Howard Rotavator E50 questions

/ Howard Rotavator E50 questions #11  
Greetings - Just joined this forum. I too recently bought a Howard Selectatilth Rotavator which looks like it is going to take some elbow grease to get it operational. First question is can someone send a photo of where to find the serial number / model. I cannot seem to locate it and if was on an attached tag it may be gone. Judging from posted photos it looks like it could be an E50. Secondly, is anyone aware of a parts supplier in Canada? Thanks.

/ Howard Rotavator E50 questions #12  
JB - the tag is located under the input shaft on the side of the chain case that turns the tines. If you look under the tube, where all the oil/dirt sludge is its under there. I'm from ontario as well, just picked up my e 50 yesterday, so i'm still finding everything out.

/ Howard Rotavator E50 questions #13  
Thanks HornBlower. Unfortunately the metal tag seems to have broken away from where it was mounted. I read in the manual that there was to be a serial number stamped on the mast frame. Have you seen the serial number there? Mine may be under rust! Have you looked for a source for parts in Canada? I just removed the chain case to determine why there was no gear oil. Alas the previous owner had used silicone for a gasket and it was virtually gone. As well the large roller chain had not been adjusted properly and the slack caused the chain to rub against the inside of the chaincase and actually wore through the case in 2 locations. Now I am looking for a welder to repair the chaincase and neoprene stock for the gasket. I can't believe the number of rusted bolts I had to remove on the weekend but at least it is progress. A word of caution - check the chain tension as directed in the manuals that Sean posted. Thanks again.

/ Howard Rotavator E50 questions #14  
Your machine is an E Series IV Howard Rotavator. The four rotor speeds with standard gears (15, 16, 17 & 18 teeth) are 122, 153, 172 ad 216 RPM. Recommended gear oil is S.A.E. 90 per the Howard manual. The machine can be mounted offset 10" to the right or center mounted.
The serial number locations are on a plate riveted to the left hand side plate near where the tube from the center gearbox is attached to the side plate and stamped in the arm to the right of the gearbox (U bolt on one end and welded to front support tube). I can see from the photo it is definitely an E Series IV.
I can give you information on maintenance and adjustments.
Steve Mundy, Howard USA Phone 815-765-9505 Email howardrotavator2007@yahoo.com

/ Howard Rotavator E50 questions #15  
Hello,
where can I buy spere parts in my old howard rotavator selectatilth gear?

kind reguards,

/ Howard Rotavator E50 questions #16  
Hello there,
have just got a howard rotavator for restoration with normal problems tines and backdoor,
Big problem is the slip clutch and drive from gearbox to pto :(

anybody know where i can get one of these shafts or what it is called please.
Over here in ireland not sure if its a Series 3 or 4 till I see it again

/ Howard Rotavator E50 questions #17  
Hey guys i have a 7ft Howard Rotavator with a selectatilth gear box its old, i need the interchangeable gears that are behind the cover, anybody know where i can get some thanx. Machine # EM37086B

Last edited:
   / Howard Rotavator E50 questions #18  
The serial seems to be missing a digit. It probably is EM637086B. The B indicates manufactured in 1962. It is an E Series 3. Gears are the same as the E Series 4. See attachment to access E 4 parts list on line and contact information to buy parts

Attachments

• Internet parts list info.pdf
    392.4 KB · Views: 1,716
   / Howard Rotavator E50 questions #19