Hydraulic fluid

/ Hydraulic fluid #41  
   / Hydraulic fluid #42  
There is a video on YouTube where 9 major brands of "hydraulic fluid lab testing" are tested by Blackstone labs, including Traveller. It should come up with a quick search of the phrase. All 9 brands were very similar except for UDT2 which was way way thinner at both hot and cold temps and also UDT2 was low on additives. Perhaps there are some proprietary additives out there or some base oil magic that makes UDT2 great but doesn't show up in lab tests or spec sheets? The video even has pricing comparisons of each brand. Pretty much all you'd need to make a decision except for base oil percentages and the detailed manufacturer specification ranges they would give to an aftermarket producer, but keep in mind that brands like Mobile and Shell perform ASTM standard testing on their fluids so spec sheets are apples to apples comparisons. Traveller though, I have never seen published spec claims for their fluid.

/ Hydraulic fluid #43  
My experience with the TSC fluid had not been good, possibly for different reason than one might think. I purchased a very hard whipped Ford 5000 a few years back and of course it was full of water everywhere. Even so everything worked surprisingly well except for the wet brakes. Long story short I wanted to flush water out and after a quick run of diesel and drain that 303 fluid had the New Holland spec on it and was 1/2 the price of everything else. Chattering brakes continued and water somehow found it’s way even though the tractor never saw rain or condensation producing conditions. Went to get fence posts one day and noticed all the fluids were kept outside on skids. In full weather. So it may not have been the fluid in itself. As far as the dealers I’ve worked for no oem fluid was there. Bulk tanks with a local oil company supplier to fill them. Just because you get your tractor serviced at a dealership does not guarantee genuine “oem” fluid.

• Good Post
Reactions: D&D
   / Hydraulic fluid #45  
Anyone use Mystic JT5?

/ Hydraulic fluid #46  
I picked up the Kioti filters Interesting about not changing the fluid. Is that recommended in service manual? I'm at 900hrs I thought the hydro fluid should be changed every 400hrs, I'm a little over since my last change at 400

/ Hydraulic fluid #47  
Had to replace the HD oil on my Kioti 25 because I had to destroy the Hydro filter at 200 hr to remove it! No type of oil filter wrench would loosen the dam thing! I had to put a punch through the filter to loosen and of course replace the oil, all of it! don't get me started on the problems with Kioti.

/ Hydraulic fluid #48  
I ran hundreds of skid steers for years with 10w30 engine oil in the hydraulic systems. Replaced a couple of charge pumps but had extremely good results considering the thousands of hours of machine time. The big challenge is the wet brakes.

/ Hydraulic fluid #49  
Had to replace the HD oil on my Kioti 25 because I had to destroy the Hydro filter at 200 hr to remove it! No type of oil filter wrench would loosen the dam thing! I had to put a punch through the filter to loosen and of course replace the oil, all of it! don't get me started on the problems with Kioti.
I don’t get it. Yes I understand the frustration due to the tight filter (any tractor brand can have similar issue), but at 200 hours the oil was due for a change anyways. Maybe you could elaborate “on the problems with Kioti”?

Last edited:
   / Hydraulic fluid #50  
That's because they paint over the filter at the factory ... another member posted on here a little while back with a video of the Kioti tractor assembly line showing the frame getting painted and you can clearly see the paint being sprayed on over the filters.

I had the same issue when I did my initial 50hr svc, even after using a razor to cut the paint at the base, it took me 2 filter wrenches simultaneously, with a breaker bar and a 2nd helper, to finally crack the filter loose.