Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #121  
If the power went out, from the Mystical Button or from a natural event like sun activity, comets, etc, the industrial world, or a large portion there of, would cease to exist. No power, no water. After a few days people will have to look for water. There will be enough food for a few weeks but water will be the immediate problem and will cause people to start moving. Then movement will be looking for food and avoiding the anarchy. Within a month, millions will have died from lack of health care, violence, and bad/lack of water. As weeks pass, and food is used up, people will start to die from hunger related illness and starvation. Violence will be a big cause of death as people fight over resources. In a year I would think a large percentage of the population of most countries would be dead. The US with a larger, emptier, land mass would do much better than Europe. What would happen in the UK, Ireland, China, Japan, Taiwan, and India would be really ugly.

If this was a world wide event billions of people would die in a year or two as the "system" equalized between the need of resources, the skill to get those resources and the number needing resources. Honestly, I would think the US population would decrease by hundreds of millions of people. There would be mass depopulation within that first year or two. Being prepared with a year supply of food might get you through if you can avoid the Reavers. (Reavers are the name of the whacked out cannibalistic, ultra violent, ubber rapist, "people" in the Fire Fly series. Excellent series, acting and story line, so of course, the series was canceled.)

This would not be the end of humanity but it would be a new Dark Age that would take a century or so to recover. Stephen King's "The Stand" and "Lucifier's Hammer" by Niven and Pournelle paint a reasonable picture of what that doomsday would look like. It ain't pretty. By a "century or so to recover" I don't mean that humanity would have been able to rebuild to the point before the event. I mean recover in the sense that there would be more law and order and less anarchy. Very likely, we would still have city/town states, warlords, chieftains, and maybe states in some sense of the word, with some level of technology that was reasonably advanced.

It would really stink, literally and figuratively, for a very long time.

Later,
Dan

Last edited:
   / Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #122  
I always liked the Mad Max movies and Red Dawn etc I am real sucker for doomsday scenarios I cant resist watching every one that comes out must be why zombies are such a hit with me. :D

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #123  
I always liked the Mad Max movies and Red Dawn etc I am real sucker for doomsday scenarios I cant resist watching every one that comes out must be why zombies are such a hit with me. :D

Me too....I love those..especially Red Dawn....I thought that was about as realistic as it could be..I could see a similar scenario actually taking place....Did you ever watch the series that was on...." Jerico " ? My wife and I really enjoyed that and I still think the govt. had some influence on cancelling the series...

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #124  
Me too....I love those..especially Red Dawn....I thought that was about as realistic as it could be..I could see a similar scenario actually taking place....Did you ever watch the series that was on...." Jerico " ? My wife and I really enjoyed that and I still think the govt. had some influence on cancelling the series...

Oh **** yes I watched Jericho loved that show plus it was depicted in western Kansas! There is a dvd set at waly world in the tv series section fyi has both seasons wish it would come back on. I agree it hit pretty close to home as far as the goobermint was concerned....

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #125  
Oh **** yes I watched Jericho loved that show plus it was depicted in western Kansas! There is a dvd set at waly world in the tv series section fyi has both seasons wish it would come back on. I agree it hit pretty close to home as far as the goobermint was concerned....

If you have Netflix you can watch the whole series....I love Netflix...for $9.00 or so a month we stay busy watching all the old TV series that we loved plus so many movies...

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #126  
There is a satellite network which is capable of permanently shutting down all electrical machinery and appliances of any kind. The satellite network is controlled by a computer, which is controlled by a small hand-held remote device.

Enter a code then push a button and that's it. No electrical power grid, no TV, no internet, no cell phones, no cars, no nothing. We would effectively and permanently be thrown back into the stone age within seconds.

Would you push the button?

NO.. Not only would I not push the button, but I would do everything in my power to destroy "the button" so that no one else could push it. You know it is one thing to think through thought problems like this, and nothing wrong with that, but to actually have "a button" and to even think about pushing it is just insane to me. This button would be worse or just as bad as all the atomic weapons the world has all set off at once. Do I like the direction the world is headed... no. but it is not up to me to say "because I don't like the direction the world is headed" lets kill a few billion of them off?.. That is just insane. For those of you that say mankind will adapt, sure a few will survive and adapt.. but not the majority. I know I could not survive long term. I sure hope no-one builds that button, I sure hope a CME event like the one in 1859 never happens again. We have very little warning systems, and as far as I know no plans to take the grid off line to save the transmission equipment. No we are sure not prepared for any "button pushing"

James K0UA

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #127  
That is just insane. For those of you that say mankind will adapt, sure a few will survive and adapt.. but not the majority. I know I could not survive long term. I sure hope no-one builds that button,

James, I ditto all you posted , well done...That is what scares me about nukes and such...there are radicals that well could push the button...they'd rather die than live...very scary.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #128  
Yup the chances are slim many would make it on their own w/o help and the ones that are self sufficient will be at war with the rest. There was a show here last year called the colony thats another shtf show very interesting what people do to survive.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #129  
+1 on firefly, Jericho , and the colony. I think stephen kings "The Stand" did a great way of portraying some of the other ways besides violence that people can meet their maker after an "event".
Think of how dangerous using a chainsaw is, and having to drop trees for firewood, or getting and infection, etc. Awareness of your surroundings will be a huge skill. I just found a site that offers kits to convert 5 gallon water containers into filters (think the berkley filters). They were pretty cheap and if you type in truth(or google for their promo code) you will get 10% off. I picked up a kit it should be in this week. Homespun Environmental

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario
NO.. Not only would I not push the button, but I would do everything in my power to destroy "the button" so that no one else could push it. You know it is one thing to think through thought problems like this, and nothing wrong with that, but to actually have "a button" and to even think about pushing it is just insane to me. This button would be worse or just as bad as all the atomic weapons the world has all set off at once. Do I like the direction the world is headed... no. but it is not up to me to say "because I don't like the direction the world is headed" lets kill a few billion of them off?.. That is just insane. For those of you that say mankind will adapt, sure a few will survive and adapt.. but not the majority. I know I could not survive long term. I sure hope no-one builds that button, I sure hope a CME event like the one in 1859 never happens again. We have very little warning systems, and as far as I know no plans to take the grid off line to save the transmission equipment. No we are sure not prepared for any "button pushing"

I must admit that I'm surprised at the direction this thread has taken. It reminds me of a witch hunt, where someone mentions that the button could "kill millions", and all of the sudden you'd think that the world really was coming to an end. Do any of you understand what the original intent of this thread was really about? It probably won't do any good, but I'll attempt to explain... yet again.

When I originally created this thread, I happened to be reading an article (on my computer) about the future of technology and our overdependence upon it. When I'm on the computer, I like to leave the TV on to provide a little background noise, and as luck would have it a 90's movie titled "Escape from LA" happened to be on. Specifically, a scene where Snake Plissken pushes "the button" caught my attention, which led me to start thinking about what might happen if such a button really existed.

Obviously, if such a button existed, the results of pushing it would be nothing short of catastrophic. You turn off the power and the world goes insane, but that only serves to further illustrate just how dependent we've become on technology. In fact, our very lives depend upon it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as dependent upon modern technology as the next person. The computer I'm using to type this message, the cell phone I use to call my wife and tell her I'm going to be late for dinner, the power that's running my central air conditioner, the TV that's allowing me to keep up to date on the latest news and weather, the tools I'm using to restore my tractor, and even my tractor itself. It's all modern technology and I love it.

However, there's something to be said about the merits of turning it all off from time to time. I could say exactly what those merits are, but they're specific to each individual, and greatly dependent upon your specific goals and/or interests.

Suffice it to say that buttons much like the one mentioned in my original post already exist. In fact, there are millions if not billions of them all over the world. The only difference is that the buttons don't affect the power to the entire world. Computers, cell phones, and countless other gadgets all have power buttons with that iconic symbol (circle broken with a line) on them.

Go ahead, you can push the button and the world won't come to an end. Or will it?