Hydraulic connector problems

/ Hydraulic connector problems #1  

tedmarx38

Tractor
Mahindra emax
I’ve read many helpful posts about the difficulty with these but I’m still stuck. Each year when I put my snow blade on it’s a battle to get them secured. Pic is the type I have.

Today I think I found a bigger issue but would appreciate feedback. Went through all the steps to relieve pressure on the attachment as well as the joystick. Still no go. Not a single one. Depressed the nipple on both the male and female connectors and they go in just fine.

At this point I would have paid someone to haul the entire thing away as I didn’t care if I ruined it. So, I took the female connector off the joystick assembly and tried to get the male (implement side) to connect. Couldn’t do it. I was about to take the male connector off but it got too late.

This setup was put together by a certified mahindra dealer so I assume they didn’t get the parts mismatched.

Could there still be pressure in the hoses on the implement side? I doubt it because a just a bit of fluid comes out when I press the nipple in.

It’s not a lubrication issue. They’re slick. The ball bearings or bb’s go in just fine on the female side so I know they aren’t getting in the way.

Any tips?

Attachments

• AF4E6432-44E5-4172-9F4F-4E8736F07C5F.jpeg
    AF4E6432-44E5-4172-9F4F-4E8736F07C5F.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 68
   / Hydraulic connector problems #2  
If you can press the nipple of the male connector in on both lines (a little oil should escape), that accessory is ready for connection. Make sure, as you've mentioned, that you relieve the tractor side of the hydraulic circuit too. Make sure that the engine is not running when you do this, and then connect the implement before you start the engine - no point in depressurizing the tractor hydraulic circuit to then start the engine, and pressurize it again before you connect the implement.

It is only the two nipples in the male and female hydraulic connectors which will prevent their coupling (other than their being ice frozen, which happened to me last week). Otherwise, suspect a defective coupler - though rare I think.

I have had a implement charged hydraulic circuit (oil expanded in the heat, and locked itself in). I put a hearty rag completely around the end of each male coupler, and hit the end squarely with a hammer to depress the nipple. There'll be a squirt of oil (which should soak safely into the rag), and the couple should then work properly.

It's handy to have a new, and unused male connector to check the coupling of the female connectors, if in doubt. Do not couple an unconnected coupler to a hydraulic circuit (the female coupler) with the engine running - oil injury risk!

/ Hydraulic connector problems
Appreciate it. Is it possible that the nipple goes in further than I’ve been depressing it? I was using the end of a screwdriver but maybe I need to try something like a skewer.

Reading all these difficulties tempts me to take the couplers off on both sides, couple them and then bolt them back on. Seems like an obvious solution but I haven’t heard it mentioned before, so maybe there’s a risk of air getting in or something else.

I’ll check back later. I need to apologize to my neighbors and the Lord first.

/ Hydraulic connector problems #4  
The nipple, be it a ball or a pin type projecting from the male coupler must push far enough in that it is flush with the male coupler end. Similarly, the female will have a ball or pin down inside, which also goes flush with the bottom of the hole. When the couplers are connected as designed, the end of the male coupler butts up to the bottom of the hole in the female connector, and the two nipples push each other just enough to be flush to the end and bottom of their respective connectors. If you can move the nipple in at all, it's probably fine and free to move. If they are hydraulically locked, they are totally hard out, and won't budge, until the hydraulic pressure against the back side of the nipple is removed.

Explain to your neighbours that your tractor has one specific hydraulic line which is specifically designated as the "swearing line" and when you're holding onto it, you're allowed to use any word you want out loud. Apologies for parking the tractor where they could hear....

/ Hydraulic connector problems #5  
Hooking up hydraulic lines sometimes can be like hooking up a trailer - you can either do it in one shot, or it can take three hours (slight exaggeration....).

when I put the snowblower on my skidsteer, I ready myself for a big fight when it's time to connect the hoses. I put gloves on to get a good grip (and not skin my hands), take a few deep breaths, then go for it. Sometimes it clicks right in; sometimes it's a fight.

what might help you is to loosen the line at the cylinder just a bit. Some fluid will dribble out, but that will at least eliminate any pressure. Just don't forget to tighten it back up.

Haha great. Thanks and I’ll update tomorrow.

/ Hydraulic connector problems #7  
Also, make sure one part isnt frozen….i come upon frozen connectors every winter. Have to use heat gun

/ Hydraulic connector problems #8  
Check this thread out you may find some useful info. I had trouble with female connectors and ended up making a little valve to relieve the pressure. There are some other good ideas.

Appreciate it. Will read through it.

Check this thread out you may find some useful info. I had trouble with female connectors and ended up making a little valve to relieve the pressure. There are some other good ideas.
I just don’t understand why they still won’t connect even though I’ve pressed the dimple in on both sides until a bit of goop comes out. Could it be re pressurizing instantly?