I bent some rod into hooks... Now What?

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #21  
A Co. I do some work for bent about 100 rod hooks to hang metal doors on for painting heated bent dropped into water they all broke next re do and air cool they are all working several years later.

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #22  
it's that whole big crystal vs small crystal thing..

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What?
it's that whole big crystal vs small crystal thing..

Do tell. What's the big crystal vs. small crystal thing? Which method creates which condition and what are the consequences?

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #24  
slow cool makes larger grains usually.. thus more ductile.. but softer.

fast cool makes smaller grains.. generally a bit 'harder' ( carefull on that term ), but also more brittle.

For instance.. some metals work harden and get brittle easilly.. like copper.. and then you can aneal them by heating and slow cooling.. etc..

i'm not a that kind of an engineer (mechanical).. but that's the 'farmer 101' version of it....

soundguy

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #25  
prolly would advise quenching them, my dad was a blacksmith, he heated thingsof that nature to a dark cherry color then quenched them in used hydraulic fluid, no explosions or flash fires, careful not to get it on you.used hydraulic fluid has some weird prperties, one of wichis a contact carcinogen.comes from high exposure but why take a chance?

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #26  
I built this cart last summer. Mostly from scrap steel from work. Wheels came from a friends old sprayer. He gave them to me. Bought the seat at a junkyard for $35, shafts from the Amish around $30. Had to put in new wheel bearings on one wheel. Have approx. $100 into it. Not a pretty cart but quite comfortable to ride on. I like sitting up high because easier to see. Luke is Percheron/Quarter horse cross. He is 17 hands and guessing around 1600 lbs.

Attachments

• Luke with cart.jpg
    Luke with cart.jpg
    421.6 KB · Views: 202
   / I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #27  
I like sitting up high because easier to see. Luke is Percheron/Quarter horse cross. He is 17 hands and guessing around 1600 lbs.

Good looking sulky. Being up there in the air like that also gets you out of the exhaust plume. :D

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What?
That's a pretty nice cart. Nice looking horse, too.

/ I bent some rod into hooks... Now What? #29  
Put a hitch on the back of that cart and you can do tractor work.

OP: Those mild steel hooks won't harden and they don't need it. What you did is perfect. Since the radius at the bottom of the hooks is small, it will take a lot more than a pony to straighten them out.