HST vs. Shuttle Shift?

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #11  
Pretty much what US American said, I run a L5030 with HST and M8540 with Hydraulic Shuttle Shift/Power Reverser. Loader work can be done easily with both, but the HST is easier especially for new users.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #12  
For a wide variety of loader tasks HST is easier and more efficient. Especially for finer operations like grading, cleaning out small areas etc. In cases where you are actually using the loader just as a loader, like loading trucks or spreaders, that is where the hydraulic shuttle shift (or power reverser) shines. Just pick a gear, set the minimum rpm you want with the hand throttle, then just throw the lever back and forth all day long. You can also vary your speed with the foot throttle. While an HST achieves the same function, IMO the hyd. shuttle is a little less tiring when loading all day long. With that said, for compact tractors I'd opt for HST, for utility and ag tractors over 40pto hp I'd go with hydraulic shuttle.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift?
Is there a reliability difference b/w the two? I envision mostly doing grading, moving gravel/debris/etc from one place to another, and bushhogging range trails and underbrush around trees. The land is mostly level - don't anticipate much mowing since I already have a ZTR for that.

My HP range Im looking at is 40-50 hp.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #14  
Is there a reliability difference b/w the two? I envision mostly doing grading, moving gravel/debris/etc from one place to another, and bushhogging range trails and underbrush around trees. The land is mostly level - don't anticipate much mowing since I already have a ZTR for that.

Before (& after) buying my HST I read a lot about them, & while some tractor owners seem skeptical about a seemingly more complicated machine, I haven't read anything about HST's actually being less reliable.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #15  

My HP range I'm looking at is 40-50 hp.

There may be long term, but you won't wear an HST out in your lifetime.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #16  
Never knew diddly aabout HST when I got my NH1520. But I will say I will never own a tractor w/o HST. Makes dummies like me look good:D:D

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #17  
There may be long term, but you won't wear an HST out in your lifetime.

Reminds me of what Adam Smith said in a different context "In the long run, we are all dead"

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #18  
Keep in mind that some shuttle shift tractors do require the use of the clutch do change directions.

If you are going to do mostly loader work, especially if that work entails multiple direction changes while doing the work, you may need to use the clutch quite a bit. Not only does this get tiring on the leg/foot, it also can lead to premature clutch damage and be a bit costly to fix.

The clutch situation is one of the reasons HST is so popular for loader work.

Though it is true that some tractors incorporate the clutch in with the shuttle lever, many do not. Make sure if you go shuttle, you know exactly what you are getting and how it works. If it needs the actual clutch pedal to be used, do NOT ride that pedal with your foot.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #19  

If you do a lot of tasks which require fine control, slow and fast speeds, direction changes, and the ability to concentrate completely on the task and not the tractor's operation, then HST is the best choice. Some HST tractors in the 45-55 hp range do not even have a clutch. There's no need for a clutch since you can slow to creep speed, stop, go in the opposite direction with the HST pedal(s). Some HST tractors maintain a clutch just for PTO operation, but many have PTOs that are engaged completely independent of the drivetrain.

In my experience/observation, I find many people with gear driven tractors experience clutch problems because they end up riding the clutch to slow the tractor and do fine work. Shuttle shifting changes direction, but does nothing for you if you need to slow to a creep and then accelerate without changing gears. That's what HST does with ease, but many gear tractor operators (especially those who are new to tractors) will burn out clutches because they slip the clutch to achieve varying speeds. In full-size TLBs used for construction, clutches have been replaced with torque converters, but I don't know of anything similar in the utility sized tractors.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #20  
Qapla said:
Keep in mind that some shuttle shift tractors do require the use of the clutch do change directions.

If you are going to do mostly loader work, especially if that work entails multiple direction changes while doing the work, you may need to use the clutch quite a bit. Not only does this get tiring on the leg/foot, it also can lead to premature clutch damage and be a bit costly to fix.

The clutch situation is one of the reasons HST is so popular for loader work.

Though it is true that some tractors incorporate the clutch in with the shuttle lever, many do not. Make sure if you go shuttle, you know exactly what you are getting and how it works. If it needs the actual clutch pedal to be used, do NOT ride that pedal with your foot.

Sync shuttle requires a clutch, Powershuttle does not. All excellent points, and I agree, make sure it is Powershuttle, life will be so much easier.