I do not understand

/ I do not understand #1  

ch1ch2

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH 584, NH TC33DA, NH TN95A
I was towing my IH 584 into my garage the other day to work on it. It had blown a hydraulic line and most of the fluid had been pumped out. The range was in neutral, and the gears were in neutral. The tires would not turn unless the clutch was pushed in.
Can anyone explain this to me?

/ I do not understand #2  
Probably the wet brake is engaged when in neutral.

/ I do not understand
Not sure what a wet brake is. It has the left/right foot brake but that is all I am aware of. The emergency brake is not there. The lever and the cable and inside , the brake band, are all gone. So I am feeling very dumb. What is a wet brake and how does it work.

/ I do not understand #4  
Assuming for a second you have a wet brake system it is the functional part of what brakes your tractor, when you want it to stop. It is internal to your transmission and when your hydraulics are working properly and you step on the brake pedal(s) you come to a stop. Note there are no brake components on your wheels, no drums, calipers or shoes; everything is hidden in the transmission. Since you've lost hydraulic fluid it is safe to assume that the wet brake(s) may have locked on, unless you release them by pressing the pedal- seems counterintuitive, but may be how it works when low or out of fluid.:confused3:

/ I do not understand
Ok I can understand how that would work in theory. But, how would pushing in the clutch release the brake?

/ I do not understand
I might need to add....When I first towed it one tire rolled and slid with the direction of travel and the other rotated and slid in reverse. Thats when the clutch was depressed then the tractor rolled as expected. Later a person was not available to depress the clutch and the tractor was dragged with both tires sliding.

/ I do not understand #7  
I might need to add....When I first towed it one tire rolled and slid with the direction of travel and the other rotated and slid in reverse. Thats when the clutch was depressed then the tractor rolled as expected. Later a person was not available to depress the clutch and the tractor was dragged with both tires sliding.

It is still in gear if the tires are doing as described.

/ I do not understand #8  
'Wet brakes' are somewhat like 'wet' motorcycle clutches, but usually with fewer plates. If one sits long enough 'dry' (drained) the plates can rust and stick to the friction discs, and on a motorbike this requires disassembly to free them up. (BTDT)

Had the IH sat for long enough lacking oil, moisture could have entered thru' any vent during seasonal temp cycles. So, did the line rupture last week or during operation last Summer/Fall and it's just now going into the shop? (Did weeks/mos of waiting for service allow condensation to creep in and cause trouble?)

/ I do not understand #9  
I don't think it has anything to do with the brakes. This sounds like the range shifter is jammed and the tractor is stuck in gear, probably low range (since it will roll with the clutch depressed). Can you operate the range shifter lever between fwd and reverse and Hi range easily? It is not unheard-of for the shift linkage to jam on these models of tractors. You can un-jam it sometimes by tapping with a hammer on the ends of one or the other parallel linkage rods that the range shift lever is attached to. They are easily accessed by removing the panel cover behind your left foot when sitting on the tractor. With most of the hyd fluid leaked out, you would lose your brakes!

/ I do not understand
To The old grind: Ok that makes sense. It sat about a month. I can not see any way for it to be the brakes given it rolls fine with the cultch in.
Heywood Jannockitov: I think it has to be stuck in gear but I can't understand with both the range and the gear selectors in neutral. Both lever move easily and feel right.