Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #131  
It is certainly apparent that you have a definite tendency to intercede when the post is or was not directed toward you. Are you over endowed with ESP? How do you know what I meant in regards to Checkers and Chess? You stated, "is also a derogatory swipe at one with inferior intellect". That was your assumption based on your comment, not mine. I challenge you to find proof in my posts regarding your accusation. I even stated that I regard the OP as a fairly decent individual. Conceitedness is not an attribute, therefore you shouldn't attempt to intercede when the post was not directed at you. How dare you even mention my Mother in your reply. This is between you and me now. Game on. Bring it on. Hit me with your best shot. Just for your info, I mentioned the struggle that my Mother lived through as an example that Pushing The Button would result in many deaths from starvation. attn# Blitzn--Don't you ever attempt to read something into my post that wasn't there. And don't ever mention my Mother again. Understood? Yes, it is a Free Country, but I am not protecting myself behind this keyboard. My home town is clearly visible. Anytime you want to visit, give me a call. My area is full of Southern Hopitality and MANNERS. Just a thought.

Creekbend,
1) Anything on a forum is open to anyone discussing.
2) The only place I have ever seen such a comparison is when people belittle others as being checker players instead of chess - due to weaker minds. When using analogies - one should take care then so as to not be misconstrued.
3) You brought your mother (and the Germans) into it by holding her up as an example.
4) You didn't answer the question - your mother is an example people survive.
5) I moved for work from Trussville, AL (home to H&K) - Heart of Dixie - get over yourself and your location. My location is displayed also, as well as the original posters. Congrats - you're not alone, nor superior to the rest of us, neither am I.

Last edited:
   / Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #132  
Go ahead, you can push the button and the world won't come to an end. Or will it?

Guess we'll all find out someday.....it also depends upon the extents. Some here seem to think that if the govt ceases to provide for us, we'll all perish.
But whether humanity devours itself, or not - we'll have to wait and find out.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #133  
MasseyWV said:
I must admit that I'm surprised at the direction this thread has taken. It reminds me of a witch hunt, where someone mentions that the button could "kill millions", and all of the sudden you'd think that the world really was coming to an end. Do any of you understand what the original intent of this thread was really about? It probably won't do any good, but I'll attempt to explain... yet again.

When I originally created this thread, I happened to be reading an article (on my computer) about the future of technology and our overdependence upon it. When I'm on the computer, I like to leave the TV on to provide a little background noise, and as luck would have it a 90's movie titled "Escape from LA" happened to be on. Specifically, a scene where Snake Plissken pushes "the button" caught my attention, which led me to start thinking about what might happen if such a button really existed.

Obviously, if such a button existed, the results of pushing it would be nothing short of catastrophic. You turn off the power and the world goes insane, but that only serves to further illustrate just how dependent we've become on technology. In fact, our very lives depend upon it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just as dependent upon modern technology as the next person. The computer I'm using to type this message, the cell phone I use to call my wife and tell her I'm going to be late for dinner, the power that's running my central air conditioner, the TV that's allowing me to keep up to date on the latest news and weather, the tools I'm using to restore my tractor, and even my tractor itself. It's all modern technology and I love it.

However, there's something to be said about the merits of turning it all off from time to time. I could say exactly what those merits are, but they're specific to each individual, and greatly dependent upon your specific goals and/or interests.

Suffice it to say that buttons much like the one mentioned in my original post already exist. In fact, there are millions if not billions of them all over the world. The only difference is that the buttons don't affect the power to the entire world. Computers, cell phones, and countless other gadgets all have power buttons with that iconic symbol (circle broken with a line) on them.

Go ahead, you can push the button and the world won't come to an end. Or will it?

I think the vast majority understood completely, I can't imagine you didn't realize that the natural evolution of your scenario post would be a discussion of the consequences.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario
I think the vast majority understood completely, I can't imagine you didn't realize that the natural evolution of your scenario post would be a discussion of the consequences.

I fully realized the discussion would naturally lean towards the consequences, and was deliberately vague in my original post for that very reason. However, I was a bit surprised that it descended into a pissing match so quickly, with people leveling accusations and beating the "killer" mantra as if it were a drum. Then again, after seeing the outcome of other similar TBN threads, I shouldn't be surprised at all.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #135  
Since some of you folks brought up TEOTWAWKI movies...check out "The Road" based upon a novel by Cormac McCarthy (same guy who wrote "No Country for Old Men").

BTW, if it came to that...as far as the urban dwellers trying to escape to the rural areas...well, you gotta think of that as lunch being delivered (Dominoes delivers and no tip necessary)...

Since some of you folks brought up TEOTWAWKI movies...check out "The Road" based upon a novel by Cormac McCarthy (same guy who wrote "No Country for Old Men").

And don't forget World Gone Wild, starring Bruce Dern.

BTW, if it came to that...as far as the urban dwellers trying to escape to the rural areas...well, you gotta think of that as lunch being delivered (Dominoes delivers and no tip necessary)...

Mmmmmm, finger food. Hannibal the Cannibal approved this message. :laughing:

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #137  
Creekbend,
1) Anything on a forum is open to anyone discussing.
2) The only place I have ever seen such a comparison is when people belittle others as being checker players instead of chess - due to weaker minds. When using analogies - one should take care then so as to not be misconstrued.
3) You brought your mother (and the Germans) into it by holding her up as an example.
4) You didn't answer the question - your mother is an example people survive.
5) I moved for work from Trussville, AL (home to H&K) - Heart of Dixie - get over yourself and your location. My location is displayed also, as well as the original posters. Congrats - you're not alone, nor superior to the rest of us, neither am I.
"Once again, I challenge you to find proof in my posts regarding your accusation". These are two of your comments: BTW, these are your words, not mine. "At one with inferior intellect", and "Due to weaker minds". If there was a survey taken that asked this question, "Which individual made derogatory statements full of supposition and guesswork?" You would most definitely win FIRST PRIZE. I have never stated anything in any of my posts that even indicated that I regarded the OP as an individual with "inferior intellect" or possessed a "Weaker Mind". These are your words, quote verbatum. BTW, your location indicates Saint Clair MI. The only time that I, myself have seen any reference to Trussville, AL, was in this post. I am puzzled in regards to another one of your comments, "nor superior to any of us". Supply me with just one example of myself ever stating this or indicating that I was "Superior". You may find the following to be somewhat indicative of your personal behavior. interloper: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #138  
We should have a "Do without technology day". Just try to minimize your technology uses. I am not saying you should turn off your pacemaker, just your cell phone, regular phone, computers, and tv set. Go out and talk to your neighbors and friends. Somebody should start a nation wide campaign on this. How many here could do this? Twenty four hours without TBN.

"Once again, I challenge you to find proof in my posts regarding your accusation". These are two of your comments: BTW, these are your words, not mine. "At one with inferior intellect", and "Due to weaker minds".

Perhaps I (the OP) can help to settle this little debate.

When the Chess v/s Checkers comment was originally made, I interpreted it to mean that I was somehow inferior since Chess is generally more difficult to play than Checkers. I knew that this was not true so I responded in kind, as seen below.

Sincere apologies. I forgot that I was playing Chess with a Checkers player.

I happen to be a very good Chess player, when I want to play.

If there is a lesson to be learned here, it's that one must choose their words carefully because you never know just how they might be interpreted.

/ Hypothetical Doomsday Scenario #140  
We should have a "Do without technology day". Just try to minimize your technology uses. I am not saying you should turn off your pacemaker, just your cell phone, regular phone, computers, and tv set. Go out and talk to your neighbors and friends. Somebody should start a nation wide campaign on this. How many here could do this? Twenty four hours without TBN.

I'd go with that idea Bob. I think Sunday would be the most logical day to close up everything that isn't critical, turn off the phones, etc.
We need to get off the senseless treadmill life has devolved into. Everybody is always busy but not much worthwhile gets done it seems.

Germany used to use Sundays as a "quiet day" up until the late 1980's. No grass mowing or other noisy activities, just gas stations, entertainment venues and restaurants open for the most part. Then as more families had both spouses going to work, they complained they had no time to get to the stores, which closed at 6pm generally. So, they adopted a more American life style over the objections of the retail business employees' unions. I doubt it has improved their over-all quality of life.

At the very least, it gave families time together since very few people were going to work.