HVAC SEER2?

/ HVAC SEER2? #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
Our HVAC system a packaged heat pump from 2003 (4 ton) and is possibly SEER 12 has a coil leak and the coil is no longer made.

There’s a $2000 federal tax credit and the power company has a $400 rebate.

Our HVAC guy gave us two quotes. 1. Is another packaged heat pump that is SEER2 16, but doesn’t qualify for any of the tax credits or the rebate for $12.195.00. It has a two speed compressor and a variable speed blower.

2. Is a split system that’s SEER2 18 and qua for all credits and rebates for $17.695.00 which also includes replacing all our craw space duct work. It is an inverter drive compressor and a variable speed blower. The duct work is about $2500 or more, so the system is really $15195.

Being in South Carolina AC season is the big driver of our electrical bill. We average 1300 to 1400 kWh per month for most of the year, but June, July, August and September we add another 1200 to 1300 kWh to our usage.

Our electricity is about $0.13 per kWh.

This is a calculator and it seem to say it would take about 10 years to make up the cost what do you people think?

With fixing the duct and replacing the system with the SEER2 18 seems to make sense. We’re sixty and will likely be here for at least ten years likely longer.

Attachments

• 99C8BA91-1B03-40BD-805B-63973E6141C3.png
    99C8BA91-1B03-40BD-805B-63973E6141C3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
   / HVAC SEER2? #2  
I think that you have done your homework and that you will be happier with the more expensive option as it gets you variable speed compressor, which means quieter, as well as more efficient.

All the best,

Peter

/ HVAC SEER2?
I think that you have done your homework and that you will be happier with the more expensive option as it gets you variable speed compressor, which means quieter, as well as more efficient.

All the best,

Peter
Petee, that’s what I think.

I won how much the ductwork upgrades will affect the efficiency?

The quietness of the split system is something we’d really like along with the benefit of consistently lower humidity.

Does anyone have their results of a similar switch in HVAC system.

/ HVAC SEER2? #4  
Quietness of a duct system has a lot to do with how well the ducts are sized and installed so there is little resistance to air flow. Gentle transitions ...not abrupt. A good sized return vent. Putting the air handler a few feet away from the living space.

In terms of the outdoor unit being loud, you can compare the db ratings of units. If your old unit still runs, I think there is a db app for your phone but I can't speak for its accuracy.

I installed a cheap mini split in 2020. It's so quiet that I have to go look at the fan in the outdoor unit to see if it's running. My electric bill went down considerably.

/ HVAC SEER2?
Quietness of a duct system has a lot to do with how well the ducts are sized and installed so there is little resistance to air flow. Gentle transitions ...not abrupt. A good sized return vent. Putting the air handler a few feet away from the living space.

In terms of the outdoor unit being loud, you can compare the db ratings of units. If your old unit still runs, I think there is a db app for your phone but I can't speak for its accuracy.

I installed a cheap mini split in 2020. It's so quiet that I have to go look at the fan in the outdoor unit to see if it's running. My electric bill went down considerably.
Thanks

Our ductwork is not noisy just the un itself.

/ HVAC SEER2? #7  
I would opt for the inverter and new/better insulated ductwork - and also factor in or consider electric rate increases over time which is inevitable.

Here in NH they went from 22 to .34 a KWH last year due to fuel costs.

/ HVAC SEER2? #8  
IS the $17,695 before or after rebates?

/ HVAC SEER2? #10  
If the ducts are metal and otherwise in good shape, why not tape the seams and install new insulation?