Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . .

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #21  
Is it possible that you inadvertently left the loader control in "float"?

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . .
bearhawk said:

I thought about that but I don't think so.

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #23  
bearhawk said:
I'm thinking the "float" function affects the lift cylinders only, so as to allow the bucket to follow ground contour; I've never noticed any effect on the curl cylinders

Patches said:
I'm thinking the "float" function affects the lift cylinders only, so as to allow the bucket to follow ground contour; I've never noticed any effect on the curl cylinders
Valid point . . .

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #25  
My bucket does the same thing if left for a while. But as soon as I dump/curl the bucket cylinders regain their rigidity. I can't find a solution, but I've lifted some awfully heavy stuff without problems and still no change.

The regen circuit makes sense, as it only happens when there is no pressure on either sides of the cylinders. But why wouldn't the regen valve be closed?

crashz said:
My bucket does the same thing if left for a while. But as soon as I dump/curl the bucket cylinders regain their rigidity. I can't find a solution, but I've lifted some awfully heavy stuff without problems and still no change.

This seems to be as close to a description of my problem as I can come up with as well. Bucket works fine, I work the h3ll out of it too. :confused:

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #27  
It's most likely caused by cavitation. More or less you have created a small air pocket before you shut it down. Completely normal and nothing to worry about. Do a search and you will find LOTS of info on it. I don't think I have ever seen a loader that did not do this sometimes.

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #28  
So my 401 loader has the float function, and I've discovered that the rollback function does 'float', just like the lift function. Further, the float feature does not 'go away' (at least not on the rollback axis) if the joystick is returned to the main neutral position. I actually have to apply control and force the bucket to roll one direction or another to pull it out of the float feature. So, is it possible you are laying the bucket out and hitting the float feature, then finding later that rollback has no control?

I tried duplicating your scenario after figuring out this aspect of 'float', but I couldn't make my bucket enter 'rollback float' just sitting on the ground. But once I forced it to do travel, it was pretty much a limp noodle until I forced it to move under pressure again.

For what it's worth....

ShilohAcresSupporter said:
So my 401 loader has the float function, and I've discovered that the rollback function does 'float', just like the lift function. Further, the float feature does not 'go away' (at least not on the rollback axis) if the joystick is returned to the main neutral position. I actually have to apply control and force the bucket to roll one direction or another to pull it out of the float feature. So, is it possible you are laying the bucket out and hitting the float feature, then finding later that rollback has no control?

I tried duplicating your scenario after figuring out this aspect of 'float', but I couldn't make my bucket enter 'rollback float' just sitting on the ground. But once I forced it to do travel, it was pretty much a limp noodle until I forced it to move under pressure again.

For what it's worth....

Could indeed be. Worth a try for sure.

/ Hydro problem/KL401 loader . . . #30  
So, contrary to what I thought was happening before, my dealer assures me the 401 loader does not have the float feature on the bucket tip axis. I still can get it to sometimes produce that behavior (where the bucket tip angle follows the dirt pile) when using float mode, but it doesn't do it all the time.

I've since seen that the bucket will not roll completely down smoothly. It hangs up a few inches short sometimes. So, clearly I have no clue what is going on with it..... but ignore my claim that it 'floats' in the roll axis....

Sorry for the confusion, but I'm basically confused :)