Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations??

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #21  
Its clearly not weasel urine, and tf isn't up to your high standards then don't use it. It says recommended as a replacement fluid for models FROM argo, case, cat, deere, etc. and many more.you agree it flies off the shelves at stores all across the nation,
:laughing:
I use TSC Travellers Premium. Why? Because my Kioti dealer uses it.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #22  
ritcheyvs said:
I must be dense as I was unable to locate such a list. at least online.

In addition to the online description, there is even a longer, more detailed list on the jug.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations??
In addition to the online description, there is even a longer, more detailed list on the jug.

I planned to say no more on this topic, but according to one reviewer, here's what's on the jug (click reviews tab):
Travellerョ Universal Tractor Trans/Hydraulic Fluid, 2 gal. - 0806383 | Tractor Supply Company

My dealer (before he went out of business) said any "premium" UTF should be OK. But "premium" is pretty subjective, IMO. I agree with the reviewer that this kind of information should be more available online.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #24  
If its good enough for a FIAT then its ok by me:)

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #25  
I have used Napa 85-405 which the hydraulic oil recommendation in the owners manual for my DK45s crosses over to. Sending a sample to Blackstone labs is on my list.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/FCT85405

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #26  
I appreciate all the advice. I think I'll go with the Shell Spirax S4TXM. The decal on my tractor says to use Shell Donax TD and the service manual lists Donax TD as one of four recommended UTFs. Siprax S4TXM replaced Donax TD according to Shell, this may just be a name change as far as I can tell. Apparently Shell now calls many different kinds of lubricants Spirax xxxx, where xxxx is a cryptic string of characters, so the S4TXM is critical in defining the particular lubricant. The shell facts sheet:
http://www-static.shell.com/static/marine_products/downloads/pdf/lubricants/applications/Spirax S4 TXM.pdf
identifies several manufacturer's specs (like John Deere) that S4TXM satisfies. On the other hand, I can't find any similar data on the Tractor Supply Traveller Premium UTF (just general statements). The TSC product may be just fine but I decided against it because TSC provides so little data. I'm sure the Mobil product is great but I don't know a convenient local source.

By the way, I notice the UTF left a darker film on the lower part of the dipstick so I'm just going to change the UTF even if it might test OK. The selling dealer (bought second hand) said he did the 50 hour service but I can't be sure that included new UTF. Also, I note that the decal and an older owner's manual say to change the UTF at 300 hours but a newer owner's manual and the shop manual say to change at 400 hr intervals. In any case, I think it's time for new UTF.
One thing to remember. Tsc stores their hydraulic fluids out side uncovered. Not even a tarp (which they sell) over them. So the stuff gets contaminated with water. I was flushing my fluids out of my new holland which got contaminated by hooking up a old backhoe attachment i bought. Bought some of their oil dumped it in only ti find the bottom of the pail was all water and had to drain that out as well. Buyer beware. Best thing to do is dump it in a clean pail first before adding it to the tractor. Which is what i did after returning it. The manager said he talked to cooperate about it and they did nothing which is what he did to hence the tarp statement.

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #27  
Did someone mention Type 303 hydraulic oil?

/ Hydraulic Fluid Recommendations?? #28  
I worked in the lube oil processing area for 31 years but never with actual formulations, but we were privy to the research going on in formulation areas.

Think hydraulic fluid is a highly processed (at least in solvent or hydrotreated oil areas) oil with probably very few additives, probably just seal swell additive. Doubt you could go wrong in buying it anywhere. It has to meet the specs.

Synthetic would be better but hardly worth the price. Hydraulic oil likely never gets above 100 F and isn't being polluted by blowby gases like engine oil.

I'd just buy the lightest one allowed by your manufacturer, as it'll protect better during cold startups.