Hp vs weight in new tractor

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #21  
Has anyone heard of any CUT breaking in half? Maybe if hit by a car doing 30 but let's face facts even the cheap Chinese tractors are built plenty strong. Even if Kubota uses engineering and science to build a lighter tractor made out of better grade metal while Mahindra uses the more is better and lower quality steel mantra it really doesn't matter. Both do their job just fine. Personally I wouldn't want a 6000lb tractor. Once you add in a loader, an attachment, and tire ballast you are going to be too heavy for a 10k trailer. It could be pushing what can safely be towed with a 12k trailer. Either way I would have no way of pulling that load (unless I was to use my 2 1/2 ton International at 4 mpg). But that's me. For someone else they may buy it, get it dropped off by the dealer, and then it never leaves their property or have a 14k gooseneck and a 1 ton dually.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #22  
I heard of a guy breaking a big New Holland in half, he had the loader on the 3ph hooked to a stump trying to pull it out. That's what a guy at a dealership told me, I don't know if it is true. Of course under normal conditions he would have never broker it in half.

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #23  
I should say I think Kubota and Mahindra both build good tractors. I also suspect but can't prove that Kubota has spent more time and research developing their line of tractors and have worked out the castings and designs to a more efficient use of the materials. That is to say they (Kubota) have reduced the unneeded weight and are using high quality materials so that they can maintain a high degree of durability and strength in a lighter weight tractor. R & D and high technology cost more than the raw steel, you can add water or Rimguard for ballasting but it is hard to remove extra built in weight. Mahindra builds a heavy casting much like older tractors but with a lower level of technology I suspect but can't prove. I would say in Mahindras' defense that they are catching up fast though and will become higher tech tractors in the short term. You work with what you have and at this stage in Mahindras' development they are selling weight. I have only seen a few Mahindra tractors but they appear to be good solid tractors but lack some of the refinements of Kubota and Deere.

Very good points, for me I ballast my tractors for my intended uses, wheel weights and 3PH weight can be added, but I can't think of a good way to remove it from a heavily built tractor. I don't question the quality of any tractor based on weight or lack thereof and a heavy tractor might just be the ticket for some; for me, I like the option.

You won't find an Ag tractor in my area that doesn't have added ballast which can be tailored for the task.

Last edited:
   / Hp vs weight in new tractor #24  
I heard of a guy breaking a big New Holland in half, he had the loader on the 3ph hooked to a stump trying to pull it out. That's what a guy at a dealership told me, I don't know if it is true. Of course under normal conditions he would have never broker it in half.
There are several threads on here of NH tractors breaking in half...
It would be interesting to see if a Mahindra is actually stronger, or if they just use more of a cheaper grade of cast steel vs less of a higher grade of cast steel.

Aaron Z

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #25  
Mahinda's are made of sand glued together. Really?

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #26  
   / Hp vs weight in new tractor #28  
Mahinda's are made of sand glued together. Really?
No, what was said is that cast steel CAN be made to be not much stronger than sand glued together. See the original post below:
I agree with the above post, and would add that the type of steel used , and it's quality and , its treatments, or lack of, can make a lighter machine much stronger and higher quality than a heavier one. Junk "heavy" steal can be made that is barely stronger than sand glued together.

Aaron Z

/ Hp vs weight in new tractor #30  
Well not exactly, but post 15, um.. kinda mentioned something like that.

What aczlan said and I agree; didn't take it to mean Mahindras, but just production variables in general; maybe I misread it.

I told the story some time ago of my father in law buying a massive vice for his business. He got it from a discount tool place with which we are all familiar. I had tried to get him to buy a good quality one, but no, he was convinced based on the sheer weight and size he had a winner.

Well as luck would have it, I bent the snot out of something and took it down to the shop to straighten it. I put a little "cheater bar" on and BAM, it sounded like a bomb when that thing split in two.

I went out and bought a good quality one half the size, fixed the part and thirty plus years later it's still in use.