Hydraulic top link issues

/ Hydraulic top link issues #21  
I didn't try drilling out the restrictors. I thought if a restrictor so closed that it's causing my system to slightly squeal doesn't help the problem, drilling it out probably wouldn't either. :)

I don't think I've tried feathering the valve. that might be something to play with for experimental purposes for sure.

After 4 years I think I've repeated complete cycles many hundreds of times. :)

I have taken the rod end coupler off the hose and with it above the cylinder, filled the hose with oil and replaced the coupler. Did that a couple times also. Helps momentarily. First time cylinder is moved I'm back to original problem.

I think the cylinder moving faster than the system allows oil to enter is the situation my friend was referring to. Might be sucking air thru the valve from the "tank" line if it dumps above oil level. I'm pretty sure it does, but haven't followed up on that.

This is only noticeable when using something such as a ground engaging tool like a BB. When using the brush cutter I never notice it because there's no compression forces applied to the cylinder.

The OP has exactly the same problem I have. That's why I'm curious to see a solution for him, if there is ever one reported. :)

/ Hydraulic top link issues #22  
My OEM Kubota toplink and sidelink have restrictors built into them. They make a squealing sound if a big adjustment is made.

/ Hydraulic top link issues #23  
My OEM Kubota toplink and sidelink have restrictors built into them. They make a squealing sound if a big adjustment is made.

That squealing sound is your hydraulic system pressure relief valve going into bypass. Not a good situation to be in frequently.

/ Hydraulic top link issues #24  
That squealing sound is your hydraulic system pressure relief valve going into bypass. Not a good situation to be in frequently.

Again, feathering the valve a bit should take care of the squealing-relief valve opening. And besides that, that is exactly what the relief valve is for, relief, thus the name, relief valve. Yes if you were constantly making adjustments all day, it would heat up the fluid more than usual and that is not a good thing. There is definitely something wrong some where if you are constantly having air or a vacumn in the system. Honestly, I don't know how you can stand it operating a box blade.

I would still consider opening up the restrictors to .070 if you ever get this problem rectified. Did you ever try the top link on your Ford to see if it has the spongy problem also?

If you think about it, try extending the unit all the way and see if it moves. Then retract it all the way and see if it moves. I'm actually starting to think that it will only move when retracted all the way (extends on it's own) which indicates bad piston seals. :(

/ Hydraulic top link issues #25  
Again, feathering the valve a bit should take care of the squealing-relief valve opening. And besides that, that is exactly what the relief valve is for, relief, thus the name, relief valve. Yes if you were constantly making adjustments all day, it would heat up the fluid more than usual and that is not a good thing. There is definitely something wrong some where if you are constantly having air or a vacumn in the system. Honestly, I don't know how you can stand it operating a box blade.

I would still consider opening up the restrictors to .070 if you ever get this problem rectified. Did you ever try the top link on your Ford to see if it has the spongy problem also?

If you think about it, try extending the unit all the way and see if it moves. Then retract it all the way and see if it moves. I'm actually starting to think that it will only move when retracted all the way (extends on it's own) which indicates bad piston seals. :(
He probably burned the seals up when he welded the ends on it.

/ Hydraulic top link issues #27  
Brian, how would having the return line above fluid allow it to suck air? The return on wood splitters is above the fluid.

/ Hydraulic top link issues #28  
I'll try drilling the restrictors. Also will experiment with feathering but don't consider that a fix.

I'll also swap the cylinders between tractors

As to the cylinder piston seals, I ain't touchin that subject here. ;)

/ Hydraulic top link issues #29  
   / Hydraulic top link issues #30  
I'll try drilling the restrictors. Also will experiment with feathering but don't consider that a fix.

I'll also swap the cylinders between tractors

As to the cylinder piston seals, I ain't touchin that subject here. ;)

See how it acts on the Ford and go from there. I would do nothing else until you see how it acts on the Ford.