HST Plus DS Hi/Lo hiccup

/ HST Plus DS Hi/Lo hiccup #11  
The EGR valve is activated by a temperature-sensitive pressure switch. By putting a valve in the pressure line the EGR can be controlled to produce less heavy black smoke.

Got it, thanks

/ HST Plus DS Hi/Lo hiccup #12  
When was the last time you did a full hydraulic fluid change? I find my HST more responsive with less HI/LOW hunting/hesitation in 3rd gear. I haven't noticed the hesitation in 1st or 2nd.

/ HST Plus DS Hi/Lo hiccup
Got it, thanks

A bit more info.... Kubota'a version of an EGR valve is nothing at all like the simple old EGR "clatter valves" used on automotive gas engine intake manifolds for a couple of decades in the late 60s to 80s.

The Kubota version is pretty complex & was only used for a few years. I don't know if Kubota's EGR engines had anything to do with emissions regulations, but adding an EGR to their popular & proven old direct injection 03-M series engines just happened to fit a loophole called the "Interim" Tier 4 Emission Regulations.

That loophole allowed Kubota to continue with their old proven 03-M direct mechanical injection engine in some tractors from 2007 to 2012 . The EGR version was discontinued when the interim regs expired and soot (black smoke) reduction became more strict.

Those EGR motors appear to be good reliable engines. Maybe they are a bit of a fuel hog like any diesel that "rolls coal" when loaded down.... As near as I can tell by turning the EGR on our M59 on and off, it's not the EGR that makes them smoke. I'm not 100% sure, but suspect they smoke because of retarded injector timing to produce less NOx emissions - which also fits the Interim Tier 4 regs.
rScotty

Attachments

• Engine Specs_V2403-M-T-E3B_Tier IV Interm Trubo_pre 2013.pdf
    408.9 KB · Views: 46
   / HST Plus DS Hi/Lo hiccup
When was the last time you did a full hydraulic fluid change? I find my HST more responsive with less HI/LOW hunting/hesitation in 3rd gear. I haven't noticed the hesitation in 1st or 2nd.

Well, that's interesting. How did you know? I am probably due for a full hydraulic fluid and filter change. It has about 400 to 500 hours on the last one. I don't use the fluid hard and rarely use over half throttle unless I'm roading it. The fluid is perfectly clear and tests well on blotter paper. I'm considering just swapping in a few quarts of new SUDT to offset any additive depletion and perhaps changing the filter.

Up until that single isolated instance I had never noticed any Hi/Lo hunting in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd range. But then I don't use HST+ Autoshift, just the manual trigger on the steering column. It's always been instantaneous until the hiccup.
rScotty

/ HST Plus DS Hi/Lo hiccup #15  
Well that's fine. Hopefully it won't be the last time. It's already not the first or only...
One never knows do they? I probably should have said, not continuous black smoke, only time mine blow off visible particulates (smoke) is when throttling up or assuming a load (like spooling up my disc bine). When running, they just give off heat from the stacks, no visible smoke at all.

Continuous black smoke is an indicator of over fueling or a clogged air filter or some other issue that needs addressed.

If course the post 4 units 'digest' that smoke in the SCR units or the DEF units in the case of larger displacement units which at some point need cleaned or renewed. The smoke is still there, you just don't see it... :p

/ HST Plus DS Hi/Lo hiccup #16  
The Kubota version is pretty complex & was only used for a few years. I don't know if Kubota's EGR engines had anything to do with emissions regulations, but adding an EGR to their popular & proven old direct injection 03-M series engines just happened to fit a loophole called the "Interim" Tier 4 Emission Regulations.
Interesting comment. According to my shop manuals, both of my M9's are 'Interem Tier 4' engines but neither have any sort of EGR on them. The only device they have on them is the wastegate or what I refer to as the 'puff limiter' which is similar to what Mack used on their diesel engines to mitigate the 'puff of black smoke when throttling up the engines. The ones I have are a spring loaded affair that I've never fooled with. No need to. Well depicted in the workshop manuals. Both of mine are the 3 valve engines as well.

/ HST Plus DS Hi/Lo hiccup #17  
I agree the retarded valve timing causes some smoke and also greatly contributes to the smokey cold starts. The same engine prior to interim tier 4 had the timing advanced quite a bit more. It’s on my to do list to adjust but haven’t found the time yet.