These engines are liquid cooled, but no water pump, just thermo siphon with on on board radiator and cooling fan. With the load they have on it, they probably needed the extra cooling.

As a kid, we used to cut firewood with a similar setup, except it was mounted on the front of an "H" Farmall and driven by the side pulley. And we didn't rip logs, rather we cut them into short pieces for the wood stove. It had a totally exposed 36" blade, including on the bottom, and boy would that thing cut wood. We were very careful around that blade, and no one was ever hurt. I cut many, many wagon loads of wood with that thing. Now it seems a lot more dangerous than it did then; we didn't know any better.

But the point is, if you're careful, what they are doing really isn't that bad. And I sure appreciate their ingenuity. When Katrina hit down south, many of these people sat in their gvm't issued trailers and waited on someone else to take care of them, and complained because it didn't happen fast enough, etc.

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style)
But the point is, if you're careful, what they are doing really isn't that bad. And I sure appreciate their ingenuity. When Katrina hit down south, many of these people sat in their gvm't issued trailers and waited on someone else to take care of them, and complained because it didn't happen fast enough, etc.

I showed this video to a friend of mine who just returned from 3 years of working as a carpenter/construction chief in Ghana.
He said, this is nothing yet. He has seen more people, pushing even bigger trees through a saw like this.

He said, these folks wont get hurt, because they have a lot more respect for the saw that we (Europeans) have. They are in constant attention, while operators of modern saws trust their shields and safety measures.

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #29  

You'll have to forgive me for not saluting tiier ingenuity nor sympathizing with their crude set up. Fact is when our son was in Dar Esalam Tanzania in 2003 he saw literally hundreds of Tanzanians wearing T shirts depicting the World Trade Centers falling down with two thumbs up and this is the consensis of the overall population. It is notablly not a very friendly country to Americans. As far as I am concerned they can sit there and push that log all day and I wouldn't lift a finger to help them. Our son said it was very creepy being there.

/ How to wreck a saw in 10 minutes (african style) #30  
You'll have to forgive me for not saluting tiier ingenuity nor sympathizing with their crude set up. Fact is when our son was in Dar Esalam Tanzania in 2003 he saw literally hundreds of Tanzanians wearing T shirts depicting the World Trade Centers falling down with two thumbs up and this is the consensis of the overall population. It is notablly not a very friendly country to Americans. As far as I am concerned they can sit there and push that log all day and I wouldn't lift a finger to help them. Our son said it was very creepy being there.

I think the government in those countries benefits greatly by keeping cavemen in their caves while officials live the lives of the rich and famous often with personal investments in the developed countries. For those cavemen a free T shirt is probably a weeks pay. MikeD74T