Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions
Doing some research, the outer o-ring is correct, so I'm good there. Now to wait for the buffer seal to arrive and see if it fits.

Well, the kit with #24 in the drawing had the right seal. Notice there are three parts in there and only two with part numbers.

Now to get it all together and see if it all works.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions #13  
I haven't had to rebuild any cylinders on my 5065E, but I have had to rebuild them on my NH Backhoe and Case Dozer. I did them myself at first, but for whatever reason, they didn't seem to last very long. I'm sure I kinked one, or twisted it trying to get it all back together again.

My NH Parts Guy told me that they send all their cylinders to a rebuild shop that was just up the road from there. NH is really wacky on their parts kits. They also updated the piston on a lot of their cylinders, so you have to buy a new piston for $100 to $150 and the parts kit for that piston, and probably a dozen other pistons for another $100 to $150. After spending almost $300 for all of that stuff, and only using a small part of the kit, I still had to do all the work.

The rebuild shop just orders the exact parts that it needs to do your cylinder. It's usually less then $10 in parts, and labor can run anywhere from $80 to $120. I've never had to wait more then three days for them to call me and tell me that it's done. So far, they have been perfect. I've never had to rebuild one a second time since paying them to do it. I'm sure I'll wear them out and need another rebuild, but that happens with a lot of use. I use my backhoe more then my other tractors combined!!!

If the kit you bought for your cylinder is missing parts, could it be that you also have to buy a new piston to upgrade your cylinder? It could be that Deere is as wacky as NH with doing all they can to make a buck off of their parts departments!!!

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions #14  
I haven't had to rebuild any cylinders on my 5065E, but I have had to rebuild them on my NH Backhoe and Case Dozer. I did them myself at first, but for whatever reason, they didn't seem to last very long. I'm sure I kinked one, or twisted it trying to get it all back together again.

My NH Parts Guy told me that they send all their cylinders to a rebuild shop that was just up the road from there. NH is really wacky on their parts kits. They also updated the piston on a lot of their cylinders, so you have to buy a new piston for $100 to $150 and the parts kit for that piston, and probably a dozen other pistons for another $100 to $150. After spending almost $300 for all of that stuff, and only using a small part of the kit, I still had to do all the work.

The rebuild shop just orders the exact parts that it needs to do your cylinder. It's usually less then $10 in parts, and labor can run anywhere from $80 to $120. I've never had to wait more then three days for them to call me and tell me that it's done. So far, they have been perfect. I've never had to rebuild one a second time since paying them to do it. I'm sure I'll wear them out and need another rebuild, but that happens with a lot of use. I use my backhoe more then my other tractors combined!!!

If the kit you bought for your cylinder is missing parts, could it be that you also have to buy a new piston to upgrade your cylinder? It could be that Deere is as wacky as NH with doing all they can to make a buck off of their parts departments!!!
Absolutely agree after doing several: $100-200 in parts and it's invariably a PITA requiring several hours and even more if you do the polishing job too. If you live within driving distance of a decent hydraulic shop it's totally worth it IMO. My shop even spray paints the outside and provides me with the oddball size line o-rings -all for about $200 up to about a 2.5" cylinder. How much is your time and aggravation worth?

Got the first cylinder back together last night. No issues running the loader and no drips from the seals overnight. I'll run it outside for a while today to get the hydraulic fluid nice and warm and run it just to make sure everything is good. I'll tackle the second if everything goes right with the first.

So far, so good.

Attachments

• 20240206_184749.jpg
    20240206_184749.jpg
    504 KB · Views: 24
I got the other cylinder fixed a couple of weeks ago. It was much faster since I knew a little more of what I was doing. So far, they seem good.

/ Hydraulic Cylinder Seals Questions #18  
In the rural communities there is usually a hydraulic shop in any ag or construction area. The one we use doesn't advertise and doesn't have an office or staff. All the industrial and mechanical shops know where they are, and that is who they mostly serve.
rScotty
You are correct about local hydraulic shops are not well advertised. My local cylinder repair place is actually part of a welding shop.