Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations??

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #1  

ritcheyvs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45S
I'm approaching the 400 hour service on my DK45S, which includes changing hydraulic fluid according to the service manual. My local Walmart has Shell Spirax S4TXM in stock and the local Tractor supply has their usual stuff. What do TBN folks think/recommend? Is one oil significantly better than another? Does the oil really need to be changed? The DK45S has wet brakes and a wet clutches for PTO and 4WD but the rest is just gears and bearings.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #2  
I'd suggest doing a search through this forum: Oil, Fuel & Lubricants

My dealer's mechanic suggested the generic stuff at Sam's Club...but mine doesn't carry it so I bought the Traveller Premium at TSC. Seems like the general consensus is that most UTFs out there works just fine. There are a few that don't do as well in the very cold like the cheaper stuff at TSC...I forget the name...as they are a bit thicker. Other than that, it is hard to go wrong.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #3  
I tried the Spirax S4TXM in my tractor at the 50hr service. I didn't really like how it worked in either the front axle or in the transmission. The fluid darkened up in the front axle sight glass and was fairly dark when I drained it from the transmission with only 70hrs on it. I switched out to Chevron THF 1000 which is what my dealer uses and recommends. Nothing miraculous happened after the change to the Chevron but I hope it comes out cleaner(meaning less wear) on the next change. If you read the specs between the two, the Chevron has a higher HTHS rating than the Spirax so perhaps the Spirax started to thin out too much with heavy box blade work I was doing?
I wouldn't put house brand THF in, unless you are really tight for money and don't plan on keeping the keeping the tractor forever. If Chevron could make their THF for half the price, they probably wouldn't charge twice as much as the house brands. I'm sure there are lots of tractors running fine with cheap THF but probably if you start looking at high high hour machines, more will have got there with good fluids, filters, and regular maintenance.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #4  
After seeing the crap and how dirty the fluid was that came out of mine at the 50hour mark, if yours was not changed I would. I used Mobile in mine but any goodgrade of fluid that meets the spec will work. Cheap clean fluid is better than dirty expensive stuff. CJ

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #5  
When i did my 50 hr serves i called a dealer because i was having a hard time finding what was in the manual. The dealer told me as long as it meets JD 303. So i went to case 15 gallons cost me 450.00

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #6  
When i did my 50 hr serves i called a dealer because i was having a hard time finding what was in the manual. The dealer told me as long as it meets JD 303. So i went to case 15 gallons cost me 450.00

WOW and I thought 250 was too much!!

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #7  
To me it's a peace of mind thing. My dealer has been around since before time began and says there is NO need to change the fluid unless it is color changed, contaminated etc. the Kioti expensive HST filters ought to remove any particals from the UTF as part of their job as a filter. Changing them when required is probably more important than swapping out 15 gallons of UTF.
It's just one opinion among many......

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #8  
Here is another way to look at this whole hydraulic fluid changing thing. One approach is to change it based on clock hours, another is to never change it (believe me it happens) and another way is to send a sample to Blackstone laboratories and for about 25 bucks they will send you a report and tell you if it needs to be changed. That is what the pros do. If you are looking at hundreds to change it, and you gan get more years out of it that is better for the environment and the pocket book. If you love changing things, go for it, but nothing beats data.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #9  
Here is another way to look at this whole hydraulic fluid changing thing. One approach is to change it based on clock hours, another is to never change it (believe me it happens) and another way is to send a sample to Blackstone laboratories and for about 25 bucks they will send you a report and tell you if it needs to be changed. That is what the pros do. If you are looking at hundreds to change it, and you gan get more years out of it that is better for the environment and the pocket book. If you love changing things, go for it, but nothing beats data.

Good solution to knowing what is in the oil and it's condition. Takes the worry out of what could otherwise be a waste of money, if the UTF fluid is 'clean'.
When I ran my foreign auto store we used to do this with oil from diesel Mercedes; a new owner of a used car might want to know general engine condition.
Serves as a baseline for future service frequency and wear over time too. Think I'll do it to mine, since I'm at the 400+ hr mark too.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #10  
I am not a full time farmer but my farm is my second job and income so I put quite a few hours on the tractors each year. I have an older massey with close to 3,000 hrs a 45 up kubota with over 1.500 hrs and 95hp kubota with a little over 300 hrs. I have changed fluids according to hr recommendations of the manufacture and use the TSC premium universal udt at about $40 per 5 gallon. I have never had a problem and plan on keeping my tractors a lifetime. The TSC fluid is certified for use by all major manufactures. In my opinion many people pay way to much for x brand of fluids. Change on manf. time intervals and you will be fine.