Hydraulic delay circuit

/ Hydraulic delay circuit
I think I've found my answer but..... Came across a valve commonly used in log splitters. Single spool, Holding the handle in the stroke position it will kick out at stroke end. On return the valve is place in the retract (detent) position and at the end would release to neutral position. So my thoughts are this on table full the lever would trip the valve to stroke position. Table would lift and at stroke extension valve would release. As the last bale left the table trip arm would return and trip the valve to retract. At table home position detent would trip the valve to neutral. Of course I've got the mechanics of valve to be released so as not to hold it in any one position. So far this is the closest I've come with everyone's help to solving this. Thoughts?
Thanks.

/ Hydraulic delay circuit #32  
I think I've found my answer but..... Came across a valve commonly used in log splitters. Single spool, Holding the handle in the stroke position it will kick out at stroke end. On return the valve is place in the retract (detent) position and at the end would release to neutral position. So my thoughts are this on table full the lever would trip the valve to stroke position. Table would lift and at stroke extension valve would release. As the last bale left the table trip arm would return and trip the valve to retract. At table home position detent would trip the valve to neutral. Of course I've got the mechanics of valve to be released so as not to hold it in any one position. So far this is the closest I've come with everyone's help to solving this. Thoughts?
Thanks.
What would hold the valve lever to the extend position?

/ Hydraulic delay circuit #33  
RPW,
do you have a link or brand name and model of the valve you found. From what your describing it sounds like it might work.

I believe a hydraulically released detented valve like those used on larger ag tractors would also work. You would need linkage to trip to the valve to extend and then also require linkage to trip the valve to retract and end of retract stroke the hydraulic released detent would shift the valve back to the center position waiting for the next cycle. You would have to be able to set the detent release pressure to assure that it is set lower than the tractor hydraulics.

Linkage would be the hard part and this would be a simple mechanical device.

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic delay circuit #34  
My concern would be timing of the motions. A log splitter valve or a standard detent and return to center valve may react quicker than is desired. If the table returns early it may flip the bales up disturbing the stacks. Not saying these methods wont work but you would have limited control of the timing of events. The sweet spot for proper operation may wind up being a very narrow range of travel speed.

Today electrical power including 120 vac, 24vac and 12vdc for operating controls is easy to set up self contained in a battery box. It does not take much power or capacity to operate a couple of electric solenoids all day. A small L+G battery or car battery would handle this easily. A $25 12vdc to 120vac inverter, small transformer for low voltage ac and the 12vdc from the battery should supply all the electrical needs for setting this up. Less than $100 for everything.

The photo cells and a relay could signal when the table is occupied and when it is empty and this would be independent of your travel speed. Other options such as table elevation with limits, push bars for aligning bales could also be included at a nominal cost. I would suggest using both mechanical and electrical controls which are optimal or best suited to get the results you need.

That could be an option. issue I have with solenoid valves is cost. Figuring in the valve, D03 plate, sensing (photo cell,etc.) costs go up pretty quickly. Again I'm not opposed to it I just have to justify everything. I've gone over the manuals on the commercial units and they are all mechanical. Thanks.

Originally I was thinking of using a DA cylinder for the tilt table. Would it be more practical to use a DA cylinder?