Hydro fun…. NOT!

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #1  

RadarTech

Elite Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota L3400, YANMAR YT359C
welp… after swapping EVERY FEL attachment today multiple times to get work done, when the grapple did not want to connect back on, I got uber frustrated..

Bought the hydro tool from here and found this one—

Not sure which one will be better…
But I’m gonna put them head to head and figure it out…

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #3  
Why spend $90 when you can make your own tool from one of these for $12:

P1090124b.jpg
P1090123b.jpg

Open up the jaws with an angle grinder to fit the notch in the coupler body. Takes 5 minutes.

P1090127c.jpg

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #4  
Still don't relieve the static pressure under the ball check and my Pioneer fitting collars retract easily anyway. I see no logical reason to buy the tool on here as all I do is take a hardwood dowel slightly smaller than the check ball and whack it with a small hammer (with the fitting pointed away from me) to relieve the pressure so I can couple the fittings. Of course I keep the sliding collars lubricated as well.

I have 3 sets (6 couplers) out back on each of my tractors and at least 2 sets on each of my implements as well.

Not about to spend 49 bucks or whatever they cost, when a dowel rod for under a buck works just fine.

/ Hydro fun…. NOT!
I see all your points.. and yes, always a cheaper way…

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #6  
Why not just plumb in a tee with a ball valve to relieve pressure to the other side? Then no tools are needed at all?

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #7  
Why not just plumb in a tee with a ball valve to relieve pressure to the other side? Then no tools are needed at all?
I did this at first, but the price of the "plumbing" parts for 2 tractors and 8 hydraulic implements would far exceed the cost of the above tools.

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #8  
I did this at first, but the price of the "plumbing" parts for 2 tractors and 8 hydraulic implements would far exceed the cost of the above tools.
It would just need to be on the tractor.

/ Hydro fun…. NOT!
It would just need to be on the tractor.
I respectfully disagree..
Yesterday’s struggle was on 2 different attachments…. The post puller and the grapple. They were pulled off when it was cold… and it got HOT.. so the hydro expanded…

On the Yanmar I have, all the attachment side are male ends with the female ends on the tractor. IF I was to do t’s I’d have to 4 on the attachments, and then what about the top and tilt? I see a couple reasons to remove one..
so another set of 4?

More times than I can care to count I’ve taped the male end and gotten a splash of hydro fluid.. for the female end I once broke a piece of dowel and that was sooo much fun getting it out… since I had 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 I only used a dowel that fit all 3… that was a mistake that cost me HOURS OF FUN.. sarcasm off..

So with that said, I like the the clamp or the pressure releaser that will work on any and all.. in the end, I’m a due diligence guy.. if I can spend $80 or even $150 and have a proven tool, and not have to spent 2 hours monkeying with some homemade tool that is not perfect.. I’ll spend that $80 everytime..

I see it all of your ideas as options I didn’t know or think of before.. one of my biggest problems is just not enough time.. 2 young kids, a small business, and lots of things to do.. losing 15-30 for what should be a 2 min change just is not enticing..

The PT Squared tool.. or the X boom..
I see cases where one will work better than the other.. and where sometimes both may be a good idea..

… not meant to be disrespectful.. or cast a shadow on anyone’s idea.. just wanted to give my thought process..

And Leatherneck!!
Semper Fi!
1990-1999 SSgt.. but I was an Air Winger…

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #10  
I use a nylon rod - shop towel - deadblow hammer. Nylon rod is six inches long - 3/4" in diameter. Hold the rod on the ball - in the hydraulic fitting. Wrap the shop towel around the rod and fitting - tap the end of the rod with the deadblow hammer. Pressure is relieved - fittings slip together easily.