Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade???

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade???
Just to be clear to anyone still reading this thread... I did NOT know what I was doing when I took this cylinder apart. It's the first time I've ever seen the inside of a hydraulic cylinder.

I learned a lot from it, and if I was to do it over again, what I would have done was open the cylinder up, inspected it, and found the metal shaving holding the ball valve open (which I believe was preventing me from bleeding air out of the cylinder) and removed the metal shaving. I would unscrew the set screws for both ball valves (counting the number of turns it took) then applied some loctite and screwed them back in, adding one or two extra turns to increase the spring pressure slightly.

That would have fixed my problem.

Plugging the holes solid with JB Weld (which was my own idea based off the effects of alcohol convincing me it was the right thing to do) is not what fixed the cylinder. I also do not think anything bad will come of it such as the JB Weld coming loose. The only bad thing that I can see I could have caused is exactly what Jenkins posted about possible damage to the linkage or cylinder if I mistakenly miss to engage the locking latch when lowering the cylinders.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #102  
PIston, lots of us learned something from this thread about your cylinder rebuild. I know I did. Just wish we had known more before the repairs were made. You did ask about this but did not get the information you needed at the outset of the repair. Some things you learn by doing and in this case nothing has caused a large expense to you so it has been a cheap education.

I know after participating in this thread that a common double acting cylinder is not a good retrofit. If I have problems with my cylinder, this thread will have provided me with a much better understanding of how to fix it.

About the JB Weld, it seems that the information provided shows it will melt or breakdown at a low temperature (about 700 degrees F) so a propane or Mapp gas torch should help remove it from your piston without damage. A small round steel brush should clean the bore and threads up nicely.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #103  
Lol! Sure, blame the alcohol! :drink: This thread was good for me too. I am afraid at the expense of LD1's blood pressure. :laughing:

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #104  
It was the first time I saw a cylinder with internal bypass valve. It was good for me. :)

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #105  
I dont know much about LD1, except what he writes on this site. He could be someone that just reposts what he has read elsewhere, or he could have a Phd in hydraulic engineering. that much I dont know. What I believe is, I think he wants to help others and one way to do that is to dis-spell the myth about cyl drift and possible causes. Every time someone post a question about a loader leaking down, it is almost always met with the answer of bad seals in the cyl. All this does is cause the person asking the question, to spend money on a cyl rebuild that 99.999% of the time wont cure his problems. Not only has the op lost money but he has also lost valuable down time and additional money fixing what he should have fixed in the first place. Those that do know, telling those that dont know, dont always work if those that dont know wont listen to those that do know.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #106  
It's my opinion that he does know what he's talking about and I appreciate him sharing his knowledge even when it is frustrating. :thumbsup:

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #107  
   / Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #108  
I dont know much about LD1, except what he writes on this site. He could be someone that just reposts what he has read elsewhere, or he could have a Phd in hydraulic engineering. that much I dont know. What I believe is, I think he wants to help others and one way to do that is to dis-spell the myth about cyl drift and possible causes. Every time someone post a question about a loader leaking down, it is almost always met with the answer of bad seals in the cyl. All this does is cause the person asking the question, to spend money on a cyl rebuild that 99.999% of the time wont cure his problems. Not only has the op lost money but he has also lost valuable down time and additional money fixing what he should have fixed in the first place. Those that do know, telling those that dont know, dont always work if those that dont know wont listen to those that do know.

Spot on. All I am trying to do is debunk the common myth that keeps getting spread like gospel. And at times, it gets frustrating when something so basic (to me and many others), and something known to be fact; want to be argued and debated about til everyone is blue in the face. Its like trying to argue with someone that the world is round when they are convinced its flat and refuse to listen to reason. There is no polite way to say "you're and idiot".

I have no hydraulic PHD. But certainly aint reposting what I read. I post from knowledge and experience. I work with industrial hydraulics everyday, among other things. So when it comes to cylinders, valves, pumps, sizing, cooling, etc. I do know a thing or two about hydraulics. Not so much when it comes to motors....because lets face it....not much use for hydraulic motors in an industrial application. Electric / gearbox is far more efficient. Hydraulic motors is more for a mobile application.

But thats the thing, not many of us know much about each others backgrounds. And even if one claims "I am this", or "I have a degree/certification in that".....its not like anyone gets vetted. ITs the internet, and people try to be whatever they want to boost their own ego online. I have mechanical engineering schooling. But didnt choose that for a profession for two reasons. I am more of a hands on guy, and the pay wasnt great. Which lead me to my current career. I am a true multi-craft guy. That makes me a qualified electrician who is pretty good with PLC's, a machinist, a welder, a designer/fabricator, a plumber, a mechanic, a rigger, etc etc. Whatever is needed of me at the time. I dont try to be something I am not online. And while there is no way for any of you to vet my experience to know if I am telling the truth or just being full or *****.....I think those that have read my posts, and seen some of the stuff I have done, will know that what I am saying is true.

It's my opinion that he does know what he's talking about and I appreciate him sharing his knowledge even when it is frustrating. :thumbsup:

Thank you. I would rather get frustrated helping someone to learn something, if that is indeed the end result....... than give up and having them think the wrong thing to be to be where the truth lies.

Even though we may have butted heads a bit in this thread and the other (you certainly dont make it any easier on me trying educate others on hydraulic principal)...I respect your opinions and contributions to the forum. And would consider you a friend any day of the week. Thank you.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #109  
If everyone is going to be pleasant I guess this is a good time to end this thread.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Leak Down on Box Blade??? #110  
Spot on. All I am trying to do is debunk the common myth that keeps getting spread like gospel. And at times, it gets frustrating when something so basic (to me and many others), and something known to be fact; want to be argued and debated about til everyone is blue in the face. Its like trying to argue with someone that the world is round when they are convinced its flat and refuse to listen to reason. There is no polite way to say "you're and idiot".

I have no hydraulic PHD. But certainly aint reposting what I read. I post from knowledge and experience. I work with industrial hydraulics everyday, among other things. So when it comes to cylinders, valves, pumps, sizing, cooling, etc. I do know a thing or two about hydraulics. Not so much when it comes to motors....because lets face it....not much use for hydraulic motors in an industrial application. Electric / gearbox is far more efficient. Hydraulic motors is more for a mobile application.

But thats the thing, not many of us know much about each others backgrounds. And even if one claims "I am this", or "I have a degree/certification in that".....its not like anyone gets vetted. ITs the internet, and people try to be whatever they want to boost their own ego online. I have mechanical engineering schooling. But didnt choose that for a profession for two reasons. I am more of a hands on guy, and the pay wasnt great. Which lead me to my current career. I am a true multi-craft guy. That makes me a qualified electrician who is pretty good with PLC's, a machinist, a welder, a designer/fabricator, a plumber, a mechanic, a rigger, etc etc. Whatever is needed of me at the time. I dont try to be something I am not online. And while there is no way for any of you to vet my experience to know if I am telling the truth or just being full or *****.....I think those that have read my posts, and seen some of the stuff I have done, will know that what I am saying is true.

Thank you. I would rather get frustrated helping someone to learn something, if that is indeed the end result....... than give up and having them think the wrong thing to be to be where the truth lies.

Even though we may have butted heads a bit in this thread and the other (you certainly dont make it any easier on me trying educate others on hydraulic principal)...I respect your opinions and contributions to the forum. And would consider you a friend any day of the week. Thank you.

And I you. We just gotta work on your bedside manner..... :D