Hydraulic Auger Mount

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount
JohninCT,

Martian,
Thanks.:) Do you have a hyd. auger?:confused2: I got the idea from skid steer loaders having it right off of the quick attachment. But, on a tractor, off to the side gives you a good view of the ground contact point.
hugs, Brandi

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount #22  
No, just have a ~20 year old 3pt set up. Could dig the hole with a shovel faster but I guess it's better than being dead from the digging. It's set out in the fence line the last 8 years, so next time I need one I'll be getting something new, whether it be a hydraulic like yours or a newer 3pt is tbd. I really like that set up though:thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount
No, just have a ~20 year old 3pt set up. Could dig the hole with a shovel faster but I guess it's better than being dead from the digging. It's set out in the fence line the last 8 years, so next time I need one I'll be getting something new, whether it be a hydraulic like yours or a newer 3pt is tbd. I really like that set up though:thumbsup:

Martian,
I rented a 3PH auger with a dull cutting edge before.:mad: That and me having elbow surgery said to get the hydraulic auger. Just made sense...and no aches and pains.

Now with it ready for the FEL, I won't need to pull a bucket and thumb off before mounting it.;)
hugs, Brandi

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount #24  
Bindian,
I will be interested in how this works for you and it looks like a good setup.:thumbsup:

I built an adaptor for Curly Dave to use his hydraulic auger on his 110tlb but haven't been able to come up with a good yoke design. The adaptor that I built is almost a carbon copy of the Frontier adaptor but the yoke on Dave's planetary head requires different dimensions. Sure would like to resolve this.

Here are a couple of pics of the build I did. Notice the cradle leans back and away from the drive when it is hanging plumb. You can build or add this so that when you curl the bucket it cradles the auger.

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount #25  
But, on a tractor, off to the side gives you a good view of the ground contact point.
hugs, Brandi

I noticed that, on your first picture. You'll have a good view of exactly where the point is starting to dig.

The only problem I see with the side mount, and I'm not sure how valid the concern is, is that you might be able to twist the loader arms if the auger bites hard under a rock or tree root. The trouble with mounting it on the center line of the bucket is the hood obscuring your view of the auger.

I doubt it'll pull hard enough to twist the loader permanently unless you held the valve open and let it pull the end of the bucket down. One way to reduce the risk is to adjust the remote pressure relief to a low enough value that it will stall the auger before it can damage the loader. You could set it quite low to begin with and see how well it digs, if it's too lazy simply increase the pressure setting until it works well.

Nice job overall, it makes me wish I'd gone that way too. I found an older Kubota-branded 3 point auger instead. I have my fence built now, so most of my use will be simple repair and reboring existing holes.

Sean

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount #26  
I bought a Lowe's hydraulic auger at an auction. It came with skid-steer mount which we used with my brothers' machine. I only have a green tractor with FEL so I built an adapter to mount the auger on my FEL. As soon as I did this I began seeing everyone else going to the hydraulic post drivers. Now I am having buyer's remorse. The post drivers look so much better.:licking:

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount
Bindian,
I will be interested in how this works for you and it looks like a good setup.:thumbsup:

I built an adaptor for Curly Dave to use his hydraulic auger on his 110tlb but haven't been able to come up with a good yoke design. The adaptor that I built is almost a carbon copy of the Frontier adaptor but the yoke on Dave's planetary head requires different dimensions. Sure would like to resolve this.

Here are a couple of pics of the build I did. Notice the cradle leans back and away from the drive when it is hanging plumb. You can build or add this so that when you curl the bucket it cradles the auger.

Jenkinsph,
Can you post a photo with the auger on the cradle? I don't understand the design problem for the yoke?
hugs, Brandi

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount
I noticed that, on your first picture. You'll have a good view of exactly where the point is starting to dig.

The only problem I see with the side mount, and I'm not sure how valid the concern is, is that you might be able to twist the loader arms if the auger bites hard under a rock or tree root. The trouble with mounting it on the center line of the bucket is the hood obscuring your view of the auger.

I doubt it'll pull hard enough to twist the loader permanently unless you held the valve open and let it pull the end of the bucket down. One way to reduce the risk is to adjust the remote pressure relief to a low enough value that it will stall the auger before it can damage the loader. You could set it quite low to begin with and see how well it digs, if it's too lazy simply increase the pressure setting until it works well.

Nice job overall, it makes me wish I'd gone that way too. I found an older Kubota-branded 3 point auger instead. I have my fence built now, so most of my use will be simple repair and reboring existing holes.

Sean
I'll take my changes, since Danuser has a mount for sale for the side of the bucket.
Glenn Danuser did suggest to watch the paint on the mount for cracking or distortion.
hugs, Brandi

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount
I bought a Lowe's hydraulic auger at an auction. It came with skid-steer mount which we used with my brothers' machine. I only have a green tractor with FEL so I built an adapter to mount the auger on my FEL. As soon as I did this I began seeing everyone else going to the hydraulic post drivers. Now I am having buyer's remorse. The post drivers look so much better.:licking:
Crackerjack222,
Hydraulic post drivers are a kick in the pants. However, hyd. augers have more uses. What gpm flow is your Lowe's auger
hugs, Brandi

/ Hydraulic Auger Mount #30  
Jenkinsph,
Can you post a photo with the auger on the cradle? I don't understand the design problem for the yoke?
hugs, Brandi

About the yoke, guress I need to make one similar to yours, if you look at mine in the above pics it is about the same size top and bottom whereas your is much wider on the planetary end.