Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions #1  

lincmercguy

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5105, JD 5055E
I'm rebuilding the lift cylinders on my JD 521 loader mounted to a 5105 (2001 model). The parts book shows many more seals than are actually on the cylinder, so the parts kits include several different extra seals, which is expected. However, I'm not finding replacements for two of the seals in the kit.

20240128_124701.jpg

On the rod guide inner seals, there isn't one to match the seal towards the piston nut (towards the cylinder). The original seal is on the bottom of this picture, and the other seals are what are remaining. It's a 40x48x6 seal according to the number on it. The bottom seal on the right is the same style, but slightly larger, so it won't fit.

There's a drawing with the parts kit that has a section on older style ag loaders that says to omit this seal as kit doesn't include it. I don't believe it will stay sealed if I don't install one.

20240128_163653.jpg

On the rod guide outer seals, there is an o-ring that doesn't seem to have a replacement (black ring on the left). The clear ring is pretty close, but slightly larger in size and diameter. The two seals on the right were in the kit, but smaller diameter.

20240128_165317.jpg

The parts book isn't a lot of help on this one.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions #2  
Did you get a 17 and 19 kit? When I fixed my curl cylinders for a different model loader it had all the seals, o-rings, backers, and wear guides in the kit.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions
   / Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions #4  
I ended up taking both seal kits and the cylinder in to a hydraulic shop on my 541 loader and they told me it wasn't complete and they charged me for a seal off the shelf. Sounds like your related 521 has a similar issue

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions #5  
I think most people would do well, and taking their cylinders to a shop, rather than trying to do it themselves.
Shop guys have a lot of experience with it and if you’re shop is a good shop you’re going to get a much better job than trying to do it on your own bench

I ended up taking both seal kits and the cylinder in to a hydraulic shop on my 541 loader and they told me it wasn't complete and they charged me for a seal off the shelf. Sounds like your related 521 has a similar issue

That's probably what it is. There are some differences between the two, but the seal kits are the same P/N.

Dealer wasn't a ton of help. They're going to order the #24 kit to see if it has what's needed. I'll see how it turns out.

Usually, JD is pretty good about these things, so it's a bit annoying.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions #8  
The hydraulic shops don’t really order parts kits. They just measure and match the seals on your cylinders. They usually stock about any sizes needed.

The hydraulic shops don’t really order parts kits. They just measure and match the seals on your cylinders. They usually stock about any sizes needed.
That's what I would expect. I'm not sure if there's one in town. It's smaller, but a lot of agriculture in the area.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions #10  
That's what I would expect. I'm not sure if there's one in town. It's smaller, but a lot of agriculture in the area.
In the rural communities there is usually a hydraulic shop in any ag or construction area. The one we use doesn't advertise and doesn't have an office or staff. All the industrial and mechanical shops know where they are, and that is who they mostly serve.
rScotty