Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations??

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations??
I appreciate all the advice. I think I'll go with the Shell Spirax S4TXM. The decal on my tractor says to use Shell Donax TD and the service manual lists Donax TD as one of four recommended UTFs. Siprax S4TXM replaced Donax TD according to Shell, this may just be a name change as far as I can tell. Apparently Shell now calls many different kinds of lubricants Spirax xxxx, where xxxx is a cryptic string of characters, so the S4TXM is critical in defining the particular lubricant. The shell facts sheet:
http://www-static.shell.com/static/...pdf/lubricants/applications/Spirax S4 TXM.pdf
identifies several manufacturer's specs (like John Deere) that S4TXM satisfies. On the other hand, I can't find any similar data on the Tractor Supply Traveller Premium UTF (just general statements). The TSC product may be just fine but I decided against it because TSC provides so little data. I'm sure the Mobil product is great but I don't know a convenient local source.

By the way, I notice the UTF left a darker film on the lower part of the dipstick so I'm just going to change the UTF even if it might test OK. The selling dealer (bought second hand) said he did the 50 hour service but I can't be sure that included new UTF. Also, I note that the decal and an older owner's manual say to change the UTF at 300 hours but a newer owner's manual and the shop manual say to change at 400 hr intervals. In any case, I think it's time for new UTF.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #12  
I am not a full time farmer but my farm is my second job and income so I put quite a few hours on the tractors each year. I have an older massey with close to 3,000 hrs a 45 up kubota with over 1.500 hrs and 95hp kubota with a little over 300 hrs. I have changed fluids according to hr recommendations of the manufacture and use the TSC premium universal udt at about $40 per 5 gallon. I have never had a problem and plan on keeping my tractors a lifetime. The TSC fluid is certified for use by all major manufactures. In my opinion many people pay way to much for x brand of fluids. Change on manf. time intervals and you will be fine.
The tractor manufacturer specs listed on the pail are not granted or tested by the manufacturer. JD or Kubota or CAT doesn't test the oil for TSC or shell or chevron. You are relying on the hyd. oil manufacturer to test their oil to make sure it meets the specs they say it meets as there is no independent testing body. For motor oil you can buy the cheapest stuff you can find with the API seal on it, as the API keeps track of whose oil meets which spec and even do some spot checks taking oil off the store shelf and testing it themselves. The API has found that some budget brands don't meet the specs they list on the bottle
Probably the TSC premium is fine but I'd really stay away from suspiciously cheap mystery brands. Good base stock oil and additives cost pretty much the same for any oil blender so they are cutting corners somewhere to get a lower price.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #13  
many name brand oils are the same as the "generic" brands, the money spent on advertizing is what runs the cost up on name brand oils or any product for that matter.

many name brand oils are the same as the "generic" brands, the money spent on advertizing is what runs the cost up on name brand oils or any product for that matter.

This and IndyIan's comments may certainly be true but since TSC won't even tell what specs their oil meets or who made it, I think I'll go with a major brand that does (particularly considering that S4TXM is what Kioti spec'd). Others say Warren Oil makes the TSC stuff and some reviews even list specs TSC oil will meet, but that's not the same as TSC saying it, IMO. I don't care that much about the cost (although the Wally World price on Spirax isn't bad), $100 more or less for something that will last me 3-5 years is no factor.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #15  
TSC does give a long list of oils theirs is "Recommended to replace." I suppose one could read that differently from meeting certain specs. I'm guessing they sell a heck of a lot of that product so I'd imagine that if it sucked, we'd hear about it.

TSC does give a long list of oils theirs is "Recommended to replace." I suppose one could read that differently from meeting certain specs. I'm guessing they sell a heck of a lot of that product so I'd imagine that if it sucked, we'd hear about it.

I must be dense as I was unable to locate such a list. at least online.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #17  
I must be dense as I was unable to locate such a list. at least online.

From google search: tsc utf

under hypertext link "description"

Traveller® Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid is a specially formulated, premium multigrade (SAE 10W-20) fluid blended with the highest quality lubricating oils and the most technological advanced additive system. Provides superior protection and performance for modern farm equipment employing a common sump to lubricate hydrostatic transmissions, differentials, wet brakes, hydraulics and final drive gears.

Formulated with the latest available technology to offer:

Low temperature pumpability
Protection against brake chatter
Excellent thermal stability
Greater protection against gear wear
Recommended as a replacement fluid for models from AGCO, Case, Caterpillar, John Deere, International Harvester, Massey Ferguson, White, Yanmar and many more
Hydraulic Fluid
2 gal.
Guaranteed to meet performance requirements

Well, sure. I saw that. But what models? What specs?

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #19  
From google search: tsc utf

under hypertext link "description"

Traveller® Premium Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid is a specially formulated, premium multigrade (SAE 10W-20) fluid blended with the highest quality lubricating oils and the most technological advanced additive system. Provides superior protection and performance for modern farm equipment employing a common sump to lubricate hydrostatic transmissions, differentials, wet brakes, hydraulics and final drive gears.

Formulated with the latest available technology to offer:

Low temperature pumpability
Protection against brake chatter
Excellent thermal stability
Greater protection against gear wear
Recommended as a replacement fluid for models from AGCO, Case, Caterpillar, John Deere, International Harvester, Massey Ferguson, White, Yanmar and many more
Hydraulic Fluid
2 gal.
Guaranteed to meet performance requirements

Basically what they have written means nothing. They have told you the weight and that it may meet some specs for some equipment but they won't say which ones. Also a 10W20 hyd oil is only a 75W80 gear oil when you convert the weights... Most brand name THF's are 10W30 which is a little better when the temperatures and transmission loads climb.
The do sell alot of it and it can't be that terrible but I doubt there's anything "premium" about it. I doubt many fleet and construction equipment maintenance managers use it either.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #20  
Man, are you guys for real? These fluids aren't blood for a transfusion. You can spend your money any way you want, BUT if TSC utf isn't up to your high standards then don't use it. It says recommended as a replacement fluid for models FROM argo, case, cat, deere, etc. and many more.
Its clearly not weasel urine, and you agree it flies off the shelves at stores all across the nation, so logically if it was so bad people would be having problems with it and it wouldn't be sold as much as it is.
If I recall without looking it up, Kioti allows for 75-90W gear oil in front diff, OR utf.
And speculation about what fleet managers do says nothing but a wild ... guess.
Where is hard data showing where it has done damage of any kind to various tractors over a long time-frame? Now if you could show that I'd stay away from it like the plague.:2cents: