Hp vs weight in new tractor

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #11  
Have you looked at any on the MF. You might want to check out the MF1652L.
Jeremy

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor
I was looking a the 5035hst. the dealer near me said he hardly ever sells those because people are not that concerned with hst as they are with the price difference. he was trying to go with the shuttle shift on different models. I find that hard to believe. He also said their hp ratings are way under what they really are compared to Kubota, he sold Kubota for years. I always have a herd time believing these salesman as they want to sell what they have on the lot.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #13  
I don't know how the Mahindra weighs so much more than comparable tractors. Were you looking at a Grand L Kubota, they are really nice. This L4240 has plenty of power for what I do. I checked underneath my L4240 and with a magnet, and it is all cast iron. The 5035 is a slightly larger looking tractor to me.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #14  
I don't know how the Mahindra weighs so much more than comparable tractors. Were you looking at a Grand L Kubota, they are really nice. This L4240 has plenty of power for what I do. I checked underneath my L4240 and with a magnet, and it is all cast iron. The 5035 is a slightly larger looking tractor to me.

I should say I think Kubota and Mahindra both build good tractors. I also suspect but can't prove that Kubota has spent more time and research developing their line of tractors and have worked out the castings and designs to a more efficient use of the materials. That is to say they (Kubota) have reduced the unneeded weight and are using high quality materials so that they can maintain a high degree of durability and strength in a lighter weight tractor. R & D and high technology cost more than the raw steel, you can add water or Rimguard for ballasting but it is hard to remove extra built in weight. Mahindra builds a heavy casting much like older tractors but with a lower level of technology I suspect but can't prove. I would say in Mahindras' defense that they are catching up fast though and will become higher tech tractors in the short term. You work with what you have and at this stage in Mahindras' development they are selling weight. I have only seen a few Mahindra tractors but they appear to be good solid tractors but lack some of the refinements of Kubota and Deere.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #15  
I should say I think Kubota and Mahindra both build good tractors. I also suspect but can't prove that Kubota has spent more time and research developing their line of tractors and have worked out the castings and designs to a more efficient use of the materials. That is to say they (Kubota) have reduced the unneeded weight and are using high quality materials so that they can maintain a high degree of durability and strength in a lighter weight tractor. R & D and high technology cost more than the raw steel, you can add water or Rimguard for ballasting but it is hard to remove extra built in weight. Mahindra builds a heavy casting much like older tractors but with a lower level of technology I suspect but can't prove. I would say in Mahindras' defense that they are catching up fast though and will become higher tech tractors in the short term. You work with what you have and at this stage in Mahindras' development they are selling weight. I have only seen a few Mahindra tractors but they appear to be good solid tractors but lack some of the refinements of Kubota and Deere.

I agree with the above post, and would add that the type of steel used , and it's quality and , its treatments, or lack of, can make a lighter machine much stronger and higher quality than a heavier one. Junk "heavy" steal can be made that is barely stronger than sand glued together.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #16  

It is not just Kubota that they are heavier than. Check out this chart. i could understand them being 4000 or 4200lbs but to be almost 1700lbs heavier than the closest competitor, something somewhere is wrong. 1700lbs is a lot of iron. They say it weighs 5389 but I am wondering if it is a typo and supposed to be 3589? I have seen mistakes like this before on their site.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #17  
I agree with the above post, and would add that the type of steel used , and it's quality and , its treatments, or lack of, can make a lighter machine much stronger and higher quality than a heavier one. Junk "heavy" steal can be made that is barely stronger than sand glued together.
Just like some aluminum alloys are way stronger than cast iron.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #18  
It is not just Kubota that they are heavier than. Check out this chart. i could understand them being 4000 or 4200lbs but to be almost 1700lbs heavier than the closest competitor, something somewhere is wrong. 1700lbs is a lot of iron. They say it weighs 5389 but I am wondering if it is a typo and supposed to be 3589? I have seen mistakes like this before on their site.

I have about 1100 lbs of iron weights on my 4520 and can say that it doesn't take up much space, that would be fairly easy to add in to a 50hp tractor. I should also point out that in the link you referenced Mahindra brings up the heavy components aspect three times on the front page. As I mentioned above they are selling weight with thicker metal, I have no reference as to the quality of that metal that is above my pay grade.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor
thanks for all the imput, so many more points to consider. I am going to find a dealer that stocks them and get a hands on look.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #20  
If you are looking for a 50 horse class deluxe tractor look at the Kioti DK50se with hydro. See if it fits you. I don't know about the Mahindra either. They sure look tough. I wish I knew about the lighter weight better quality steel vs the heavy weight, perhaps lower quality steel argument, but I am thinking that would take a lab analysis to know that for sure. Everyone will have to admit that the Mahindra 5035 with those big meaty industrials on it, is one badazz looking tractor.!

James K0UA