HST vs. Shuttle Shift?

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #31  
Hmmm, I have now been told that HSTs are not good in hilly areas, as the power bleed-off from the engine is too great to run attachments (such as a bushhog or other PTO-driven device). Is this an issue? If so, how much "hill" is too much?

From all the specs I've looked at from various tractor manufacturers, it seems pretty universal in compact utility tractors that HST transmissions require 1.5 extra HP, so for example a geared tractor with a 40 HP engine might have 33 PTO HP, whereas its HST cousin would have 31.5 PTO HP ... not a huge difference.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #32  
Hmmm, I have now been told that HSTs are not good in hilly areas, as the power bleed-off from the engine is too great to run attachments (such as a bushhog or other PTO-driven device). Is this an issue? If so, how much "hill" is too much?

Well someone isn't telling you the truth, I run my L5030 HSTC on steep hills all the time with a Land Pride RCR2672; no problems.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #33  
I have both ( actually have had all 4 - 8x4, 12x12 Shuttle, Power Shuttle, HST) and they go in that order. Currently I have a Deere 2720 - HST, 3320 PWR, and an NH TN75D 16x16 Power Shuttle.

Going from the HST to the others turns out to be a pain in the butt. It makes you realize how nice the HST really is. It is so simple and easy to use. It is fantastic for loader work and getting close to vehicles to unload with pallet forks. Getting on the 3320 from the 2720 there are two many levers and choices to set before taking off. When it's time the 3320 will get replaced with an HST tractor.

Another place HST would shine is cutting hay in smaller fields. You can keep the RPMs at cutter speed and slow down perfectly for corners.

I have used HST tractors for all kinds of mowing and tilling and it is not an issue to work a ground implement on an HST tractor as long as the tractor/ implement size is correct.

For most applications on smaller farms the HST is king. Besides, it makes it easier to put someone else on the tractor to work. It's easy to teach someone to drive an HST tractor.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #34  

I operate my HST tractor on some hills that are hard to walk on they are so steep. I operated a gear tractor (B7500DT) for 8 years and have had the HST tractor for a little over a year, the HST rules hands down. much safer to operate, much easier to concentrate on the rotary cutter. I sit turned sideways and looking over my right shoulder and back down the extreme slopes, with my right foot on top of the treadle pedal, and go up and down the slope , ready to move instantly in the opposite direction if I hit rocks. Also keep right hand on the lift lever for same reason.. IMHO the benefits of the HST outweigh any small negatives like small loss of power or whiney noise etc. For loader work it cannot be beat by anything. For working up next to a building, or using forks. the precision control is superb.. no question get the hydro.

James K0UA

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #35  
Is there a reliability difference b/w the two? I envision mostly doing grading, moving gravel/debris/etc from one place to another, and bushhogging range trails and underbrush around trees. The land is mostly level - don't anticipate much mowing since I already have a ZTR for that.

My HP range Im looking at is 40-50 hp.

HST is best for your applications as stated in several different ways above. In addition, I've had numerous tractors over the past 50 yrs, HST and gear/shuttle, and there is no question in my mind HST would be best for you. Don't get me wrong gear/shuttle has it's place too.

As far as reliability, I've had more trouble with gear and shuttle transmissions than HST.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift?
Great responses, thanks much for the input - you have put my concerns to rest. As I may have mentioned my land is mostly wooded (and will remain so) so Im looking at mostly loader work, bushhogging in close quarters, and grading some range trails that bend pretty tightly around the trees.

Looks like I need to hold out for the HST :)

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #38  
I tried a Kioti DS with hyd. shuttle. I made it grind a few times when changing directions. Did not care for it.
I then saw a 45 hp cub cadet with shuttle and comented on my experiance. The dealer said that he prefered hst. but this shuttle wont grind. He moved the tractor back and forth without clutching,in different gears at different speeds and it just keept changing directions as slick as can be. It would even spin the tires while doing it. (wet sealed tar). I ended up buying a Mahindra 4035 hst. but I think that type of shuttle, whatever it was, would be nice as well.
Dan.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #39  
A shuttle like JD's PwrReverser does not grind and direction changes are smooth. Hst does not rob pto HP but it does steal drawbar HP compared to gears. Hst would be best choice based on what the op described.

/ HST vs. Shuttle Shift? #40  
A shuttle like JD's PwrReverser does not grind and direction changes are smooth. Hst does not rob pto HP but it does steal drawbar HP compared to gears. Hst would be best choice based on what the op described.

I don't think that's correct, as I stated in post #31 above. HST's seem to "rob", or utilize, about 1.5 HP more of the engine's HP than non-HST machines.

The exact same tractor as my HST in non-HST format has 1.5 more PTO HP than mine, & I've encountered that same 1.5 HP difference many times.