HVAC SEER2?

/ HVAC SEER2? #11  
The electric savings between 16 and 18 SEER is small, typically about $60/year. This varies based on electric cost and your heating and cooling degree days. The amount I gave is for our climate in NE PA. So depending on your age, how long you might keep the house and other issues it can take many years to recoup the price difference. Put the difference in the bank and you will make more money. As both systems have compressor control (2 vs variable) and variable speed blowers the lower cost unit makes sense.

paul

/ HVAC SEER2?
IS the $17,695 before or after rebates?
I was assuming it was, but you know how that goes.

I verified that they are credited directly to me and applied to our electric bill, after I pay the $17695, so it drops the $$ down to $15195. 😎

Last edited:
   / HVAC SEER2? #13  
If the ducts are metal and otherwise in good shape, why not tape the seams and install new insulation?

Would the new ducts be larger, or have more outlets? A lot of houses including mine have insufficient duct systems. We added a return and some ducts and it improved the comfort in the house. It probably improved the efficiency of the system too but since the A/C and heater and fan all got changed at once its hard to tell.

I wish I'd added an inverter A/C when we did that. It'd be more comfortable than the single speed compressor and two speed blower we had put in. We've stated in a couple places heated and cooled by mini splits and they're awesome. A central system that works on the same principals would be great.

/ HVAC SEER2? #14  
The seams aren’t sealed and the insulation is in really bad shape.
Getting the ducts properly sealed (not with duck/duct tape! It is illegal to use on ducts here because it degrades so quickly. Here you have to use mastic, or specialty foils.) and insulated will do a great deal toward getting the heat/cold where you need it when you need it.

If I could get ours done for that price, I would do it in a nanosecond!

All the best,

Peter

/ HVAC SEER2? #15  
Definitely go with the split system with the inverter compressor and variable speed blower.
SEER ratings are calculated at full load for a given time. Your system wont run at full capacity probably 95+% of the time, provided that the system is sized correctly

/ HVAC SEER2? #16  
Getting the ducts properly sealed (not with duck/duct tape! It is illegal to use on ducts here because it degrades so quickly. Here you have to use mastic, or specialty foils.) and insulated will do a great deal toward getting the heat/cold where you need it when you need it.

If I could get ours done for that price, I would do it in a nanosecond!

All the best,

Peter
I forgot. Aluminum foil tape.

But why is the installer suggesting new ductwork?

/ HVAC SEER2? #17  
As an industrial hvac tech I think they are taking you to the cleaners
Get a single speed 13 of 14 deer and be done with it. Seal the ducks yourself and call it a day

/ HVAC SEER2? #18  
Based on the provided data, the calculator suggests a payback period of around 10 years, indicating that the investment may be worthwhile in the long run, particularly given the expected energy savings and potential environmental benefits, especially for commercial electrical service. However, it's advisable to consult with HVAC professionals and consider all factors before making a final decision.

/ HVAC SEER2? #19  
What refrigerant are new units using?

I believe 410a is going away but I see lots of 410a installs.

Anyone have a preference between R32 or R454b?

Last edited:
   / HVAC SEER2? #20  
$12k plus to just replace a unit? God damn..and they said NY is expensive.