Hydro fun…. NOT!

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #11  
I was an air winger, Huey’s and Cobras 99-05

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #12  
I use the Waite Tool, not cheap, but once and done.
I have to use it almost every time with my grapple.
Been worth the $75 for sure.

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #13  
Have you guys tried NOT disconnecting your implements with the cylinders in the FULL open or closed position?

When I set an implement down with the intent to drop it, I make it a point to bump the cylinder(s) back toward the "center" position an inch or so. For example, instead of opening or closing a grapple to the extreme travel position, bump it back toward "center" so that the cylinder is not under full system pressure on one side and the hydraulic hoses aren't flexed under full pressure.

If I do this, I really don't have trouble hooking it back up. Any pressure buildup due to temperature changes seem to equal out on both sides of the cylinder. And this prevents me from trying to fight against a fitting that has a fully stressed/flexed hose and cylinder with several thousand PSI against it.

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #14  
Why spend $90 when you can make your own tool from one of these for $12:

View attachment 857653 View attachment 857652

Open up the jaws with an angle grinder to fit the notch in the coupler body. Takes 5 minutes.

View attachment 857654

That's a really cool solution. But . . . I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find it when I needed it. I'm not organized enough . . . or else I'm just too scattered out . . .

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #15  
I respectfully disagree..
Yesterday’s struggle was on 2 different attachments…. The post puller and the grapple. They were pulled off when it was cold… and it got HOT.. so the hydro expanded…

On the Yanmar I have, all the attachment side are male ends with the female ends on the tractor. IF I was to do t’s I’d have to 4 on the attachments, and then what about the top and tilt? I see a couple reasons to remove one..
so another set of 4?

More times than I can care to count I’ve taped the male end and gotten a splash of hydro fluid.. for the female end I once broke a piece of dowel and that was sooo much fun getting it out… since I had 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4 I only used a dowel that fit all 3… that was a mistake that cost me HOURS OF FUN.. sarcasm off..

So with that said, I like the the clamp or the pressure releaser that will work on any and all.. in the end, I’m a due diligence guy.. if I can spend $80 or even $150 and have a proven tool, and not have to spent 2 hours monkeying with some homemade tool that is not perfect.. I’ll spend that $80 everytime..

I see it all of your ideas as options I didn’t know or think of before.. one of my biggest problems is just not enough time.. 2 young kids, a small business, and lots of things to do.. losing 15-30 for what should be a 2 min change just is not enticing..

The PT Squared tool.. or the X boom..
I see cases where one will work better than the other.. and where sometimes both may be a good idea..

… not meant to be disrespectful.. or cast a shadow on anyone’s idea.. just wanted to give my thought process..

And Leatherneck!!
Semper Fi!
1990-1999 SSgt.. but I was an Air Winger…

If you really want to use a "handtool" to solve the problem, why not just carry a couple open-end wrenches and break a flare fitting loose at the hose-end at the cylinder? A couple drips there is all you need and it's a nice solid access point. And you already have the wrenches . . .

/ Hydro fun…. NOT!
If you really want to use a "handtool" to solve the problem, why not just carry a couple open-end wrenches and break a flare fitting loose at the hose-end at the cylinder? A couple drips there is all you need and it's a nice solid access point. And you already have the wrenches . . .
Valid comment.. and depends on where I am..or if it’s raining, snow.. etc. it’s not much different using those tools to release versus breaking the seal..
I see both sides.. I see the 2 tools as faster than breaking it loose and tightening..

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #18  
Valid comment.. and depends on where I am..or if it’s raining, snow.. etc. it’s not much different using those tools to release versus breaking the seal..
I see both sides.. I see the 2 tools as faster than breaking it loose and tightening..

Do you think your problem is that you're shutting it down with the cylinder fully extended or retracted? It could just be that simple. If you put 3000 PSI against the end of the cylinder with a hose that's fully expanded and stressed, there's LOTS of pressure on one end and NO pressure on the other end. This is what causes one fitting to go on with zero resistance and the other one to be problematic.

If you move the cylinder slightly so it's not FULLY extended or retracted, then the implement and cylinder actually have a slight bit of play. The flexibility and expansion/contraction within the hoses provides for slight movement. I've never had to relieve pressure or fight a quick-connect except when I've left the cylinder fully jammed to its open or closed limit.

/ Hydro fun…. NOT! #19  
That's a really cool solution. But . . . I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to find it when I needed it. I'm not organized enough . . . or else I'm just too scattered out . . .
I use this tool and it stays on the tractor.

P1090123a.jpg

I carry it in one of these so it's always handy:

P1060220.JPG P1060221.JPG

/ Hydro fun…. NOT!