HST over Geared tractor

/ HST over Geared tractor #71  
Think of the letter L when it comes to Hydros: Lawn-mowing, Loader use, Landscaping, Ladies (they always like hydros better), and Lazy folks (generaly less work involved in operation). I have (6) tractors. (2) Hydros are only used for lawn-mowing, gear tractors for everything else. My loader tractor is gear but shuttle shift and I admit that a hydro would be a little better for that application. Luckily, I dont have a lot of use for a loader so I get by ok with the gear/shuttle. Most of the work I do is open field mowing or heavy ground engageing tasks, both of which are far better suited to gear tractors.

/ HST over Geared tractor #72  
That's it.. I'm outta this thread..

Down to spelling picking?

I type on a netbook with micro keyboard and 8" screen.. and I DO NOT go back and waste time to spell check. If it can be parsed by an average audience, I let it post.

soundguy

The truly funny thing about this, is that I thought you had misspelled intelligence on purpose. I had no intention of nit-picking, just good natured joking around. Sorry I didn't make my intention clearer.

Heck, I'm known as the typo king around these parts:D Takes me ten extra minutes to post, gotta recheck everything;)

Mark

/ HST over Geared tractor #73  
LOL these gear/hydro threads are always a hoot.:D

Let's start another one strictly for the entertainment value.:rolleyes:

/ HST over Geared tractor #74  
[QUOTELadies (they always like hydros better][/QUOTE]

Never try and discern the likes/dislikes of the Farm ladies as they walk up the steps to the cab!:D:D

/ HST over Geared tractor #75  
Think of the letter L when it comes to Hydros: Lawn-mowing, Loader use, Landscaping, Ladies (they always like hydros better), and Lazy folks (generaly less work involved in operation). I have (6) tractors. (2) Hydros are only used for lawn-mowing, gear tractors for everything else. My loader tractor is gear but shuttle shift and I admit that a hydro would be a little better for that application. Luckily, I dont have a lot of use for a loader so I get by ok with the gear/shuttle. Most of the work I do is open field mowing or heavy ground engageing tasks, both of which are far better suited to gear tractors.

I kind of like your perspective of the letter L and HST. However, even with open field mowing, I still like the HST. Mowing does not require any significant ground engaging effort. If an area of bush hogging is light, just step on the HST and go faster. If heavy, back off and mow slower.

For me gear drive wins with frequent and heavy ground engaging tasks. For the vast majority of users, frequent and prolonged ground engaging tasks are not common with CUTs. I would estimate a HST looses 15%-20% efficiency in putting power to the ground. However, most CUTS are probably overpowered compared to their weight and tire type (turf and R4s not best traction compared to R1s).

/ HST over Geared tractor #76  
LOL these gear/hydro threads are always a hoot.:D

Let's start another one strictly for the entertainment value.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I could go back and copy some posts from 2001...you guys would never know it.

/ HST over Geared tractor #77  
I love reading discussions like this, brings out MANY different perspectives for people to consider, the flaming I can live without.

The OP asked for information and guidance, well he's got a LOT of both and if like me is overwhelmed with information and opinion.

Many have made good an informative posts about the +/- of both systems and honestly from where I stand (sit) the deciding factor is intended use.

I for one do not subscribe that any tool is "safe", EVER and the only time one is "safer" than another is when one has a defect in design making it unsafe and the other tool does not. Safety is the RESPONSIBILITY of the operator in my world, PERIOD. I know people who drive 20,000 miles a year and have never had an accident in their life who are in the 50s and older. I also know younger people who drive a few thousand miles a year and get into an accident every year or more. Obviously that's not a design flaw of the tool, but a mental defect, I've got a few of those like most people.

My first tractor use was an old JD narrow front that I almost flipped going up hill plowing because I was inexperienced, not because of a defect in the tool.

HST is GREAT for a lot of things, as others have properly suggested most likely the best choice when you want full PTO power with variable ground speeds, it's the obvious choice in my book under those conditions. Also, mowing the turf, as in yard work they are better IMO than a gear model because you have fine control of ground speed and again want full PTO/mower power.

Gear tractors are superior for pulling and field work. They are NOT for users unfamiliar with a manual shift transmission and this is, IMO, the PRIMARY reason to go HST for most new owners. The prevalance of shift transmissions in cars and trucks has sropped from 60% to under 5% since the early 60's. People simply don't have good familiarity with manual shift transmissions. That's not wrong, just a BIG change.

My opinion and remember what you paid for it. ;)