Tractor Sizing HP and loader sizing question

/ HP and loader sizing question #31  
Wonder how the efficiency stacks up vs a HST trans? And wonder just how much power they do rob? I know the hoe is sluggish in road gear, and any hills require a downshift. But alot of that is simply an 18000# machine with a 67HP motor. Dont matter what kind of trans it has, it aint gonna pull much of a grade in 18.5MPH road gear.

Good questions.

A clutch trans in a hoe would be a huge step backwards. Even it would climb that hill in high gear. :)

/ HP and loader sizing question #32  
So you agree with me, when I said: "Torque converters are power robbers, and make a lot of heat".

That's NOT something you want in a tractor used to pull tools efficiently..."

Sure you can cool the Torq C oil off, but heat = wasted energy...

Anyway, FARM tractors, need to be as fuel efficient and put at much power to the PTO and ground as possible, a Torq C doesn't do that, and THAT is what I was trying to get across, to answer LD1 question...

SR

I clearly stated my opinion and thoughts in my post. I agree that a full lock up transmission is more efficient for field use with open work areas. I would much prefer a hydro or torque converter set up working in tight quarters.

/ HP and loader sizing question #33  
Like I stated before, the skip loaders use a locking converter where the the turbine and impeller are locked together thus reducing heat. I would think that coupled with a properly designed/sized cooler should allow it to perform field work. I could be wrong though. It would be awesome if I could dig up an account or two of someone using one of these tractors in this capacity. That being said, nothing beats a crash box for durability. That's why most of the real big trucks use them.

/ HP and loader sizing question #34  
"Fendts" IVT is the best of those worlds...

IMO it's MUCH better than a torq C and much much better than a straight hydro...

SR

/ HP and loader sizing question #36  
"Fendts" IVT is the best of those worlds...

IMO it's MUCH better than a torq C and much much better than a straight hydro...

SR
From the IVT wiki. Though no citation was provided.

"however one weakness to the Vario is its power consumption, in comparison to a mechanical transmission, most IVT/CVT gearboxes can lose 10–20 hp in the transmission due to the hydraulic swing pump element of the transmission"

/ HP and loader sizing question #37  
From the IVT wiki. Though no citation was provided.

"however one weakness to the Vario is its power consumption, in comparison to a mechanical transmission, most IVT/CVT gearboxes can lose 10–20 hp in the transmission due to the hydraulic swing pump element of the transmission"
Depends on what you are doing with the tractor, it also can move power from the IVT, putting power through gears, for full power to the ground just like a gear drive tractor.

SR

/ HP and loader sizing question #38  
I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll throw a wrench in the works anyway...

Since you already have a tractor, have you considered a skidsteer instead of a new tractor? The big ones will lift 5,000 lbs and you can't get a center of gravity much lower than one of those machines. It would be very maneuverable around the sawmill, and you could put tracks on it for use out in the woods. Is your 3720 big enough to handle most of the skidding work with a 3-point winch on the back?

As an added bonus, the skidsteer would be useful for earthwork when you break ground, and you could use a trenching attachment to run power and water lines.

/ HP and loader sizing question #39  
I bought a skid steer and it tore up the ground every place you turned with it, worse than my dozer does! I hated that thing around my mill! Tracks made it even worse, so I SOON sent it down the road...

I couldn't pull loads of logs with it either, so I was glad to see it gone!

SR

/ HP and loader sizing question
Drove down to TN and did a survey of the property and met our guy who is going to knock in our road. The first pic is broinlaw in front of the ave sized timber we will be handling. Second, with big belly, is me in front of the biggest one we found running the boarder fence....it made it this far and isn't going anywhere.
image.jpegimage.jpeg