HST or manual shift on B series?

/ HST or manual shift on B series? #11  
I think you'd know it if you needed manual transmission on a tractor. Otherwise, HST is likely the more versatile choice.

/ HST or manual shift on B series? #12  
I actually preferred gear transmissions for its simplicity and easier to manage power transfer..... Then, I got my B2320. First, the gears are not synchronized... Real pain to deal with. Second, on a relatively small, light machine, loader work can be frustrating with a gear transmission as it is tough to manage traction, forward momentum, clutch, brakes and loader.... I could use an extra arm or leg to get a full bucket on a first try. Lastly, and I hate to admit this, there are occasional gear grinding sounds that always make me think of what's going to break next. My advice: go HST!

/ HST or manual shift on B series?
Thanks for all the quick info and opinions. Seems like a consensus for the HST.

/ HST or manual shift on B series? #14  
When you say "manual shift", do you mean GST or like a "real" gear tractor with a typical clutch and everything?

ac

/ HST or manual shift on B series? #15  
I have used hst, hydro shuttle and gear drive.

I much prefer gear drive!

/ HST or manual shift on B series? #16  
I have had HST tractors since '98(and also used full gear tractors), but have also rented L35 TLB with GST a few times. HST is wonderful, but I did like the GST too. I have no problems with gear tractors.

When you say "manual shift", do you mean GST or like a "real" gear tractor with a typical clutch and everything?

ac

/ HST or manual shift on B series? #17  
I have had HST tractors since '98(and also used full gear tractors), but have also rented L35 TLB with GST a few times. HST is wonderful, but I did like the GST too. I have no problems with gear tractors.

That's why I was wondering. I own an L39 with the GST. I am wicked fast with it. You don't need to "clutch" to change speeds or directions. Just throw the levers. I also like how the foot throttle works like a car. It does take a lot of practice learning to work the machine properly. You learn that you can't just STOP the machine with the brakes. Inching around involves using the standard clutch.

I borrowed an L45 which has the HST. I live on hilly ground. I found that I need to shift ranges to go from the flats up the hills. That means coming to a complete stop, clutching from M to L and then starting out again. Then stop again at the top, clutch from L to M and then take off again. On the GST, I approach the hill, pull the gear selector lever back a few gears and continue right up, once I reach the top slide the lever forward a few gears and continue. I NEVER come to a stop.

I'm still working the L39 and L45 side by side. I do A LOT of loader and pallet work, but I also brush hog a good bit. I LOVE the GST for brush hogging. It is like having cruise control. The L45 doesn't seem to have cruise control and holding the pedal might get old after a few passes.

ac

/ HST or manual shift on B series? #18  
I have a gear drive 70 HP tractor and a hydrastatic drive B26 Kubota. The B26 is so much quicker than the gear drive in loader work and also much easier to inch forward or backward when needing to. For 2.5 acres, I wouldnt look at anything but hydro drive for mowing or any other task. If you had to mow 20-40 acres a gear drive would be preferable to holding down the hydro pedal for hours. Some of the higher end tractors with lots of bells and whistles have a cruise control on them, but I have never used one so I cant say anything about their operation.

Gary most of even the economy HST equipped tractors will have a cruise control, because so many people use them for mowing. even though the Kubota I had was a mechanical system it worked well. The more high end have an electromechanical system.

/ HST or manual shift on B series? #19  
My old Kubota B8200HST and current NH TC40D HST tractors are that way. Still have to stop, switch range, then continue up the hill...

My expierience with the L35 was 4 or 5 different daily rentals. I definitely liked the GST. At that time I had my B8200, and was also using a Bobcat S185 skidsteer. For using a variety of tractors, I was impressed with GST.

for the larger L series it is great, but for the B series, it is not an option that I know of.

I borrowed an L45 which has the HST. I live on hilly ground. I found that I need to shift ranges to go from the flats up the hills. That means coming to a complete stop, clutching from M to L and then starting out again. Then stop again at the top, clutch from L to M and then take off again. On the GST, I approach the hill, pull the gear selector lever back a few gears and continue right up, once I reach the top slide the lever forward a few gears and continue. I NEVER come to a stop.

/ HST or manual shift on B series? #20  
Now that you've heard everyone else's opinion, here's mine.

HST.

Short, simple and to the point. I could regail you with comparisons between the gear tractores we have at the farm or the HST tractors I use at the house but the recommendation will be the same.