Loader Hydrolic Value

/ Hydrolic Value #21  
I have the 284 and it is an open center system.
Those 2 sites are incorrect.
I sent an Email to the first and will call the second tomorrow to ask them to correct their sites.
RonJ

erj

Thanks, I am glad you corrected that. Those were the only sites that listed the GPM, and the type system.

greg_g,

I do fully understand the differences of open center, and closed center hydraulic system.

/ Hydrolic Value #22  
Any idea how the valve cracked. Were you working on anything, or switching things around. Valves usually crack because the fluid has no place to go, and if the pump is strong enough, then something downstream will let break.

When did you find the crack, before you installed the loader, or afterwards.

/ Hydrolic Value #23  
My 284 has a open center system for sure. I have modified it highly adding rear remotes, a hook up for my log splitter, ect. I am 100% sure its open center. I also changed my loader valve.

Since you have 7 hoses you will need a Power Beyond kit. I would just order the adapters. They will cost you $10 and may save tons of frustration. You could not pay for the gas to drive 30 miles to get some if you did need them.

As for the valve cracking my guess is it had or got water in it and froze. This is strange since it was not even connected to your tractor when it failed.

Chris

/ Hydrolic Value
It was very strange. I have never had any problems with the loader. I took it to a dealer because the rear seal was leaking. He told me that he dropped the loader, disconnected it. He said he was standing towards the front and it exploded through the side. He told me that if someone was standing next to it, they could have been killed. I can't understand how it would still have pressure if nothing was connected.

Sounds strange to me.

/ Hydrolic Value #25  
If the loader were up, then disconnected via the quick-connects, and then dropped, it MIGHT create enough pressure in the valve to crack it. Sounds like the dealer screwed up to me.

/ Hydrolic Value #26  
Why not call Spirit Implements and ask? They have a toll free number and boast about good customer service - http://www.spiritmfg.com/

For what it's worth, on my Jinma 354LE with the Chinese ZL-30 loader I used that same Brand valve to replace my valve. I did not need power beyond. I did not need adapters as I had new hoses made. It works much better than the original.

I see in post #6 Brad has a link to Spirit install instructions, page 4 of that link has pictures and mentions power beyond, so you'll probably need the sleeve, but can't say for sure. As for GPM, the valve is fine, all you'll need to worry about is whether you need power beyond (get the sleeve, it's cheap enough, and you can install it or not depending on the requirement), mechanical mounting considerations, and connections. Spirit should be able to advise you on all this. My Brand mounted right up to my ZL-30, but note I needed new hoses (or adapters) because my loader was Chinese.

I say again, call Spirit and get their input. I agree with Chris (or Rich) in the posts below the dealer screwed up and ker-blooie!

Last edited:
   / Hydrolic Value #27  
I dont think you are getting the full story. Now that we have it here is what I think happened.

The dealer did not know what he was doing. More than likely he was going to drop the loader so he pulled the tractor to where he was going to drop it. He DID NOT shut off the tractor. He then went to unhooking the hoses to the input, output, and power beyond. My guess is he unhooked either the power beyond or output first and it dead headed the pump. There was no where for the hydraulic pressure to go so the weakest component failed. Usually this is the pump or the pump seal.

Keep a eye on your pump and hydraulic level. If the level starts going down check you engine oil level. If the seal between the pump and the engine is blown it will happen.

I would bet my lunch money the dealer screwed up. Its weird that the valve failed before the seal I mentioned first but anything is possible.

Chris

/ Hydrolic Value #28  
Yeah, a cast iron valve body busting before an aluminum pump body blows would make me wonder. That's why I'm guessing the buy collapsed the loader cylinders into a closed set of hydraulic lines on the loader itself and blew the valve body.

I maintain that the dealer screwed the pooch and it was NOT a defective valve body - a bad valve would have blown long ago under use of the loader. That's why they have pressure relief bypass valves built into them, isn't it? But with the hoses connected together there would be nowhere for the pressure to relieve itself to, if you see where I'm going wit this.

Disclaimer: I'm a complete tyro when it comes to hydraulics so I could be way out in left field on this one.:confused:

Rich

/ Hydrolic Value #29  
It was very strange. I have never had any problems with the loader. I took it to a dealer because the rear seal was leaking. He told me that he dropped the loader, disconnected it. He said he was standing towards the front and it exploded through the side. He told me that if someone was standing next to it, they could have been killed. I can't understand how it would still have pressure if nothing was connected.

Sounds strange to me.
Something just isn't right. A hose would have blown before a valve body.

On a more cheery note, it appears that your existing ORB adapters will fit the new Brand valve (at least some), and that your existing hose ends appear to be JIC.:thumbsup: